It is currently Jun 18, 2018 8:47 pm 

If you enter a post in this forum that violates the Pinecam Terms of Service,
you may get a suspension with no warning.

note: quotes must be 4 or fewer sentences/the source cited, by URL if online

Reply to topic  [ 615 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44 ... 52  Next

Previous topic | Next topic 

Post subject: Re: Park Sheriff election (Merged Topics)
Post Posted: May 25, 2018 6:59 pm 
Active Pinecam Poster
Active Pinecam Poster
Thank you for the reminder Guyot guy.
I know this weekend is set aside to honor our fallen military heroes, but a prayer for Nate Carrigan and Kolby Martin, seems to be in order!

Post Posted: May 25, 2018 7:20 pm 
Posts Semi-Regularly
Posts Semi-Regularly
Well said Scalawagy!!!! Many thanks for your kind words!

Post Posted: May 25, 2018 7:24 pm 
Active Pinecam Poster
Active Pinecam Poster
Lookielou wrote:
Mr. Spodyak, Thank you for your response on your DUI and while it is appreciated the election started in January. If transparency, honesty and your character are what you claim will make you a good leader why wouldn’t you release this information then? Why are you not being fully forthcoming about your criminal history? To error is human, to cover it up is deceitful.

Lookielou, Is there some other criminal activity in Mr. Spodyak's history that you're aware of, and not sharing? or did you just make a mistake in grammar?

I'm still deciding which candidate to vote for but a 20 year old dui will not effect my decision, perhaps he should have disclosed sooner, but I won't hold that against him either. His letter says the charges were dropped, that would lead me to believe the DA and judge felt the circumstances of the offense didn't require a conviction.

edit: the candidate was 20 years old, I'm assuming that was more than 20 years ago!
My bad!!

Post Posted: May 25, 2018 10:15 pm 
Infrequent Pinecam poster
Regarding Deputy Spodyak's arrest admission. Having worked for the DMV for over 30 years I am the most anti impaired driving person out there, but I have to say unless Deputy Spodyak purposefully lied about his arrest for this election or during any background check within his employment within Park County, then in my opinion this arrest is a mute point and should not be held against him. At the end of the day, I will not be voting for Mr. Spodyak, but my cast has nothing to do with with this recent admission. Shame on who ever is trying to make this a factor in the race.

Post Posted: May 25, 2018 10:31 pm 
SMonson, in response to your comments and questions:
I would respectfully have to disagree with your comment about taking the low road (which historically, usually implies you are taking the easy way out). I don’t believe proposing a 1% sales tax is taking the easy way out, especially in Park County. I do believe that I am the only candidate that is providing a reliable funding stream to make much needed improvements for PCSO and we are targeting the tourists coming through Park County to pay their fair share which lessens the impact on our own citizens. During my time as a Commissioner, the Board was never approached with a request for a larger budget for the Sheriff’s Office (SO). I want to clarify for you that I did not have to convince 7 elected officials of anything. I stated in my post that the Board of County Commissioners was responsible to 7 elected officials and their departments along with their own budgets. As one of three County Commissioners we had a responsibility to disperse monies from the general budget to these 7 elected officials and their departments. We, as Commissioners, did not have to convince them of anything; actually, they had to convince us when they were requesting more monies to be put into their specific budgets.

