It is currently Aug 23, 2019 9:54 am 

Do you or someone you know need some help with a project?
Click here to contact the Neighborhood Action Team.

Reply to topic  [ 4895 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 354, 355, 356, 357, 358, 359, 360 ... 408  Next

Previous topic | Next topic 

Post subject: Re: Interesting Facts
Post Posted: Aug 23, 2018 8:35 am 
Pinecam Hall of Fame poster!
What Does the Phrase “The Coast is Clear” Mean and Where Did it Come From?

The person who says, “The coast is clear,” sounds as though he or she is being cautious about avoiding legal detection, and so it should.

It originated as the standard cry from the man in the crow’s nest of every pirate ship before it chanced a landing.

When the captain verified with his telescope that there was no danger in going ashore, he would repeat the cry, “The coast is clear!”

And so it became an order for his fellow smugglers to prepare to land.

In Depth

“The only mystery in life is why the kamikaze pilots wore helmets.” ~ Al McGuire

Post Posted: Aug 23, 2018 2:50 pm 
Active Pinecam Poster
Active Pinecam Poster
" As the ice melted, it gathered up massive loads of gravel and rock along the way. That accumulation of melted ice and stone spread over Western Washington, creating the unusual black, gravelly soil that eventually formed the mounds...ancient floods, or runoff from the glaciers themselves. Some say it may have been the result of the frozen ground cracking into multi-sided shapes at the end of the ice age. That could have allowed ice to wedge into the cracks and leave the soil mounded when it melted."

sounds to me like that's the answer. u see unique & cool glacial residue structures all over the nation. this gets my vote. like the hogback & dakota ridge & accretions u see north of turkey creek canyon. easily eroded materials go away, more durable remain.

darn, my first instinct at the first picture was crytobiotic soil crusts, until i read further and saw the size of the mounds. interesting post, henry!

Post Posted: Aug 24, 2018 8:31 am 
mtnhsmama wrote:
" As the ice melted, it gathered up massive loads of gravel and rock along the way. That accumulation of melted ice and stone spread over Western Washington, creating the unusual black, gravelly soil that eventually formed the mounds...ancient floods, or runoff from the glaciers themselves. Some say it may have been the result of the frozen ground cracking into multi-sided shapes at the end of the ice age. That could have allowed ice to wedge into the cracks and leave the soil mounded when it melted."

sounds to me like that's the answer. u see unique & cool glacial residue structures all over the nation. this gets my vote. like the hogback & dakota ridge & accretions u see north of turkey creek canyon. easily eroded materials go away, more durable remain.

darn, my first instinct at the first picture was crytobiotic soil crusts, until i read further and saw the size of the mounds. interesting post, henry!

Thanks, mtn. I tend to agree with you, but then again, I'm certainly not a geologist.

“The only mystery in life is why the kamikaze pilots wore helmets.” ~ Al McGuire

Post Posted: Aug 24, 2018 8:42 am 
How Did The United States Government Plan To Kill Fidel Castro After The Cuban Revolution And Cuban Missile Crisis?

We may never know all of the ways, but from the ones we do know of, you can certainly see the effect that reading too many James Bond novels had on John Kennedy and his staff.

Here are some of the wilder plots the United States government had to kill Fidel Castro after he took power in 1959:

Inject botulism toxin into Castro’s favorite brand of cigars and give him a gift box.

Dissolve botulism into a drink for Castro.

Infect scuba equipment with deadly germs and present it to avid scuba diver Castro as a gift.

Booby-trap a seashell to explode if removed from the ocean floor by Castro.

Equip a fountain pen with a hidden needle for injecting a lethal toxin and ask Castro for an autograph.

Shoot him with high-powered rifles with telescopic sights, presumably from a book depository building and a grassy knoll.

Even after somebody actually used the last one on Kennedy himself, quite possibly Lee Harvey Oswald, who had read pro-Cuban magazines that detailed some of the assassination attempts against Castro, the plotting against Castro continued.

Oh, and just in case you’re keeping count…

In Depth

Post Posted: Aug 25, 2018 8:39 am 
What Is The Record For The Highest Wind Speed In The United States?

The fastest wind speed on record, not counting tornadoes, in the United States and the world took place on Mount Washington, in New Hampshire, on April 12, 1934.

That day, the wind speed was recorded at 231 miles (372 km) per hour. This record is also the world record for wind gusts.

Mount Washington also holds the record for the highest average wind speed over a 24-hour period in the United States: 129 miles (208 km) per hour during that same period, April 11-12, 1934.

