It is currently Feb 19, 2017 4:52 pm 

Do you or someone you know need some help with a project?
Click here to contact the Neighborhood Action Team.

Reply to topic  [ 170 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15  Next

Previous topic | Next topic 

Post subject: Driving For Dummies!
Post Posted: Aug 11, 2014 3:31 pm 
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Driving safely isn't complicated. The rules aren't complicated. But for some people you'd think it was akin to performing brain, heart and spinal surgery simultaneously on 3 patients while also simultaneously building a spaceship capable of getting the population of an entire planet safely to a distant galaxy in only a week.

Here are a few helpful tips (this list is not all inclusive):

1. When your lane ends, and you know your lane ends because you drive this road where the lane ends every day and the state spent a lot of money to place signs up informing you your lane ends, YOU are obligated to merge safely into the through lane. You are not entitled to attempt to bully the vehicle adjacent to you in the through lane into slowing down so that you can move over. YOU are obligated to safely enter the through lane. Because sometimes your little crossover isn't a physical match for the 8000 pound 3/4 ton pickup next to you...regardless of how much money you spent on it or what status you perceive it grants you.

2. You can go the speed limit downhill on a single lane road, too. You've already proven you can accelerate to 10 - 15 mph over the speed limit in the uphill passing portion of the road. So, just for a change of pace, try driving at least the speed limit on the single lane downhill section of the road instead of 10mph under the limit. Really...you can do it.

3. Signs that say "Slower Traffic Keep Right" and "Keep Right Except To Pass" are called "traffic control devices" and you are obligated to obey them. That means if you're driving in the left lane and either not overtaking another vehicle or you're not driving the speed limit, you're violating a traffic law for failing to obey a traffic control device. It's kinda like not stopping at a stop sign.

4. The text/email/fax you feel you need to send while driving on a windy winding (that's windy like curvy...not windy like air moving quickly) (because vocabulary nazis have no sense of humor, or it was left along the side of the road with their driving skills, I've stricken the word "windy" and the explanation that went with it...artistic license is apparently not allowed or too difficult to understand for some...much like the rules of the road) mountain road really isn't that important. You're not that important. Really...you aren't. No sense trying to convince me you are. Because you're not that important. So just stop doing it. Not only are you not that important if you're texting/emailing while driving, it actually means you're probably a selfish idiot in at least the sense you feel you're far more important than anyone else on the road. You're not. Same thing goes for: shaving, applying makeup, etc. I've seen most of you drive. You're barely able to do that safely. Throw in a few distractions and it's really a crap shoot as to whether or not you're gonna kill yourself or someone else next time you're on the road.

5. Disciplining your child is important...when you're not operating a motor vehicle. If your kid needs an attitude adjustment, fine. Stop the car. Not only is it safe, you can use both hands.

6. Turn signals are not optional equipment on cars made since at least the 60s. You paid for them, now try to master the complexities of using them.

7. Acceleration lanes are called "acceleration lanes" for a reason. They exist so you can accelerate to match the flow of traffic and merge on to a highway. When you have an acceleration lane there's absolutely zero reason for you to pull all the way across several lanes of traffic when entering a highway.

8. On-ramps to a highway work in much the same way acceleration lanes do. They allow you an opportunity to accelerate (that means go faster) in order to match the speed of the highway traffic you're attempting to enter. There is absolutely no reason to drive your vehicle to the end of an on-ramp and stop...or even slow significantly. Speed up to highway speed, activate your turn signal alerting other drivers your intention to merge and safely move into the highway lane. It's not rocket surgery.

9. There's no need to focus your attention on a spot on the end of your hood. Actually that's a bad thing to do. Try looking at what's going on a little further up the road. Maybe 10 feet further to start. When you get the hang of that pretty soon you'll be able to look far enough ahead of you to actually drive safely.

10. If you've followed the semi for the last 4 miles on a long uphill stretch and the 4-ways on the truck are flashing and it's only moving at 20mph, there's a good bet he's not going to be accelerating to the speed limit any time soon. If you practice rule #9 you'll be able to see the slow-moving semi long before you have to slow down and follow it for 4 miles. This is important because that will keep you from taking 4 miles to figure out the semi is only being driven at 20mph in a 55mph zone. And then, when the light finally comes on and you figure out you can pass him, you won't be moving into the left lane at 20mph as I'm approaching in the left lane at 55mph forcing me to slow down to 20mph. Because now that you're in the left lane I know it's going to take you another 4 or 5 miles at 40mph (in a 55mph zone) to figure out you can move back over to the right lane after passing the semi.

There. My top 10 list. And before you ask, even rhetorically, the answer is "yes". I do think I'm a better driver than some people on the road. I've been doing it for almost 40 years and I've had lots of professional training. And, I've seen how people drive. It's scary.

