It is currently May 20, 2019 4:28 pm 

Do you or someone you know need some help with a project?
Click here to contact the Neighborhood Action Team.

Reply to topic  [ 4746 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 328, 329, 330, 331, 332, 333, 334 ... 396  Next

Previous topic | Next topic 

Post subject: Re: Interesting Facts
Post Posted: Feb 7, 2018 7:20 pm 
Scanner Monitor
Scanner Monitor
BeerGodROX wrote:
Oops... 54 years?

Not so easy, is it?? :rof laughing:

It's kind of fun to do the impossible.

Be compassionate, understanding and kind. You never know who is
this close to giving up.

Post Posted: Feb 7, 2018 7:50 pm 
Stratospheric Poster!
Stratospheric Poster!
I keep forgetting it's 2018...
I'm one of those.
And no, none of it is so easy anymore. :O)
Mrs. BGR

Post Posted: Feb 8, 2018 9:50 am 
Pinecam Hall of Fame poster!
What Is The Best And Fastest Way To Defrost Frozen Foods?

You come home after a hard day’s work. You don’t feel like cooking, and you can’t face the hassle of going to a restaurant. Where do you turn? To the freezer, of course. And like a crowd of football fans, a little voice in your head begins to chant, “DEE-frost! DEE-frost!”

Scanning your frozen assets, you’re wondering not so much about what is in there (“Why didn’t I label those packages?”), but about what would defrost in a minimum amount of time.

Your options are (a) leaving it out on the kitchen counter while you go through the mail, (b) soaking it in a bowl or sink full of water or (c) the best and fastest method of all, which I shall divulge in due time and which will probably surprise you.

(a)

(b)

For commercially packaged frozen foods, just follow the directions. You wouldn’t believe the armies of home economists and technicians who slaved away to determine the best methods of defrosting their company’s products in the home kitchen. Trust them.

While the defrosting directions on commercial packages often involve a microwave oven, that usually doesn’t work for thawing home-frozen foods, because it’s hard to keep the outer regions of the food from beginning to cook.

“Frozen food” is something of a misnomer. Technically speaking, freezing means converting a substance from its liquid form into its solid form by cooling it below its freezing point. But meats and vegetables are already solid when they are put into the freezer. It’s their water content that freezes into tiny ice crystals, and those ice crystals are what make the whole food hard. The job of defrosting, then, is to melt those tiny ice crystals back to their liquid form.

The quickest method of all (or method “(c)”), I now reveal, is to place the unwrapped frozen food on an unheated, heavy skillet or frying pan. Yes, unheated. Metals are the champion heat conductors of all substances, because they have zillions of loose electrons that can transmit energy even better than clashing molecules can. The metal pan will conduct the room’s heat very efficiently into the frozen food, thawing it in record time.

The heavier the pan the better, because thicker metal can conduct more heat per minute. Flat foods like steaks and chops will thaw fastest, because they make the best contact with the pan, so keep this in mind when making up your packages for the freezer. (Round, bulky roasts and whole chickens or turkeys won’t thaw much faster on the pan than on the counter; however, neither method is recommended because of the danger of bacterial growth.

A bit risky

The refrigerator is your safest and best bet

Thaw them either in cold water or in the refrigerator. Nonstick pans won’t work, incidentally, because the coatings are poor heat conductors, nor will a cast-iron pan because it is porous.

Image Image

I discovered the frying-pan gimmick while experimenting with one of those “miracle” defrosting trays sold in catalogs and cookware stores. They are reputedly made of an “advanced, space-age super-conductive alloy” that “takes heat right out of the air.” Well, the space-age alloy turns out to be ordinary aluminum, and it “takes heat out of the air” exactly the way an aluminum frying pan does, and for exactly the same reasons.

So save the water method for the bulky stuff and just put that frozen steak or fillet on a heavy frying pan. It’ll be thawed before you can say, “Where did I put those frozen peas?” Well, not quite, but a lot sooner than you’d think.

In Depth

"The lady doth protest too much, methinks." ~ Queen Gertrude

Post Posted: Feb 8, 2018 5:44 pm 
Posts pretty often
Posts pretty often
I have been using one of those "miracle" defrosting gismos and I can tell you, they do work!! Better than plain old aluminum pan? I don't know, because aluminum pans are kind of passé now as we're all intrigued by IPots (instead of old pressure cookers) and the resurgence of cast iron pans ,etc, etc. But wifey is amazed at how smart I am when it comes to defrosting stuff!!

Post Posted: Feb 8, 2018 6:09 pm 
Cabinguy wrote:
[...] But wifey is amazed at how smart I am when it comes to defrosting stuff!!

:hugegrin:

Post Posted: Feb 8, 2018 6:10 pm 
I discovered this thawing method a few years ago. I just put my frozen food on the stove top metal and it thaws very quickly.

Post Posted: Feb 9, 2018 10:09 am 
What Was The Song That The Titanic Band Played As The Ship Went Down And Sank?

“Songe d’Automne,” also called “Dream of Autumn,” by Archibald Joyce (1908) could have been the last song the band played on the Titanic before it sank.

RMS Titanic

The Titanic’s band

Or it could have been the hymn “Nearer My God to Thee,” the bandleader’s favorite and the tune many survivors remember hearing last.

Wallace Henry Hartley – Titanic’s bandleader

The truth is that no one will ever know for certain, including the directors of the blockbuster hit movie Titanic who went with the hymn, because the band members continued to play even as the ship went down.

They did this apparently to reduce panic, and by all accounts their bravery helped save lives.

Jonathan Evans-Jones as Wallace Hartley – Titanic (1997 – Paramount/20th Century)

One survivor—a member of the crew, Harold Bride—remembered the incident distinctly:
“The way the band kept playing was a noble thing. [...] the last I saw of the band, when I was floating out in the sea with my lifebelt on, it was still on deck playing “Autumn.” How they ever did it I cannot imagine.”

Harold Sidney Bride - Titanic survivor

In Depth – Ship
In Depth - Bandleader

Post Posted: Feb 9, 2018 10:57 am 
Scanner Monitor
Scanner Monitor

Beautiful.

It's kind of fun to do the impossible.

Be compassionate, understanding and kind. You never know who is
this close to giving up.

Post Posted: Feb 10, 2018 10:02 am 
Who Was John Cabot?

Little is known about the early years of John Cabot. By 1461, Cabot had become a Venetian citizen and worked for a trading firm. He gained knowledge of the sea by traveling between Venice and the eastern Mediterranean region, even venturing as far as Mecca, the great Muslim center in Arabia.

Some historians believe that Cabot was thinking about reaching the Indies by sailing west when Columbus returned from his first voyage in 1493. Cabot reasoned that sailing farther north would be a shorter trip due to the curvature of the earth.

In March 1496, the English king Henry VII, eager to catch up to Portugal and Spain in exploration, authorized Cabot to pursue his plan. In May 1497, Cabot left Bristol in a tiny ship with his son, Sebastian, and 20 sailors.

His ship was named “Matthew” after his
wife “Mattea”

About a month later, Cabot sighted land, possibly the northern tip of Newfoundland, the giant island off the coast of Canada. He went ashore with his men, the first English on North American soil, and claimed the land for King Henry VII. Convinced that he had discovered the Indies, Cabot returned to England in triumph.

Cabot returns to England to
report his findings to King Henry VII

He reported that the land was covered with timber and the seas filled with fish. He called the territory “Newfounde Lande.”

Excited by his success, Cabot planned another voyage, this time with five ships and more than 200 men. He was determined to reach Japan. Little is known about this second voyage except that it left sometime in 1498 and that one ship stopped in Ireland for repairs. The other four ships, with Cabot aboard one of them, never returned.

In Depth

Post Posted: Feb 11, 2018 9:50 am 
Who Were Examples Of Women Reporters During World War II?

During World War II, for the first time, a number of women journalists filed reports from the front.

Ann Stringer even managed a scoop, as the first to report the historic joining of Russian and U.S. forces in 1945.

Ann Stringer

Ann Stringer at work

Margaret Bourke-White took her camera on a bombing mission and with American troops first venturing into Germany. She also helped publicize the horrors of the concentration camps with her photographs taken when the inmates were first released.

Margaret Bourke-White

Margaret with the 97th Bomb Group

In Buchenwald

In 1934 foreign correspondent Dorothy Thompson was considered such a threat that she was thrown out of Germany for her anti-Nazi columns.

Dorothy Thompson

==========

"As far as I can see, I was really put out of Germany
for the crime of blasphemy. My offense was to think that Hitler
was just an ordinary man, after all. That is a crime in the reigning
cult in Germany, which says Mr. Hitler is a Messiah sent by God
to save the German people—an old Jewish idea. To question this
mystic mission is so heinous that, if you are a German, you can be
sent to jail. I, fortunately, am an American, so I was merely sent
to Paris. Worse things can happen." (1934) ~ Dorothy Thompson

==========

Post Posted: Feb 11, 2018 1:15 pm 
Stratospheric Poster!
Stratospheric Poster!
Henry wrote:
Who Were Examples Of Women Reporters During World War II?

During World War II, for the first time, a number of women journalists filed reports from the front.

Ann Stringer even managed a scoop, as the first to report the historic joining of Russian and U.S. forces in 1945.

Well named. My son's shop teacher in high school was Mr. Hammer.
Quote:
Definition of stringer

6. a : a news correspondent who is paid space rates
b : a reporter who works for a publication or news agency on a part-time basis; broadly : correspondent

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/stringer

Mountain folk see the mountains when they drive.
City folk who live in the mountains only see the bumper of the car in front of them.

Post Posted: Feb 12, 2018 9:55 am 
Was Alexander Graham Bell From The United States Or England?

Alexander Graham Bell was from Boston Massachusetts, sort of.

Alexander Graham Bell

He was born in Edinburgh, Scotland, but immigrated to the U.S. in 1871, spending most of his work time in Boston.

Birthplace in Edingburg, Scotland

But he spent his summers at Cape Breton Island in Nova Scotia, Canada, where he had a summer home.

Summer home in Breton Island, Nova Scotia

In Depth

Reply to topic  [ 4746 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 328, 329, 330, 331, 332, 333, 334 ... 396  Next