Anemometer used to measure Highest/Average wind speeds

Mount Washington is known as “Home of the World’s Worst Weather.” This mountain, New England’s highest, lies in the path of three principal storm tracks that cross the northeastern United States.

The mountain also has especially steep slopes, which cause winds to increase in speed as they come up from the valleys below.

Winds at the summit exceed 75 miles (120 km) per hour an average of 104 days a year.

Alex McKenzie (left) and Sal Pagliuca tightening the guy wires holding the anemometer to the roof.

In Depth

Post Posted: Aug 25, 2018 10:55 am 
Posts pretty often
Posts pretty often
Here's the weather station on Mt. Washington: https://xmountwashington.appspot.com/csc.html
What wasn't mentioned about that day (the 231 mph), was that the anemometer was blown away so the velocity was likely higher.

Post Posted: Aug 25, 2018 11:05 am 
DogRunner wrote:
Here's the weather station on Mt. Washington: https://xmountwashington.appspot.com/csc.html
What wasn't mentioned about that day (the 231 mph), was that the anemometer was blown away so the velocity was likely higher.

Thanks so much, DR! Have you ever been up there?

Post Posted: Aug 26, 2018 8:54 am 
In Which Country Was It A Custom For Wealthy Men To Have Long Fingernails?

Men with long fingernails?

During the late 1800s and even during the early 1900s, it was the custom among the ruling classes and the very wealthy of China for men to allow fingernails to grow to a length of four or five inches.

Because such a fingernail could not possibly remain on the hand of someone who worked with his or her hands, it was a symbol of wealth. Of course, even if its owner didn’t dig ditches, such a long fingernail could easily become split or broken.

In order to protect it, a thin case, or sheath, was worn over the nail. Because the owners of these nails were rich, the cases were often made of gold.

The practice continues today.

During the same period, long pigtails were important for the wealthy boys of China. Some pigtails were so long that they had to be pinned up to an article of clothing to keep them from dragging on the floor.

If a young man cut his pigtail without permission, he would be severely punished.

Post Posted: Aug 27, 2018 8:37 am 
Who Invented The Computer Device Called A Mouse And When?

The mouse is a great piece of technology many of us use everyday, and was destined for cuteness, not boring drivel.

It was invented in the late 1960s by Douglas Engelbart, and was called the “XY Position Indicator for a Display System.” It was a catchy name, but early users quickly came up with a nickname of their own: “turtle.”

Mouse … er … Turtle!

The animal motif continued with the more accurate description, “rodent,” that followed.

Rodent

With its long hairless tail, the little pointer device resembled any number of creatures in the order Rodentia, and these early technogeeks didn’t want to discriminate.

However, good sense and a desire to sell to consumers took over, and the name was changed to “mouse,” which stuck permanently. In every dictionary on our shelves we found mouse, which reads like this Merriam-Webster Dictionary on-line entry:

“mouse: a small mobile manual device that controls movement of the cursor and selection of functions on a computer display.”

Now it’s your turn to come up with a name for touch pads.

Tactile Sensor?

In Depth

Post Posted: Aug 27, 2018 10:13 am 
Posts pretty often
Posts pretty often
Had a real mouse sleeping next to my computer mouse on my laptop yesterday. Not sure who was more startled. I think he was lonely.

Post Posted: Aug 27, 2018 10:26 am 
Posts pretty often
Posts pretty often
Henry wrote:
DogRunner wrote:

Yea, I was up there in 1979, the day before the remnants of a hurricane came through...clear, windy, very chilly day (late August). Everything out side of the building was chained down except for this one BIG, HEAVY picnic table...found out later that it was blown off the mtn the next day. Pretty incredible place if you like weather (which I do). Next day my cousin and I went to a beach in Maine as the hurricane came through and spread our jackets open (think flying squirrel) and jumped off the sand dunes and we actually flew for about 20-30 yards...it was a blast.

Post Posted: Aug 28, 2018 8:29 am 
DogRunner wrote:
Henry wrote:
DogRunner wrote:

Yea, I was up there in 1979, the day before the remnants of a hurricane came through...clear, windy, very chilly day (late August). Everything out side of the building was chained down except for this one BIG, HEAVY picnic table...found out later that it was blown off the mtn the next day. Pretty incredible place if you like weather (which I do). [...]

The front end of your response has a bucket-listable quality to it. :D

Reply to topic  [ 4895 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 354, 355, 356, 357, 358, 359, 360 ... 408  Next