I brought up a special election in response to some individuals wanting to know how quickly creating a new funding stream could happen.
I have to, again, respectfully disagree (partially) with your statement “The new leadership will have to convince deputies that Park County is a great place to work despite lesser benefits. Money does not solve everything.” You are correct in saying that money does not solve everything. It is essential, though, that your basic needs are covered for you and your family (housing, clothing and food). It is not simply that Park County offers “lesser benefits”; deputies cannot afford the basic of needs when trying to work and live in Park County. The surrounding counties (and police departments/sheriff offices) that I am speaking of are Jeffco, Summit, Clear Creek, Teller, Fremont, Black Hawk PD, Denver PD, Littleton PD, to name a few. In addition, they have gone to the US Mint and Federal Court House Security. While we may not be able to match dollar to dollar with some large counties and police departments, we can improve our “package” that we can offer to hire and retain quality employees for Park County Sheriff’s Office. Your idea of communicating with similar counties and departments facing the same challenges is a good one! There is always knowledge to gain from other’s successes and failures. It is my desire to create an environment that will enable our deputies to live in and be a part of this community. This is a win; win for both the deputy and the community that they are involved in.
Leadership is going to be essential, not only within the Sheriff’s Office but with the citizens of Park County. As I stated in my previous post, the wording of a tax proposal is how you guarantee that the funds are used “appropriately”. I mentioned the creating of (or possibly partnering with current E911 board) to disperse monies that are generated from a 1% sales tax. This would create accountability to the citizens of Park County with these funds. There is also a ‘sunset clause’ you could add that would give the citizens the ability to revoke this sales tax in the event they do not feel it is being the used the way it was intended. Again, the citizens have to have faith and trust in the Sheriff, understanding that this would not be presented to the citizens on a ‘whim’. This is why honesty, integrity and transparency are vital to the position of Sheriff.
At the beginning of this campaign, while talking to individuals about issues they wanted the Sheriff to address, there was an overwhelming concern for the following issues:
1. Hiring and retaining qualified deputies for Park County.
2. Having delegated School Resource Officers at the schools in Park County.
3. Being able to efficiently respond to calls for service/protection from citizens in Park County.
4. The need for honesty and transparency from those in command positions with Park County Sheriff’s Office (PCSO).
5. Sufficient on-going training.
An additional $900,000 would allow the Sheriff’s Office to support 3 School Resource Officers. It would allow the SO to increase our wages. It would allow the SO to change its current retirement program. An additional $900,000 added to our current budget for the SO would be instrumently in providing and supporting much needed improvements within the PCSO.
Respectfully,
John Tighe, Candidate for Park County Sheriff

Post Posted: May 26, 2018 12:15 am 
Active Pinecam Poster
Active Pinecam Poster
While the idea of a new sales tax might have majority support in the Bailey area, some around here may not be aware that in Fairplay the sales tax is 8.9% and Alma is 7.9%. I would think that would make it a much harder sell on that side of the county.

Post Posted: May 26, 2018 8:36 am 
Posts Semi-Regularly
Posts Semi-Regularly
I want to clear the air about some things. I have previously posted that I had been approached by individuals claiming they had specific information about Sheriff candidates having criminal records. These individuals wanted me to disclose this to the Flume. As I have posted, I told the individuals that if they actually had relevant proof of this, it would constitute a matter of obvious public interest, and they themselves bore responsibility to disclose that information in an appropriate manner.
Days before Steve Spodyak posted his letter on this thread, I was finally provided documentation evidencing an arrest record. Again, I was expected to release the record to the Flume. Please appreciate that I had made many DUI arrests, some in which suspect noncompliance was significant. Some involved exchange of punches with injury and violence, but the suspects all went to jail. I do not view DUI as anything but a serious offense with profound potential for injury and death.
I examined the arrest record and found the story of a young college student having made a very bad decision and having been arrested and charged. I was then faced with a difficult decision about my own personal responsibility.
I decided that due to the fact that the arrest occurred 18 years ago, and considering how the information could adversely impact Spodyak, I had an ethical obligation to directly contact Spodyak prior to taking any further action.
My conversation with Spodyak caught him completely by surprise. He could have interacted with me in a number of ways. He was open and responsive, accepting complete responsibility and confirming the case disposition. He immediately agreed that despite the fact that he had received a deferred sentence, having fully satisfied all court imposed requirements, and having the charges subsequently dismissed, he needed to appropriately disclose relevant facts about the arrest.
My experience about this matter left me with some thoughts regarding Spodyak and Gary Rhoads. I believe that the manner in which both men handled the incident says much about their personal morals and ethics.
The details of a nearly twenty year old arrest are less important to me than what Spodyak took from that incident. I believe that he came away with what was correct and important. When he told me that the arrest was a much needed wake up moment that caused him to reevaluate his actions, I believed him. He used the incident to change his life and to bring him to the person he is today. That outcome is all that I ever hoped could happen for those I arrested; that some greater good would come out of something so unfortunate and tragic.
I came away with personal respect for how Spodyak had handled a difficult time in his life.
Readers need to know something about the involvement of Gary Rhoads. For some time before this incident came to light, Rhoads was also the recipient of claims regarding alleged criminal records of other candidates. Rhoads was also faced with demands that he publicly disclose this information. We discussed the correct way to deal with this. Having himself experienced claims of dishonesty and impropriety surface in the Flume, Rhoads could have decided to return the favor. Instead, he agreed with me that such action would be wrong and that we both owed Spodyak an opportunity to provide response and further explanation.
I believe that the way in which both men handled the incident says some positive things about their character and integrity. My hope is that readers will view my own actions as reasonable and appropriate.

