It is currently Jun 22, 2018 2:51 pm 

Do you or someone you know need some help with a project?
Click here to contact the Neighborhood Action Team.

Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Previous topic | Next topic 

Post subject: The Most Expensive Gas Company wants to raise rates 12+%!
Post Posted: May 25, 2018 7:44 pm 
Stratospheric Poster!
Stratospheric Poster!
Colorado Natural Gas is back to their old tricks - keep raising rates!
They want to increase the Monthly "Facility and Service Charge" from $14 to $25 - a 78% increase!

Also, they want to raise summer rates and so that they get more revenue in the summer as well as the winter.
Overall they want to increase the average Bailey average bill from $137.77 to $154.57 - a 12.9% increase.

What I really would like to understand is why their "Eastern Colorado" area has rates LESS than HALF of what we pay!
I don't believe they serve the big city areas which would be more cost efficient.

:rant: :rant: :rant: CNG is already the most expensive Natural Gas company in the U.S. - and our Colorado's average commodity gas cost is LESS than average! Xcel is over 2.5 times cheaper!

CNG makes their money on the Service Charge above and a "Distribution" charge which is 10 times more expensive than Xcel and 4 times the cost of the gas itself!

They want to start these rates June 15 (of course - to raise the summer rates!)

The Colorado Public Utilities Commission has up to 210 days to "review materials and gather input from the public" which I hope many people will do! This monopoly is out of control.

The Commission can be reached at 1560 Broadway, Suite 250, Denver CO 80202. email is dora_puc_complaints@state.co.us

CNG may be reached for questions/comments at ratecase@coloradonaturalgas.com or 1-800-720-8193.

Post subject: Re: The Most Expensive Gas Company wants to raise rates 12+%
Post Posted: May 25, 2018 8:14 pm 
Active Pinecam Poster
Active Pinecam Poster
Got the letter also, I would add to you comments about their gall, but the moderators or PC auto correct would delete
it!

Post Posted: May 25, 2018 9:19 pm 
Stratospheric Poster!
Stratospheric Poster!
That's awful. :thud:

My gas company in Austin (Texas Gas Service) just lowered their rates, citing the Federal Tax Cuts and Jobs Act which lowered the federal corporate tax rate from 35% to 21%.
They included a flyer with my bill saying they're passing along their savings to their customers. :cloud9:
Colorado Natural Gas would have received the same cut in their corporate tax rate :nerd: but apparently they don't want to share the savings. :No way:

Post Posted: May 25, 2018 9:41 pm 
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Oh my, Big Time poster!
I may go back to electric water heater and heat

Post Posted: May 25, 2018 10:03 pm 
Stratospheric Poster!
Stratospheric Poster!
koala1 wrote:
That's awful. :thud:

My gas company in Austin (Texas Gas Service) just lowered their rates, citing the Federal Tax Cuts and Jobs Act which lowered the federal corporate tax rate from 35% to 21%.
They included a flyer with my bill saying they're passing along their savings to their customers. :cloud9:
Colorado Natural Gas would have received the same cut in their corporate tax rate :nerd: but apparently they don't want to share the savings. :No way:

Funny that you mention that. The CNG letter says that the favorable tax rates from the govt. is going to help reduce taxes and they will pass on the savings to consumers!! What a SCAM!!

We've got to fight this.

Just for curiosity Koala1 - do you have your current per therm rate you are being charged?

Post Posted: May 25, 2018 10:17 pm 
Posts Semi-Regularly
Posts Semi-Regularly
Our COMBINED Xcel bill gas and electric was less than we pay here CNG and IREA . I will watch for the letter. Can I ask why Xcel doesn't service Bailey ???

Post Posted: May 25, 2018 10:31 pm 
Stratospheric Poster!
Stratospheric Poster!
sunsetinthepines wrote:

Just for curiosity Koala1 - do you have your current per therm rate you are being charged?

I'm not sure how to figure it out, SITP, but here are the figures from that portion of my latest bill:

and here's a conversion chart that I found:

Hope you're better at math than I am. ;)

Post Posted: May 25, 2018 10:44 pm 
Posts Semi-Regularly
Posts Semi-Regularly
I just got that letter too...it referenced some BS about benefits from the tax reform bill and that they were passing those benefits along to customers...and then proceeded to describe that our rates were going up. Doesn't sound like a benefit to me.

Post Posted: May 25, 2018 11:14 pm 
Stratospheric Poster!
Stratospheric Poster!
koala1 wrote:
sunsetinthepines wrote:

I'm not sure how to figure it out, SITP, but here are the figures from that portion of my latest bill:

and here's a conversion chart that I found:

Hope you're better at math than I am. ;)

Well I can compare the the comparable charges. Some are not comparable such as the junk fees but yours look similar to ours.
Cost per gas itself per therm CNG - 43.84 cents, Yours - 52.03 cents ; As I said our commmodity gas is a little cheaper.
Cost for monthly service charge CNG - $14, yours - $15.28. CNG wants to raise this to $24
Cost for "delivery" or distribution - CNG - $1.0106/therm which for your bill would have been $23.75. Yours was $3.95. This is the big ripoff for CNG. Now only that, it is not clear if your $3.95 is a fixed charge or a per therm charge $0.16 - far less than CNG $1.01 charge/therm

For your month in total CNG would have charged us about $49.23. With the new prices it will be at least $59.23.

Post Posted: May 26, 2018 7:42 am 
Posts Semi-Regularly
Posts Semi-Regularly
Does anyone have an example of the corporate tax cuts ACTUALLY being passed to consumers? I haven't seen one since the tax overhaul. Perhaps we should connect the dots before blindly voting in 2018.

Post Posted: May 26, 2018 7:43 am 
Posts Semi-Regularly
Posts Semi-Regularly
Amen, Castalot.

Post Posted: May 26, 2018 9:46 am 
Infrequent Pinecam poster
Infrequent Pinecam poster
Here's what I sent to the PUC. Feel free to use/edit/add to it if you like!

--------------------------------------
To Whom It May Concern:

I am writing to urge the Public Utilities Commission to reject the proposal by Colorado Natural Gas to raise its facility service charge by 78% for customers in the Bailey area. This amounts to an average 12% increase for most customers, which is the same as what I estimate the impact to be on my family.

This rate increase is made even more insulting by the extremely short notice--only about 2 weeks--before it takes effect in a letter claiming that the company was happy to be able to pass along the corporate tax savings that they received as a result of the recent tax bill. The letter then went on to say that our rate would be going UP!!! At the very least, this is unethical corporate communication, which should not be tolerated! This company should be required to operate in a transparent manner and provide honest, timely communication to its customers.

The Public Utilities Commission is the only line of defense for customers like us in this mountain community. Colorado Natural Gas is a monopoly. We do not have any choice but to pay whatever they charge for this commodity to heat our homes and cook our food, and this increase is taking shameless advantage of that very fact. Please help us stand up to a company that doesn't care about anything but profit and already charges the HIGHEST RATES IN THE NATION for something that families like mine can't do without. I've urge you in the stringers possible terms to reject this proposal and anything like it in the future!

Sincerely,

Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next