It is currently Jul 21, 2018 11:22 am 

Do you or someone you know need some help with a project?
Click here to contact the Neighborhood Action Team.

Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Previous topic | Next topic 

Post subject: Re: King Soopers Selling Firewood
Post Posted: Jul 1, 2018 9:18 am 
Scanner Monitor
Scanner Monitor
I know it's not probably not permitted, but a sign next to the display of wood might catch at least one careless person's eye.

It's kind of fun to do the impossible.

Dum spiro spero - While I breathe, I hope.

Post Posted: Jul 1, 2018 10:16 am 
Pinecam Hall of Fame poster!
When I did my “ survey” on my receipt I added comments that stated I felt it was stupid and reckless to sell fire wood during a burn ban. That’s my story and I’m sticking to it.

Post Posted: Jul 1, 2018 10:18 am 
Active Pinecam Poster
Active Pinecam Poster
I agree. I have been saying this for years....
if a person sells a gun to someone and they commit a horrible murder and they get charged for helping

Does king soppers or whoever sells the firewood get the same if a huge fire erupts. ?????
Just saying

King soppers states they are always here helping the community and I know they do a lot on other aspects. So why can’t they stop selling. Wood with the burn bans restrictions. Is the all mighty dollar worth it.

Post Posted: Jul 1, 2018 10:57 am 
Prolific Pinecam Poster
Prolific Pinecam Poster
I've lived here in Baily for nearly 28 years, and am as concerned about the fire danger as anyone.
But to expect a retailer to not sell something, that is legal, because someone might use it in an illegal or careless manner, is just wrong!
Perhaps your efforts would be better received, and more productive to ask the retailers to post a sign by the fire wood, stating something like
"due to the current drought and dry conditions, Fire danger is very high! This and other counties have open burning restrictions in place. Please check before starting a camp fire.

Post Posted: Jul 1, 2018 11:17 am 
Prolific Pinecam Poster
Prolific Pinecam Poster
justjoe wrote:
That's just an excellent point. Frankly, I'm much more afraid of the prospect of careless or ignorant campers than I am of firearms.

I'm with you on that Joe

Post Posted: Jul 1, 2018 11:31 am 
Infrequent Pinecam poster
Infrequent Pinecam poster
PERHAPS SAFEWAY SHOULD STOP SELLING FORKS BECAUSE PEOPLE ARE OVEREATING. GAS STATIONS SHOULD STOP SELLING BIC LIGHTERS,TOO. I ALSO BELIEVE AUTOMOBILE COMPANIES SHOULD CEASE THE MANUFACTURING OF VEHICLES FOR EVERY DAY USE DUE TO STUPID DRIVERS.OH WAIT. I THINK SONIC AND WENDY'S AND ALL OTHER FAST FOOD ESTABLISHMENTS SHOULD CLOSE THEIR DOORS BECAUSE PEOPLE ARE OVERWEIGHT AND UNHEALTHY AND CANNOT EAT RESPONSIBLY. WOW. NOW ISN'T THAT JUST SO IRRESPONSIBLE AND NEGLIGENT. ACCOUNTABILITY AND RESPONSIBILITY HERE. KING SOOPERS IS NOT TO BLAME FOR THE STUPIDITY OF OTHERS AFTER PURCHASE. I CAN ONLY IMAGINE THE LAWSUITS THEY MUST FACE DUE TO THE DANGEROUS ALUMINUM CANS THAT REQUIRE A CAN OPENER. SHAKING MY HEAD FOLKS, SHAKING MY HEAD...

Post Posted: Jul 1, 2018 11:41 am 
Active Pinecam Poster
Active Pinecam Poster
All I was saying is. Look at the gun violence. Kids are protesting weapons. These weapons are legal also. I was only making a point.
If my home burns down. Cause a a person who started a illegal cam fire and bought the wood from loaf, kings or Safeway. I would sue the person and the store for contributing to the fact.
This is just my opinion. Everybody does not have to like it. I value everyone option. No need to yell in caps.

Post Posted: Jul 1, 2018 12:18 pm 
Prolific Pinecam Poster
Prolific Pinecam Poster
sealy wrote:
All I was saying is. Look at the gun violence. Kids are protesting weapons. These weapons are legal also. I was only making a point.
If my home burns down. Cause a a person who started a illegal cam fire and bought the wood from loaf, kings or Safeway. I would sue the person and the store for contributing to the fact.
This is just my opinion. Everybody does not have to like it. I value everyone option. No need to yell in caps.

You're right, no need to yell!
But your argument is flawed. You're trying to place liability where there is none, the person who started the illegal fire, the person who was careless, is the responsible party, no one else! In your mind, is the one who cut and packaged the wood also liable? What about the truck driver who delivered it?
Should there also be a ban on a business man who sells and delivers wood by the cord. What if some one was to use some of that wood to start a campfire that burned down your home?

Post Posted: Jul 1, 2018 12:45 pm 
I follow the logic, believe me. I don't want more laws, I just want retailers in good faith to lessen the anxiety of the locals that frequent their establishments and not sell wood during burn bans. Because they are for the most part, selling it to the campers. If corporate can take a political side and not sell gun magazines, they could just as readily make a statement of support to their customer base.

Ive lived here since 03 and lost count of how many abandoned or ineffectively extinguished camp fires Ive helped put out and some of those were also during burn bans.

Post Posted: Jul 1, 2018 1:52 pm 
Prolific Pinecam Poster
Prolific Pinecam Poster
What if the person buying the wood in going to their cabin/vacation home that has a perfectly safe legal wood cook stove or fire place. Maybe they're buying the wood because they don't want to use their chain saw when the fire danger is so high. You're asking the retailer to be our nanny! We didn't like that behavior with the magazines, but now you expect it?

Post Posted: Jul 1, 2018 2:45 pm 
What if and maybe.....

Expect? C'mon. Lately, I can't even expect KS to keep a lot of my staples in stock. Don't suppose you've seen all the FB and other site posts wondering why the store shelves are ravaged and in a constant state of disarray. When I get lucky and actually see silk non dairy hazelnut creamer I buy four because I wont see them again for a month. But there sits three other different things with expired sell by dates cos they are trying to be all things to all people.

What if and maybe since management can go to the trouble of making a CYA statement regarding their disclaimer of liability on the fire wood but cant keep grocery shelves stocked, what if maybe they could just opps sorry forgot to stock fire wood. during burn bans. no cya required.

We the locals dont need a nanny. We are the ones that pay the price when joe clueless assumes since hes buying FIRE wood he can BURN it.

Its in the public interest to at least consider not selling FIRE wood in Burn Ban. If theyre gonna not bother to read up on the regs before they camp and cant buy wood, they are gonna scratch around and burn something. Why make it easy. Ive seen down trees smoldering in a fire ring, both ends laying across it cos they didnt bring a saw or hatchet so they just drug the entire timber over and set it on fire.

And thats all Ive got to say about it.

Post Posted: Jul 1, 2018 3:45 pm 
Active Pinecam Poster
Active Pinecam Poster
Wow
Ok then why don’t king soppers. Safe. Put up a sign. Large one. Fire ban in effect. That just might. And I saw just might help.
Just saying.

Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next