Last edited by Bailey Guns on Aug 15, 2014 5:53 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Driving For Dummies!
Post Posted: Aug 11, 2014 3:45 pm 
Whoa momma! A top Pinecam poster!
It's "winding".

Post Posted: Aug 11, 2014 3:50 pm 
Active Pinecam Poster
Active Pinecam Poster
Unfortunately the only people that will read this already do all of this.

Post Posted: Aug 11, 2014 3:50 pm 
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Oh my, Big Time poster!
plaidvillain wrote:
It's "winding".

Yeah...I knew someone would feel compelled to point that out. Even after I explained it...and assumed most people would catch the humor.

Post Posted: Aug 11, 2014 3:55 pm 
Well, you took the time to detail how stupid people are by not driving correctly...then intentionally used a non-word? So ignorance of driving nuance is worthy of criticism to you, but ignorance in vernacular is humor?

Last edited by plaidvillain on Aug 11, 2014 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Aug 11, 2014 3:56 pm 
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Like I said...I knew SOME people wouldn't get it. Probably the same people who can't drive.

Post Posted: Aug 11, 2014 3:58 pm 
Infrequent Pinecam poster
Infrequent Pinecam poster
Great post!!!

Post Posted: Aug 11, 2014 3:59 pm 
Scanner Monitor
Scanner Monitor
:coffee screen:

Post Posted: Aug 11, 2014 4:00 pm 
Over a million miles, including tons of city driving and open road, no tickets. You can imagine how surprised I am that you'd judge my driving skills while knowing nothing of them.

Post Posted: Aug 11, 2014 4:06 pm 
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Bailey Guns wrote:
Driving safely isn't complicated. The rules aren't complicated. But for some people you'd think it was akin to performing brain, heart and spinal surgery simultaneously on 3 patients while also simultaneously building a spaceship capable of getting the population of an entire planet safely to a distant galaxy in only a week.

Here are a few helpful tips (this list is not all inclusive):

1. When your lane ends, and you know your lane ends because you drive this road where the lane ends every day and the state spent a lot of money to place signs up informing you your lane ends, YOU are obligated to merge safely into the through lane. You are not entitled to attempt to bully the vehicle adjacent to you in the through lane into slowing down so that you can move over. YOU are obligated to safely enter the through lane. Because sometimes your little crossover isn't a physical match for the 8000 pound 3/4 ton pickup next to you...regardless of how much money you spent on it or what status you perceive it grants you.

Actually that's not correct. Since you are passing it is up to you to ensure that you are able to safely complete your pass. And you know how I know you are passing? Look at #3 on your list. Since you are not in the right lane, the lane you are supposed to be in unless you are passing, you are, by definition of the traffic control device you referred to, in the act of passing the vehicle in the right hand lane regardless of which lane is the through lane. Being former law enforcement, you know it is the obligation of the person in the passing vehicle to ensure that they complete their pass safely. Thus, if you can't complete your pass safely before the highway reduces to a single lane, you must yield the right of way. One driving an 8000# pickup wouldn't dream of trying to make an 18-wheeler slow down and fall in behind them in such manner, so why do they think it's any different because the other vehicle is a crossover instead of a tractor-trailer rig?

You are correct about one thing though, driving safely isn't complicated. When you see that vehicle in the right hand lane, rather than tailgaiting the vehicle in front of you so that the vehicle in the right hand lane can't move over in an attempt to get that one vehicle in front of them you can allow the safe distance between vehicles which affords them all the room they need so that two lanes can smoothly and safely become one regardless of where in the transition zone it is accomplished. Not difficult at all, right?

Edited to add - a lot of the rest of the list is spot on though - particularly the concept of an acceleration lane. That's one of my buttons too.

“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.” C.S. Lewis

"Nec audiendi qui solent dicere, Vox populi, vox Dei, . . . - Alcuin

Last edited by PrintSmith on Aug 11, 2014 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Aug 11, 2014 4:08 pm 
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Throw your bait in another lake, PV.

Post Posted: Aug 11, 2014 4:16 pm 
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Oh my, Big Time poster!
42-4-1005. Limitations on overtaking on the left

(1) No vehicle shall be driven to the left side of the center of the roadway in overtaking and passing another vehicle proceeding in the same direction unless authorized by the provisions of this article and unless such left side is clearly visible and is free of oncoming traffic for a sufficient distance ahead to permit such overtaking and passing to be completed without interfering with the operation of any vehicle approaching from the opposite direction or any vehicle overtaken. In every event the overtaking vehicle must return to an authorized lane of travel as soon as practicable and, in the event the passing movement involves the use of a lane authorized for vehicles approaching from the opposite direction, before coming within two hundred feet of any approaching vehicle.

You should probably brush up on Title 42, PS.

Reply to topic  [ 170 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15  Next