It is currently Dec 18, 2017 7:53 am 

Do you or someone you know need some help with a project?
Click here to contact the Neighborhood Action Team.

Reply to topic  [ 170 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next

Previous topic | Next topic 

Post subject: Re: Driving For Dummies!
Post Posted: Aug 20, 2014 9:56 pm 
Posts Semi-Regularly
Posts Semi-Regularly
12 pages? That's all you got[sic]?

BG, thanks for the initial post. I enjoyed all of the points you made and the sense of humor!

I just found this thread tonight and enjoyed the discussion, at least until it turned into a gramma lesson.

RE: The top of Richmond Hill. The merge left is wrong! The Highway Department got it wrong. I'm pretty sure I can stay in the right lane and head down the hill 50 mph faster than going through the chicane of merging left and then back right.

Speaking of wrong - Schaffers Crossing now has rumble strips that tell you are wrong if you stay in the through lane as marked! What idiot at CDOT dreamed that up?

I was surprised that there was so little discussion of Rule 2. I've always been amazed at how many drivers burn out their brakes going downhill. Do they no longer teach drivers how to make a transmission work for you?

Deke, do you still have that XK120 Coupe? She's pretty!

Post Posted: Aug 20, 2014 10:02 pm 
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Oh my, Big Time poster!
RkyMtnFool wrote:
BG, thanks for the initial post. I enjoyed all of the points you made and the sense of humor!

Thanks for taking it in the spirit it was meant.

Post Posted: Aug 21, 2014 6:40 am 
Whoa momma! A top Pinecam poster!
Regarding high beams: I don't know what the Colorado Driving Handbook says, but in Kansas I remember it said that if you're on a two-lane highway at night with high beams on, and another vehicle is approaching, you have to switch off your high beams no less than 500 feet from the oncoming vehicle. (It also said that if you're within 100 feet behind a vehicle on the same side, you also must switch off the high beams.) Back when I was younger (in the 1960's), and would be riding home at night with my family after visiting relatives on their farms, drivers always courteously switched off their high beams before getting too close to us, and Dad or Mom would do the same.

I don't drive at night that much, but when I do, I always practice the same courtesy. Unfortunately, most courtesy has gone the way of the T-Rex (extinct), at least as far as driving is concerned.

Someone mentioned a few pages back that people drive more aggresively in larger cities. I agree. If you want to see that for yourself, drive in San Diego, or even (gasp!) Los Angeles on their freeways! (I've driven in both cities.) Talk about intense! But at least in So-Cal the drivers move along at good paces (unless there's a huge traffic jam which is common in LA, even during the day) and almost always signal lane changes (gee, what a novel concept!).

As far as merging: I remember PrintSmith saying many years ago in a thread here that, if he's merging on a freeway and his front left quarter panel is opposite the right rear quarter panel of a vehicle on the through lane, he'd fall behind. If the right quarter panel of the vehicle on the through lane is opposite PS's left rear quarter panel, PS should merge in front of the vehicle. (PS, I hope I got that right! :yikes:)

At the very least, accelerate to freeway speed while still on the entrance ramp and then sync up with traffic on the right-hand through lane and slip in where you can!

As for "grammar police": When someone dinged a poster for saying "tha" when they meant "the", all I could think of was: "The poster must have learned his/her lesson well from the Mopar School of Spelling!" :hugegrin:

Post Posted: Aug 21, 2014 7:04 am 
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Bailey Guns wrote:
RkyMtnFool wrote:

Thanks for taking it in the spirit it was meant.

BG, I would have taken it in that same spirit if you hadn't wrapped up your original post with this statement:
Quote:
And before you ask, even rhetorically, the answer is "yes". I do think I'm a better driver than some people on the road. I've been doing it for almost 40 years and I've had lots of professional training. And, I've seen how people drive. It's scary.

That came across as both preachy and condescending. But then, that is your m.o., isn't it?

Post Posted: Aug 21, 2014 7:15 am 
keg wrote:
That came across as both preachy and condescending. But then, that is your m.o., isn't it?

You do know that BG is former LE, right? I think LEO's have to take intensive driving training before they can patrol, which could arguably make them "professional drivers."

Don't get me wrong. I don't cotten to most of BG's opinions in The Study, but at least here in The Living Room I want to be sure everyone is treated fairly. (And no, I'm not a Mod.)

Post Posted: Aug 21, 2014 7:56 am 
rkymtnfool thankyou. I always wondered why the painted arrow in jeff co went one way to merge and the one in park co went the other. So glad they faded out. I thought maybe different co different rules.

Post Posted: Aug 21, 2014 9:52 am 
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Oh my, Big Time poster!
RedRocker wrote:
You do know that BG is former LE, right? I think LEO's have to take intensive driving training before they can patrol, which could arguably make them "professional drivers."

Yes, I know that. But when he takes advantage of that to say "I know how to drive better than you" (which is how that first post sounded to me), it doesn't really matter what the foundation is, it still comes across as condescending to me. I am willing to concede that might just be me (as BG would say, "my m.o.").

Post Posted: Aug 21, 2014 10:35 am 
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Oh my, Big Time poster!
I'm sure there are things you can do better than I can, keg. I'm not offended or threatened by that. I said I was a better driver than some people on the road. That may include you or it may not. No need to be so sensitive.

I would describe my m.o. as more heavily sarcastic. Preachy and condescending...not so much. But it's possible you feel that way. That doesn't bother me, either.

Post Posted: Aug 21, 2014 12:30 pm 
Active Pinecam Poster
Active Pinecam Poster
Love it! You should send this to The Denver Post. Or email it. Text it? What is the protocol these days? ;)
I've often thought of writing my own thoughts on this very subject down and sending it, but you just did!

Post Posted: Aug 21, 2014 6:06 pm 
Prolific Pinecam Poster
Prolific Pinecam Poster
I actually posted "tha" on purpose, picked on the word dummies as an attempt at mocking the game being played based on personal m.o.'s. I had a laugh today when I heard a person say windage (as the wind blows) and immediately thought of windage (curvy road). Webster's says it's okay.

Post Posted: Aug 21, 2014 7:04 pm 
Posts pretty often
Posts pretty often
RkyMtnFool wrote:
12 pages? That's all you got[sic]?

I just found this thread tonight and enjoyed the discussion, at least until it turned into a gramma lesson.

RE: The top of Richmond Hill. The merge left is wrong! The Highway Department got it wrong. I'm pretty sure I can stay in the right lane and head down the hill 50 mph faster than going through the chicane of merging left and then back right.

Speaking of wrong - Schaffers Crossing now has rumble strips that tell you are wrong if you stay in the through lane as marked! What idiot at CDOT dreamed that up?

I was surprised that there was so little discussion of Rule 2. I've always been amazed at how many drivers burn out their brakes going downhill. Do they no longer teach drivers how to make a transmission work for you?

Deke, do you still have that XK120 Coupe? She's pretty!

That area is oddly worse than it was before. What an awkward turn right at the median! Also the paint lines are totally jacked and like you said the rumble strips are very confusing. I can't imagine being an OTR trucker and "stumbling" upon that area for the first time. Seems like they are asking for a disaster much more than before. I'm sure they have a plan to smooth it out though...

Post Posted: Aug 21, 2014 11:48 pm 
Stratospheric Poster!
Stratospheric Poster!
Blazer Bob wrote:
sunsetinthepines wrote:
Bailey Guns wrote:
But, now that I think about it, there is one headlight issue that drives me crazy. It's the person that doesn't seem to understand that high beams can be switched off as easily as they can be switched on. People who didn't dim their high beams even after a courtesy flash from me ALWAYS earned a ticket. That was/is a pet peeve.

:yeah that:
I can't figure out WHY someone who is given a courtesy flash STILL doesn't dim their lights! I wonder if they are asleep, on the phone, drunk,etc. as how can they be so inconsiderate. Even if I flash 3 times they STILL don't get it. Some of the worst offenders are on 4 lane highways with no or little median where you are going around a sweeping left turn. Anyone coming the opposite way has their lights aimed right at you. Has anyone met (or are) this driver and can explain why he/she does this?

Question for you, since you are sweeping right do you leave your brights on a little longer? That is how I manage my brights.

I might be that driver. I recall arriving at the Denver airport some years ago. We got our rental after dark. I had a huge problem figuring out to drive it at all. Lights, seat...etc. once I was ready to go the management came out and said woops. that is a mid size, you paid for a compact.

We were beat from the trip and just trying to get to our kids place so we could get some rest. Now I had to master a whole different set of controls.

Not excusing it, just saying maybe they could not figure out the cockpit.

ON a 4 lane highway - if I'm sweeping LEFT, I often leave my brights on because both my Subie and Toyota have TERRIBLE low beam lights. Of course, if anyone "flashed" me I would turn them down. Any OTHER case, then I turn them down and would expect others to do so also. The problem is when I'm sweeping left, the opposing traffic is sweeping RIGHT and that is when their brights are nasty!
As for the excuse of the rental car - that might explain 0.0001% of the cases. ALmost all cars use the same setup for lights now.

Reply to topic  [ 170 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next