It is currently May 23, 2019 10:59 am 

Do you or someone you know need some help with a project?
Click here to contact the Neighborhood Action Team.

Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Previous topic | Next topic 

Post subject: Did Mountain View chase away our Elk herd?
Post Posted: Sep 14, 2018 7:53 am 
Prolific Pinecam Poster
Prolific Pinecam Poster
It has been a true joy every year watching the large Elk herd over by the old Italian Restaurant across from "Will-O-Wisp". Especially during the fall rut, there was never a time that they weren't there in the fall until Mountain View moved all their "spare" trucks. portable toilets and junk over there. Number one, are they leasing that property from whoever really owns it? Or did they just drop all their extra equipment over there? Number two, it's a huge eyesore as you come south around that corner, number three, the enjoyment of seeing all those Elk there is gone? At one point there was an argument about building more houses down through Will-O-Wisp, but the community agreed that it would mess up the Elk migration through there. Well, what about Mountain View messing up their migration? I wish they would just pull al that crap out of there, and store it all elsewhere!!! Let our Elk come back :hugegrin:

Post subject: Re: Did Mountain View chase away our Elk herd?
Post Posted: Sep 14, 2018 8:36 am 
Active Pinecam Poster
Active Pinecam Poster
Not sure why you think Mountain View is responsible for the disappearance of the elk. Idle equipment would not be a threat to them at all. There was far more activity at that site when it was a resale lot for a few years.

It's my understanding elk migration patterns follow the lead of the senior female elk in the herd, and when she dies the next matron just picks a new route at random. There used to be a herd in the Roland Valley watershed, but they moved on several years ago as well. This is just the course of nature in my opinion.

Great peace have they who love Thy law, and nothing shall offend them... Ps 118:165

Post Posted: Sep 14, 2018 8:43 am 
Prolific Pinecam Poster
Prolific Pinecam Poster
tomcat wrote:
It has been a true joy every year watching the large Elk herd over by the old Italian Restaurant across from "Will-O-Wisp". Especially during the fall rut, there was never a time that they weren't there in the fall until Mountain View moved all their "spare" trucks. portable toilets and junk over there. Number one, are they leasing that property from whoever really owns it? Or did they just drop all their extra equipment over there? Number two, it's a huge eyesore as you come south around that corner, number three, the enjoyment of seeing all those Elk there is gone? At one point there was an argument about building more houses down through Will-O-Wisp, but the community agreed that it would mess up the Elk migration through there. Well, what about Mountain View messing up their migration? I wish they would just pull al that crap out of there, and store it all elsewhere!!! Let our Elk come back :hugegrin:

That property has/had been for sale for years! Why didn't you buy it and let go back to natural habitat, for your and everyone's enjoyment?
You seem to have no problem asking the current owner to do that!

Post Posted: Sep 15, 2018 7:58 am 
Posts Semi-Regularly
Posts Semi-Regularly
mountain view bought it. they own it

Post Posted: Sep 18, 2018 9:51 am 
Prolific Pinecam Poster
Prolific Pinecam Poster
Jeez people! nice.... Umm, I have been watching that herd for atleast 9 years, they have ALWAYS been there BEFORE Mountain View moved in. You did not read my message very well. Like I said, it was a true joy to see them there EVERY year, it obviously was their migration. I have years and years of photos of them there, till they put the blocks in. And yes, if you think moving all that equipment moving in and out doesn't make loud noises on a daily basis, then I suggest going over there and sitting and listening, probably in the AM or PM, OF COURSE their going to stay away! Their hearing is much better than yours and mine. All I can say is it seems a few folks do not "stop to smell the roses" in our beautiful mountains. And I still believe they should have picked a different area to store all their junk! You all must work for them! I was really wanting responses from Will-O-Wisp residence and folks that were enjoying seeing all those Elk every year. Your attitudes tell me, you've never seen them, or were never paying attention to our beautiful nature up here... whatever....

Post Posted: Sep 18, 2018 10:16 am 
Posts Semi-Regularly
Posts Semi-Regularly
It really is an eyesore. Welcome to Park County.

Post Posted: Sep 18, 2018 3:23 pm 
Prolific Pinecam Poster
Prolific Pinecam Poster
I really don't know that "they" own it either. I can bet they're leasing it from the owners. Why not knock down the restaurant and build it into a real storage area, instead of such an eyesore, but it still doesn't help the Elk herd that called it home for atleast the 16 years we've been here. So sad :-(

Post Posted: Sep 18, 2018 4:07 pm 
Posts Semi-Regularly
Posts Semi-Regularly
Pinedweller had the same thing happen where we live in Pine Junction!I gotta agree with what TMJBP said!We haven't had any that use to come up every fall for a good 12years!

Post Posted: Sep 18, 2018 4:49 pm 
Infrequent Pinecam poster
Infrequent Pinecam poster
Why not get rid of will o wisp?

Post Posted: Sep 18, 2018 4:55 pm 
Posts pretty often
Posts pretty often
Quote:
tomcat:I really don't know that "they" own it either. I can bet they're leasing it from the owners.

Just did a quick Park County Assessor search tomcat, that property belongs to Mountain View, closed on it 7/29/2017.

Post Posted: Sep 18, 2018 7:30 pm 
Posts pretty often
Posts pretty often
My question to Tomcat and others is where/how do you want Mountain View to store there stuff without offending someone. Mountain View provides a huge service to us and to slam them like this is just wrong.

I also take exception to the wording of "Our elk herd". That makes it sound like we own the elk. There was a thread on another site that talked about "Our neighborhood deer". These animals do not belong to us. They do what they want to do when they want.

I chuckled about the comment of get rid of Willow Wisp. How much disruption did this complex cost to the wildlife?

Post Posted: Sep 18, 2018 7:56 pm 
Whoa momma! A top Pinecam poster!
Whoa momma! A top Pinecam poster!
smonson wrote:
My question to Tomcat and others is where/how do you want Mountain View to store there stuff without offending someone. Mountain View provides a huge service to us and to slam them like this is just wrong.

I also take exception to the wording of "Our elk herd". That makes it sound like we own the elk. There was a thread on another site that talked about "Our neighborhood deer". These animals do not belong to us. They do what they want to do when they want.

I chuckled about the comment of get rid of Willow Wisp. How much disruption did this complex cost to the wildlife?

It reminds me of when a Highland Ranch person was complaining about housing developments displacing/exterminating Prairie Dogs. And in her case, she displaced antelope too. I really miss my antelope herd @Highlands Ranch. 8)

Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next