It is currently Apr 24, 2017 1:18 am 

Do you or someone you know need some help with a project?
Click here to contact the Neighborhood Action Team.

Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Previous topic | Next topic 

Post subject: Washing Machine Recommendation
Post Posted: Apr 19, 2017 11:16 am 
Pinecam Hall of Fame poster!
My 30+ year old washing died this morning. I have heard terrible things about clothes washers that are sold today. Like they do not use enough water to clean the clothes and don't last any time at all.

Do you have a washer that you really like? If so, what brand is it and did you buy it locally.

My sister-in-law just bought a Speed Queen. If you have one of these, are they worth the price of $800 to $1000?

Post subject: Re: Washing Machine Recommendation
Post Posted: Apr 19, 2017 11:30 am 
Scanner Monitor
Scanner Monitor
Gosh - that's hard. I know that my Maytag has been nothing but problems. That commercial about the Maytag repair man is false as he was at MY house all the time ;) I still have it after $700 in repairs and it's about 15 years old.

When/if I get a new one, I'll probably go with a Whirlpool as I have had the best luck with them for a refrigerator and a dryer.

I'm no expert but just relating my personal experience before someone jumps on me about how wrong I am! LOL

Post Posted: Apr 19, 2017 11:43 am 
That's what I heard about Maytag. My sister-in-law initially bought a Maytag and HATED it. She returned it and bought the Speed Queen.

Post Posted: Apr 19, 2017 11:49 am 
I have an Electrolux washer and dryer. It's never had one problem. I don't recall the cost but was expensive.

Post Posted: Apr 19, 2017 12:04 pm 
Scanner Monitor
Scanner Monitor
I have heard very good things about Electrolux! I honestly have not heard of Speed Queen but will take a look at them.

Post Posted: Apr 19, 2017 12:10 pm 
Whoa momma! A top Pinecam poster!
I love the Fridigaire front-loading washer that I have had for probably 7-8 years now. It uses much less water than top-loaders (which is a plus in a water-challenged environment), but I have had no issue at all with clothes coming out clean (as long as I use HE detergent, of course).

Post Posted: Apr 19, 2017 12:15 pm 
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Oh my, Big Time poster!
FYI, Whirlpool now owns Maytag and Samsung is the ones that are falling apart. Buying a appliance today is the luck of the draw. Who knows who builds what?

Post Posted: Apr 19, 2017 12:22 pm 
worth buying subscription to consumer reports to research. We have one of the Samsung top loaders that has issues. I love the washing machine and we have not had any problems with it. the recall rework was a joke so we declined it. My husband has it on his to do list to make brackets to hold the vertical bracing in place.

Post Posted: Apr 19, 2017 12:24 pm 
Thanks all.

Wily Fox aka Angela, I went to the JeffCo library and they have a online subscription to Consumer reports. I looked there but CS recommends Kenmore and Maytag, both of which I have heard terrible things about.

Post Posted: Apr 19, 2017 1:01 pm 
Active Pinecam Poster
Active Pinecam Poster
I have a Maytag top loader that is 22 years old, and I've never had any problems with it. Fingers crossed that it will last awhile longer. I saw a show about washers on This Old House, and they said the top loading high efficiency washers use a lot less water, so that would be my choice if my Maytag needs to be replaced. The 2017 Consumer Reports Buying Guide rated LG and Samsung as the best - the price ranged from $1000 for one LG, down to $530 for one of the Samsung models. The ratings for the top 5 were 72 or 71. They also said the steam feature washers aren't really worth the price. Maybe that's why they're on sale so often. I was surprised that the high efficiency washers weren't rated higher. The top rating for the front loaders was 86. For likely hood of breaking within 5 years, Maytag and LG were the lowest at 19%. Can't someone build a better washer? Best of luck with your washer shopping.

Post Posted: Apr 19, 2017 1:18 pm 
We bought a new front loading washer and dryer about three months ago and we love them! Washer model is LG WM4370HWA and dryer is DLEX4370W. We have a very small laundry room and these large capacity stackables take the same amount of room as our old piece of junk GE combo unit. They have some great functions; steam, downloadable and customizable cycles, and an app that lets you know when its time to clean the washer tub (phone must have NFC.) We had Whirlpool Duets many years ago and hated them, but front loaders have come a long way. This is definitely the cleanest our clothes have ever come out in 20 years and five sets of new w/d. We bought from Lowes and they delivered, installed, and hauled away the old stuff for $15 each. Home Depot will do the same, I just prefer Lowes.

Washer: https://www.lowes.com/pd/LG-TWINWash-Co ... 1000120641

Dryer: https://www.lowes.com/pd/LG-7-4-cu-ft-S ... 1000121119

Side note: If you buy the washer, you do not need to buy water lines. They'll tell you to buy them or they won't install it, but LG washers come with their own proprietary water lines.

Post Posted: Apr 19, 2017 3:10 pm 
Posts Semi-Regularly
Posts Semi-Regularly
We, too, have large capacity front-loading LG washer and dryer and love them. No problems with either. We do use the steam feature on occasion, but even the regular cycles do a great job of getting the clothes clean with limited water usage. And the service center can diagnose issues over the phone using the tones that the washer makes. We haven't had to use this feature, but it's nice to know it's there. The washer is model WM2650HWA.

Lots of options like choosing the number of rinse cycles, setting a delay before starting so you load in the evening and your clothes are ready for the dryer when you get up the next morning, etc.

Great peace have they who love Thy law, and nothing shall offend them... Ps 118:165

Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next