Post Posted: May 27, 2018 12:31 pm 
Posts Semi-Regularly
Posts Semi-Regularly
I had the pleasure of talking with some Park County dispatchers and realized that lost in the discussion regarding the stress and frustration experienced by those who work to provide us with law enforcement services are those individuals. Many readers may not know that the duties of dispatchers require a level of heightened awareness and stress that is not often healthy, and made only worse with the problems in our situation. Our dispatch personnel have to deal with working extended shifts and changing schedules. They deserve our sincere appreciation and respect.
On another note, I see a Gore supporter has posted another of those items featuring a photo of a character from an old TV western, with the caption that Gore will clean things up. When such language is typically used, it implies a need to address corruption. Whatever may rightly be said about Department dysfunction or deficiency, I do not believe that there has been widespread corruption involving Department personnel. As a matter of fact, the only unproven allegations of corruption I have heard have involved Gore himself. If that language was intended to forward an allegation of such corruption, my belief is that it does disservice to the good men and women working for the Department.

Post Posted: May 27, 2018 2:35 pm 
Active Pinecam Poster
Active Pinecam Poster
WeimMom wrote:
Why would anyone who has the slightest interest in this very serious subject choose to start a forum in that vile, discredited (removed by moderators) FB. This may come as a shock to the sheeple who blindly follow, but most thinking people give that pit a wide circle. Start a dedicated website that is accessible to all and won't result in folks being inundated with unwanted solicitations and privacy intrusions. To the sheriff candidates I say take your case to all the citizens of Park County in November, instead of letting the corrupt, good ol' boy policies of the CO Republican party machine dictate the choices the people have.

Reject the status quo and choose the best "person" for the job not someone with a particular political bent. The sheriff should be perceived as neutral, like a judge should be, as should any civil servant be.

I Agree!
If yo do a google search, "(fill in the candidate's name) for Park county sheriff"
You will be directed to the candidates web site. Where a wealth of information is available on each candidate.
Except, for Gary Rhoads, Why is that? Is it just me? am I unable to find his Web page?

Post Posted: May 27, 2018 3:47 pm 
Posts Semi-Regularly
Posts Semi-Regularly
Apparently it is just you.....

http://garyrhoadsforsheriff.com/

Post Posted: May 27, 2018 3:48 pm 
Posts Semi-Regularly
Posts Semi-Regularly
Quote:
I Agree!
If yo do a google search, "(fill in the candidate's name) for Park county sheriff"
You will be directed to the candidates web site. Where a wealth of information is available on each candidate.
Except, for Gary Rhoads, Why is that? Is it just me? am I unable to find his Web page?

http://www.garyrhoadsforsheriff.com

Post Posted: May 27, 2018 4:34 pm 
Active Pinecam Poster
Active Pinecam Poster
Thank you both,
Obviously, my failure!

Reply to topic  [ 615 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44 ... 52  Next