It is currently May 19, 2019 1:15 am 

Do you or someone you know need some help with a project?
Click here to contact the Neighborhood Action Team.

Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Previous topic | Next topic 

Post subject: CNG Price increase finalized
Post Posted: Jan 1, 2019 3:28 pm 
Stratospheric Poster!
Stratospheric Poster!
Yesterday I got a rather misleading letter from Colorado Natural Gas that our rates are going up 12.11% because the "Tax Cut and Jobs Act" credit we got for 2017 was ending. The new rates negotiated with the PUC now include the cut and are therefore not a separate line item. So...did our rates just go up 12.11%? No - they went up 25%! Last month our rate increased 9.6% plus the service fee and taxes also increased. Combined increase ends up being more than 25%. That includes the price of the NG itself which just DROPPED about 10% and comprises only 16% of our bill! Ouch. How can this company be mismanaged so much that the cost of running the gas to us goes up that much? :yikes:
To make it worse, we pay more than their other service areas (Eastern CO, Pueblo West, Cripple Creek) by 25% or more? Why would the great metropolis of Cripple Creek get better rates than us?
As usual, the only recourse is sending written complaints to dora_puc_complaints@state.co.us or 1560 Broadway, Suite 250, Denver CO 80202 immediately as the new rates go in effect on Feb 1. :rant:

Post subject: Re: CNG Price increase finalized
Post Posted: Jan 1, 2019 4:06 pm 
Prolific Pinecam Poster
Prolific Pinecam Poster
I see they were successful in increasing the base hookup to $16.

Post Posted: Jan 1, 2019 4:40 pm 
Stratospheric Poster!
Stratospheric Poster!
CNG really sucks (people's money) just a bad company all around. There are companies that I think really suck and have no integrity, Centurylink is included in my list whereas IREA is an exceptionally good company.

It is too bad it is such a monopoly which allows them to get away with what they do. Even IREA is a monopoly and yet they are still a high integrity company, so that makes them exceptional in my book.

Post Posted: Jan 2, 2019 11:05 am 
Infrequent Pinecam poster
I am wanting to protest the increase as well, but it seems more complicated than just a price increase. It used to be natural gas was a 'bargain' compared to propane, but for us it seems to be of no real advantage. The price of natural gas is fairly constant on the commodity markets--around $3/therm (https://www.macrotrends.net/2478/natura ... ical-chart), so that would not justify a rate increase in my mind. However, the price CNG is stating on our bills is $1.37/therm for gas used after Nov 30. That would mean they are selling the gas for half the commodity market rate. So why is there that discrepancy, they wouldn't do that? I need enlightened by someone more knowledgeable than me!
On our side, last summer they did write that they would be passing on $1.379 million in tax savings before the end of 2018, but in the mailing we just got, they said they have passed on over $.62 million. So just under half of what they said they would. To me, that might be the only objection we can stand on? Also, I don't think the savings because of the new tax law should end with 2018, since the law does continue until congress decides to change it.

Post Posted: Jan 2, 2019 11:37 am 
Stratospheric Poster!
Stratospheric Poster!
xpigfarmer wrote:
I am wanting to protest the increase as well, but it seems more complicated than just a price increase. It used to be natural gas was a 'bargain' compared to propane, but for us it seems to be of no real advantage. The price of natural gas is fairly constant on the commodity markets--around $3/therm (https://www.macrotrends.net/2478/natura ... ical-chart), so that would not justify a rate increase in my mind. However, the price CNG is stating on our bills is $1.37/therm for gas used after Nov 30. That would mean they are selling the gas for half the commodity market rate. So why is there that discrepancy, they wouldn't do that? I need enlightened by someone more knowledgeable than me!
On our side, last summer they did write that they would be passing on $1.379 million in tax savings before the end of 2018, but in the mailing we just got, they said they have passed on over $.62 million. So just under half of what they said they would. To me, that might be the only objection we can stand on? Also, I don't think the savings because of the new tax law should end with 2018, since the law does continue until congress decides to change it.

Serious Error in your description of the chart! The prices you see in your chart are for 1000 cubic feet of gas. A therm is 100 cubic feet so you have to divide the results by 10. Right now natural gas is about $0.26/therm!! CNG does in fact charge exactly what they are charged for the gas as that by law they have to. The problem is their overhead which adds up to the other $1.30 or so per therm! That is about TRIPLE of XCEL which the lucky people of some areas Aspen Park and to the east get to enjoy!

Also - the new tax law does NOT expire in 2018 - actually it never does for the business side unless Congress specifically re-raises the tax. Some of the individual tax breaks (lower brackets and higher standard deduction) expire at the end of 2027 (10 years) unless congress agrees to extend them.

Post Posted: Jan 4, 2019 12:34 pm 
Whoa momma! A top Pinecam poster!
12.11%. Significant compared to any cost of living raise. :(

Post Posted: Jan 4, 2019 1:31 pm 
That's an increase of $211.51 on my bills for last year and that's' assuming we don't have a hard winter. It's a lot to find when you haven't had a pay rise in years!

Post Posted: Jan 4, 2019 1:35 pm 
ChampagneAbby wrote:
That's an increase of $211.51 on my bills for last year and that's' assuming we don't have a hard winter. It's a lot to find when you haven't had a pay rise in years!

Amen!

Post Posted: Jan 4, 2019 3:07 pm 
Stratospheric Poster!
Stratospheric Poster!
Chinook wrote:

Remember though that the actual increase is about 25%, not 12%!

Post Posted: Jan 4, 2019 3:11 pm 
sunsetinthepines wrote:
Chinook wrote:

Remember though that the actual increase is about 25%, not 12%!

Special!

Post Posted: Jan 4, 2019 6:11 pm 
I called CNG today to ask questions and see when the PUC hearing was to be so I could do comments. The lady I spoke to was very nice and understanding. I learned that the new rate took affect Dec 1, and that there is no comment period now with the PUC for that reason. The change is done. The rates were approved sometime between the notice last summer and December, and do factor in the tax savings as part of the rate change. Just to note, the changes are less than the originally proposed bills would have been without the federal tax cuts act, i.e, the initial proposed average monthly bill last summer was $156, but the new one now with the tax savings was shown as $125. Still an increase, but not as much without the tax savings. I know part of the plan last summer would have included a $25 facility fee; our new facility fee is now $16--which really stinks when our gas usage in he summer is only $2 a month!

Post Posted: Jan 5, 2019 12:06 am 
Stratospheric Poster!
Stratospheric Poster!
OK - I hope I'm wrong and the increase is only 12% but if that is true then they would have to decrease the usage charges the same amount that the $0.19/therm credit that we are now getting with the tax credit. I doubt it. This is such a scam. There still hasn't been a description on why they need to have this big rate increase to start. Basically what they are doing saying is instead of just raising rates by 12% we will raise them by 25% and then you give you a tax credit which brings it down to 12%! Instead, we should be getting a rate CUT because of the saved money from the tax credit! The letter they just sent out said that people could still file complaints/appeals so I'm a bit confused.

Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next