It is currently Oct 15, 2018 6:06 pm 

Do you or someone you know need some help with a project?
Click here to contact the Neighborhood Action Team.

Reply to topic  [ 4347 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 305, 306, 307, 308, 309, 310, 311 ... 363  Next

Previous topic | Next topic 

Post subject: Re: Interesting Facts
Post Posted: Oct 3, 2017 11:34 am 
Pinecam Hall of Fame poster!
:lol:

“The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.” ~ Socrates

Post Posted: Oct 3, 2017 11:50 am 
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Actually, Henry, I was going to make a snide comment on your weather forecasting accuracy post of the previous day ... because today's weather in Burland is almost completely different from the forecast. But after watching the 11am weather report, I guess everybody BUT Burland appears to be experiencing sun. It has been cold and foggy all morning on Mt. Bailey. I must be generating some kind of weather vortex or something.

Post Posted: Oct 3, 2017 11:56 am 
keg wrote:
Actually, Henry, I was going to make a snide comment on your weather forecasting accuracy post of the previous day ... because today's weather in Burland is almost completely different from the forecast. But after watching the 11am weather report, I guess everybody BUT Burland appears to be experiencing sun. It has been cold and foggy all morning on Mt. Bailey. I must be generating some kind of weather vortex or something.

Yeah, same here in Pine Junction. I was hoping to finish painting my deck when they predicted sun for today. Oh well, so much for that.

But I'm not complaining, though. :hugegrin:

Post Posted: Oct 3, 2017 12:16 pm 
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Yeah, me neither ... not too loudly, anyway. And it does appear that the clouds might finally start to lift here, and the snow on my deck is starting to melt.

Post Posted: Oct 4, 2017 8:44 am 
How Did Isadora Duncan’s Fondness For Flowing Scarves Contribute To Her Death?

Isadora Duncan broke all the rules with her new style of dance in the early 1900s.

Isadora Duncan

Kicking off traditional ballet shoes and wearing loose, revealing robes, she tried to show her audiences how beautiful a woman’s moving body can be.

At the time that was shocking to most American audiences, but Europeans admired her daring dances.

Duncan was known for wearing a long, flowing scarf, but one scarf killed her. It got caught in the spokes of a car wheel and broke her neck when the car started moving.

In Depth

Post Posted: Oct 5, 2017 8:43 am 
What Was “Wounded Knee II” And When Did The Protest Take Place?

First, an historical reminder:

Then, in 1973:

In the early 1970s, older traditional Lakota on the Pine Ridge Indian Reservation in South Dakota were being harassed by the reservation’s police force.

Lakota Indians

To bring attention to their plight, a group of young activists (calling themselves the American Indian Movement) joined with the elders in 1973 to take over the site of the Wounded Knee Massacre.

Living in a trading post and church, hundreds of protesters occupied Wounded Knee for 71 days, as the police and FBI armed with rifles and machine guns swarmed nearby.

The bravery and determination of the Wounded Knee activists impressed people throughout the world. For non-Indians, the protest was a lesson in the injustices Indians have suffered throughout history.

For Indians, it was an inspiration to fight for Indian rights and work to improve the lives of their people.

Wounded Knee I

Wounded Knee II

Post Posted: Oct 6, 2017 8:36 am 
The Peter Principle Explains Why So Much Goes Wrong

Have you ever felt like the entire world was completely incompetent at their jobs? Hate to break it to you, but this might actually be the case. That's according to the Peter Principle, which states that in a hierarchy (like a government or a corporation), every employee tends to rise to the level of his or her incompetence. The principle's author, educational scholar Dr. Laurence J. Peter, restated it in another way: rather than the cream rising to the top, "the cream rises until it sours."

Laurence J. Peter

It makes sense: if you're good at your job, you'll be promoted. If you're not good at your job, you won't. People are rarely demoted, regardless of their job performance. This means that an employee will continue to be promoted until they reach a position for which they're unfit. Because they do poorly in that position, they aren't promoted to a higher one, and they're stuck being incompetent at their job.

This principle may sound tongue-in-cheek, but it has sinister implications in the real world. From transit delays and internet outages to oil spills and rocket explosions, how many of the world's errors come down to people rising to the level of their incompetence?

In Depth

Post Posted: Oct 6, 2017 9:02 am 
Scanner Monitor
Scanner Monitor
The bridge is my favorite. Couldn't anyone have calculated that it would be a problem before they were only five feet apart? Our tax dollars at work.

It's kind of fun to do the impossible.

Dum spiro spero - While I breathe, I hope.
Where there is life, there is hope.

Post Posted: Oct 6, 2017 11:24 pm 
Active Pinecam Poster
Active Pinecam Poster
of course, but then it wouldn't have provided us w/ a sarcastic picture! maybe photoshop at work?!

Post Posted: Oct 7, 2017 8:30 am 
mtnhsmama wrote:
of course, but then it wouldn't have provided us w/ a sarcastic picture! maybe photoshop at work?!

