It is currently Mar 22, 2019 4:02 am 

Do you or someone you know need some help with a project?
Click here to contact the Neighborhood Action Team.

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 

Previous topic | Next topic 

Post subject: You Can't Outrun the River
Post Posted: Mar 20, 2019 12:20 pm 
Active Pinecam Poster
Active Pinecam Poster
As the media portends end times and acts like the Midwest has never seen flooding before, I realize that some songs just say it all.

"Some men try to slow me. They dam me for a while. But I rose up like the thunder, my anger raging wild. They curse the ground I gave them, but they could not understand. You can turn me with your shovels, but you can't hold me in your hands."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TyscR46xGJo

The rivers gives and the river takes away. It's just a fact of nature.

Post subject: Re: You Can't Outrun the River
Post Posted: Mar 20, 2019 1:49 pm 
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Oh my, Big Time poster!
"Mary, take the baby, river's rising
Muddy waters taking back the land
This old house it won't take one more beating
Ain't no use to stay and make a stand"

Post Posted: Mar 20, 2019 2:58 pm 
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Even though flooding is inevitable in some regions, when it happens it does not make it any easier for those who lose loved ones and have their property destroyed and lived uprooted. Some areas in Nebraska have not seen flooding like this over the past 100 years, so many did not expect such devastation. Lots or crops and farmland will be unusable this year, so eventually we will all be paying higher prices at the store.

"Sunshine is delicious, rain is refreshing, wind braces us up, snow is exhilarating; there is really no such thing as bad weather, only different kinds of good weather" - John Ruskin

Post Posted: Mar 20, 2019 3:58 pm 
Active Pinecam Poster
Active Pinecam Poster
wxgeek wrote:
Even though flooding is inevitable in some regions, when it happens it does not make it any easier for those who lose loved ones and have their property destroyed and lived uprooted. Some areas in Nebraska have not seen flooding like this over the past 100 years, so many did not expect such devastation. Lots or crops and farmland will be unusable this year, so eventually we will all be paying higher prices at the store.

I agree completely with you wxgeek and don't mean to minimize the sadness, horror, and trauma these good people are going through. That being said, I would like to relate a story that may sound unrelated, but I actually think is relevant. I was working in J-5 Plans of USNORTHCOM (I know this sounds like horse puckey, but friends will confirm this) during the response to Hurricane Katrina in 2005. I was on a late shift and had some time, out of curiosity, to look at where Hurricane Camille's devastation was in 1969. What I learned was that many of the areas that were devastated in Mississippi in 1969 also received a terrible blow in 2005 with incredible destruction. This tells me that folks rebuilt where some knew that, previously, Mother Nature had imparted her wrath....and were horrified to see the same devastation again.

So what's my point?

Call me simple, but I feel we propagate more sadness, horror, and trauma by allowing people to rebuild in areas that we know will be exposed to nature's wrath from time to time. I don't see the logic in it and wish we had a smarter, more logical approach. To me, flood plains with their rich soils (wonder why they are so rich) are a great place for fields and pastures, but a terrible place to build homes, schools, fire houses, police departments, and businesses. I guess I could say the same thing about folks (like us) who live in the "red zone" for wildland fires....though I don't think forest fires come around to a point on the map nearly as often as floods and hurricanes.

Post Posted: Mar 21, 2019 8:24 am 
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Oh my, Big Time poster!
I totally understand your point, but the places that have some of the biggest impacts from Nature are also the most desirable places to live, so very difficult to tell humans we can't live in these very desirable locations. Thus we repeat the cycle over and over again. Many of us play an odds game, what are the odds my home will be destroyed by a (hurricane, tornado, flood, wildfire etc...) during the time I live there. The odds are usually low enough that we minimize the risk and live on. Then when disaster does strike, you have to go through the process of moving or re-building.

"Sunshine is delicious, rain is refreshing, wind braces us up, snow is exhilarating; there is really no such thing as bad weather, only different kinds of good weather" - John Ruskin

Post Posted: Mar 21, 2019 9:53 am 
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Oh my, Big Time poster!
I can understand why settlements tended to exist on or near rivers, particularly the junction of rivers. Water used to be (and to some degree still is) a primary transportation medium.

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ]