It is currently Mar 24, 2017 9:55 am 

Do you or someone you know need some help with a project?
Click here to contact the Neighborhood Action Team.

Reply to topic  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Previous topic | Next topic 

Post subject: King's Valley and 285 Intersection Traffic Concern Meeting
Post Posted: Aug 16, 2016 6:07 pm 
Infrequent Pinecam poster
Is anyone aware of a neighborhood/area meeting to discuss this dangerous intersection?

Post subject: Re: King's Valley and 285 Intersection Traffic Concern Meeti
Post Posted: Aug 17, 2016 6:42 am 
Posts Semi-Regularly
Posts Semi-Regularly
I am not aware of a neighborhood meeting but if there is please post on Pinecam. I live in Kings Valley and it is getting more difficult crossing over 285 when I need to go north bound. In a matter of a few days I saw a car at the 2nd stop sign waiting to make a left onto 285. A car was in the turn lane getting ready to make a right turn into KV. The car in front of me thought it was clear and decided to go ahead and make their left. The next thing I hear is a horn blaring- I look towards to see where it was coming from and saw that the person making that left onto 285 almost hit a motorcyclist going southbound. They made the assumption that there were no other vehicles going south. The other day, I am at the 2nd stop sign waiting to cross over to go north on 285. Lots of traffic coming down going sougt- I had a vehicle behind me also wanting to go north on 285 and they felt that I was not moving fast enough and decided to blare their horn. I stayed put until I new it was safe to cross.

One thing I noticed is that people coming down to the KV intersection fail to notice that there are 2 stop signs because of a frontage road. And last time I checked, you cannot block an intersection like I see too often occurring at that intersection.

Sorry for venting- but it is frustrating. Please let me know if you hear of anything and any suggestions I can do to bring this to someone's attention. Contact our representative? The Sheriff's dept? CDOT? Any ideas will be greatly appreciated.

Post Posted: Aug 17, 2016 7:56 am 
Posts Semi-Regularly
Posts Semi-Regularly
Exactly how the motorcyclist died in June! We have witnessed many accidents and near misses in many years since we have been here. Recently, a car, a truck and a motorcyclist blocking the frontage road. As we sit waiting to turn on the frontage road, the truck realizes he's blocking, backs up right into the motorcycle because he can't see him right on his [censored word] to get out. No one was hurt, but they were wearing no leather, no sleeves and no helmets..... both of the riders.

Contact Steve Harelson at CDOT by email
steve.harelson@state.co.us or phone 720-497-6913.
He is our contact for this area. He also suggested to contact our county commissioners to make it known to them we want this changed.

Unfortunately, it looks like the overpass (planned in 2004) won't happen for many years, because of funding. They are looking into a stoplight, and a right turn only off of Kings Valley. Too slow to help us this summer. Until there are more deaths.....

There is talk of a community meeting..... info to come soon.

Post Posted: Aug 17, 2016 9:31 am 
Whoa momma! A top Pinecam poster!
Whoa momma! A top Pinecam poster!
If you are truly looking for alternative suggestions to propose, please do a search of this forum for a suggestion from Lazierfan regarding running a new access road parallel to 285 from KV up to the Richmond Hill overpass. That would seem to meet the requirements of those trying to get onto north-bound 285 and would have the added benefit of minimizing (or perhaps even eliminating) the impact of construction on existing 285 traffic.

Post Posted: Aug 17, 2016 2:08 pm 
Posts Semi-Regularly
Posts Semi-Regularly
I am glad that there are others that feel the same way about people blocking the frontage road. There have been a few times that, because of the traffic, I would like to be able to back up in order that I can go over Conifer Mtn and I can't because of cars blocking the intersection. I will contact both Steve Harelson at CDOT and our county commissions.

Post Posted: Aug 17, 2016 7:32 pm 
Posts Semi-Regularly
Posts Semi-Regularly
Better be careful too about running the first stop sign I have seen the police hiding just behind the sign for the kum and go and wait for you to run that stop.

Post Posted: Aug 17, 2016 7:57 pm 
I really hope they don't even consider a traffic light. It is bad enough on Friday nights with the single lanes and traffic light at Pine Junction. I also would like to see the frontage road up to Richmond hill. I am sure it will be after I retire that the lanes are expanded to two lanes both ways.

Post Posted: Aug 18, 2016 7:24 am 
Prolific Pinecam Poster
Prolific Pinecam Poster
livingthedream wrote:
I really hope they don't even consider a traffic light. It is bad enough on Friday nights with the single lanes and traffic light at Pine Junction. I also would like to see the frontage road up to Richmond hill. I am sure it will be after I retire that the lanes are expanded to two lanes both ways.

There is no question if there were a traffic light there the number of accidents would increase. Imagine people trying to stop during the winter coming down from Richmond Hill, or the Friday Flatlanders with their giant trucks pulling an RV, boat, trailer or all of the above trying to stop. A traffic light makes no sense and would make a bad situation worse (which is why I have little doubt that CDOT will at least consider it).

“No study to date has positively attributed all or part of the climate change to man–made causes”. “None of the studies cited above has shown clear evidence that we can attribute the observed climate changes to increases in greenhouse gases.”

Deleted from the final draft of "The Science of Climate Change 1995" by The United Nations’ Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change.

Post Posted: Aug 18, 2016 10:07 am 
I sent an email to the Jeffco County Commissioners via this page.

http://jeffco.us/county-administrator/c ... nistrator/

Feel free to do the same.

Post subject: Is a stop light really going in at Kings Valley
Post Posted: Aug 18, 2016 3:33 pm 
I heard a stop light is going in at kings valley? Please tell me it's a myth!
Surely there's a better solution! Ugh!

Voltaire

Post Posted: Aug 18, 2016 7:35 pm 
Active Pinecam Poster
Active Pinecam Poster
keg wrote:
If you are truly looking for alternative suggestions to propose, please do a search of this forum for a suggestion from Lazierfan regarding running a new access road parallel to 285 from KV up to the Richmond Hill overpass. That would seem to meet the requirements of those trying to get onto north-bound 285 and would have the added benefit of minimizing (or perhaps even eliminating) the impact of construction on existing 285 traffic.

This does seem like a common sense/low impact solution. I'm quoting it since everyone who posted after you seems to have ignored it as a possibility.

Post Posted: Aug 18, 2016 9:07 pm 
Posts pretty often
Posts pretty often
Easier said than done. It would mean cutting into the rock 50 feet wide all the way to the top of the hill and hauling the material somewhere else. To get equipment and trucks in place to do would be an enormous disruption to 285 for quite some time. But the end result would be a big improvement.

Reply to topic  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next