Most likely.

Post Posted: Oct 7, 2017 8:38 am 
Oxford Saved Albert Einstein's Chalkboard Writings From The 1930s

When you go to The Louvre, you ask to see the Mona Lisa. When you go to the Museum of the History of Science, you ask to see a chalkboard. Though it's no artistic masterpiece, this particular chalkboard is well-worth gawking over. Those wiggly white marks were drawn by one Albert Einstein.

Question: When is a blackboard not a blackboard? Answer: When it holds a left-behind relic of a world-famous genius. A blackboard displaying original writings of Albert Einstein are prominently displayed in the Museum of the History of Science at the University of Oxford, and it is one of the museum's biggest draws. "It has become a kind of icon," historian and museum curator Dr. Jim Bennett said. "People come and look at it as though it was almost a quasi-religious sort of object because Einstein had such a standing in the modern world." The humble board is framed and elevated in the unlikely spot of the museum's basement.

Though blackboards are meant to be erased, reused, and written on over and over again, this one was salvaged immediately after Einstein wrapped up his 1931 lecture at Oxford University. Because the value in preserving this board was instantly apparent, we know that the physicist was already a world-renowned scientific celebrity at the time (1931 was well after he published his big-deal theory of general relativity in 1916, after all). Special shoutout to the unnamed Oxfordian who did some quick thinking to snatch that chalky display before the janitors wiped 'er clean.

To the untrained eye, the white chalk marks on the near-holy board don't really mean much at first glance. But, c'mon, this is Einstein I’m talking about. The preserved marks were from his 1931 Rhodes Memorial lecture series, and these particular scribbles lay out the most fundamental questions in cosmology.

Part of Oxford chalkboard Einstein used

Photo credit

Again, and as described by The Oxford Student, "the first three lines establish an equation for D, the measure of expansion in the universe, and the lower four lines provide numerical values for the expansion, density, radius, and age of the universe. According to the last line, the age of the universe is probably 10 (or 100) billions years, which is not only a seemingly incomprehensible figure but also an interesting estimate compared to today's consensus of 15 billion years." Whoa. Heavy. Even if you're in the know about cosmology, one part of his work may be throwing you off : the "L.J." at the bottom. That's because that's in German. Here, L.J. stands for "lictjahr," which translates to "light-year."

Besides what the board literally communicates, it's also a relic of the past (re: blackboards) and specific point in time. The 1930s were an exciting time in science, as Einstein's theories of relativity were being combined with astronomical data to tackle these huge cosmological questions. People were aware of the significance at the time, too. Each of Einstein's three lectures was covered separately by the Times. And the chalkboard's importance only grows with time. "It's a little bit like having a saint's bones in a medieval cathedral," Stephen Johnston, assistant keeper at the museum, tells the BBC. "Einstein is a secular saint and people want to come and be in his presence. And the blackboard is a way of just being in the same space as Einstein."

In Depth

Post Posted: Oct 8, 2017 8:38 am 
Meet The Man Who Scored Your Childhood

Nintendo is responsible for some of the most memorable video games of all time.

And music is a big part of the reason why games from franchises like Super Mario Bros., The Legend of Zelda, and Star Fox are so memorable. So where did these soundtracks come from? Believe it or not, it turns out that one man is responsible for those iconic bleeps and bloops that you grew up with. Meet Koji Kondo.

Koji Kondo (Composer)

Although Kondo was the third person hired by Nintendo to create music and sound effects for their games, he was Nintendo's first employee with a specialized background in music composition when he officially joined Nintendo in 1984. He spent his first year learning the basics of sound programming for the Nintendo Family Computer, or "Famicom" (known as the Nintendo Entertainment System in North America), and how to work within the home console's technical limitations.

One Famicom Model (Courtesy: Nintendo)

The technology at the time would only allow a musical score to feature three channels of music at one time, designated to melody, harmony, and percussion. However, Kondo was able to disguise repetition through the employment of unforgettable melodies. Case in point: in 1985, Nintendo released Super Mario Bros. – Kondo's first major score. Today, the game's main theme song (officially called "Ground Theme") has been called one of the most famous tunes in the world.

1985 was only the beginning for Kondo. Just a year later, he scored The Legend of Zelda, cementing his place in video game history with an iconic theme for a franchise that has spawned its own touring symphonic concert series.

Since then, Kondo has spent his 30+ year career at Nintendo composing music for soundtracks of hit games like Star Fox, The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, and Super Mario Galaxy, and has advised and supervised music and sound design for dozens of other games. His music has been featured on hundreds of albums, and Super Mario creator and Nintendo legend Shigeru Miyamoto even performed some of Kondo's music with The Roots on "The Tonight Show" while promoting some upcoming Nintendo games.

Koji Kondo composing

In Depth

Reply to topic  [ 4347 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 305, 306, 307, 308, 309, 310, 311 ... 363  Next