It is currently Oct 19, 2019 7:42 pm 

Do you or someone you know need some help with a project?
Click here to contact the Neighborhood Action Team.

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Previous topic | Next topic 

Post subject: Re: Never Forget, "and the flag was still there"
Post Posted: Sep 12, 2019 10:19 am 
Pinecam Hall of Fame poster!
attaboy_howard wrote:
My bona fides: I am a combat veteran of the Korean War. Upon reflection, I agree with Walt Kelly's Pogo: “We have met the enemy and he is us” I'm sure this will raise the ire of some would be patriots. I have thought more deeply about going to a foreign country and killing their people. We were attacked in WWII. So we responded against those who attacked us and their allies. That was self defense. But the people who committed the 9/11 atrocity were Saudis. Our response has been to kiss up to their rulers and their oil. Saudi Arabia was the first country this president visited. But other presidents were complicit too. I don't get it. And I don't understand Americans killing Americans. But I respect your right to waive the flag.

Thank you for your service and your POV. Global affairs are complex creatures and on their face do not always make sense. We are long overdue for course corrections on numerous fronts.

Post Posted: Sep 12, 2019 10:23 am 
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Oh my, Big Time poster!
JMiller wrote:
Rather then? I wave our flag everyday. It went up in earnest after 9/11 and only briefly came down for moves.

The first 9/11 was horrific and I was in NJ at the time and its impact was personal and lasting. I can reflect and raise our flag. I will not forget.

The 9/11 Benghazi attack was not only horrible, it was a travesty. I hold those responsible in seething contempt... and to keep this out of the Study I will say no more then this,

God Bless America, God Bless our first responders and our military. Land of the free because of the brave. :USA:

I agree! :USA:
I don't put out the flag everyday, but often. :USA:
I wish I had proper lighting for it and could leave it up 24/7. :USA:
IMO we should all wave the flag more often. :USA:
So proud to be American :USA:

Have we made mistakes? You betcha and some really bad ones. What people haven't?
But I love our Country all the same :USA:

I give deep thanks to all that serve; military, first responders, those caring for the victims in the afermath, etc. :patriot:

Post Posted: Sep 12, 2019 11:13 am 
Posts pretty often
Posts pretty often
I will never forget. Last family outing before we left New Jersey was to Liberty Park. We had a picnic, took pictures with the Statue of Liberty and the Twin Towers behind us. A few months later, the towers were struck. It shook us to the core. 3 years later my son is off to war fresh out of graduation, tore my heart out. Yesterday, A rocket struck the US Embassy yesterday in Kabul. Will it ever end? I won't forget.

Post Posted: Sep 12, 2019 11:43 am 
If interested PM me and I will send a link to a solar light I got on Amazon specifically to light my flag so I could keep it flying, respectfully 24/7.

I was struggling to get it down appropriately at sunset. Now it continually waves freely and it illuminates my walkway safely and inexpensively.

Post Posted: Sep 13, 2019 7:02 am 
Stratospheric Poster!
Stratospheric Poster!
attaboy_howard wrote:
My bona fides: I am a combat veteran of the Korean War. Upon reflection, I agree with Walt Kelly's Pogo: “We have met the enemy and he is us” I'm sure this will raise the ire of some would be patriots. I have thought more deeply about going to a foreign country and killing their people. We were attacked in WWII. So we responded against those who attacked us and their allies. That was self defense. But the people who committed the 9/11 atrocity were Saudis. Our response has been to kiss up to their rulers and their oil. Saudi Arabia was the first country this president visited. But other presidents were complicit too. I don't get it. And I don't understand Americans killing Americans. But I respect your right to waive the flag.

I'm only gonna comment on the line I bolded:

So, if 19 Canadians get together and go to Afghanistan (or wherever) for terror training, then attack a US city, we should attack Canada? Talk about "I don't get it". Cuz, I don't get it.

There are issues with the Saudis, no doubt. But the Saudi state didn't attack us. And, yes, an argument can be made that some in the Saudi government were complicit. But I've heard that platitude before and it just doesn't make sense. The Afghan government was complicit in training and harboring those responsible for attacking us.

And we didn't go to war over oil. If that's not clear you're not paying attention. We get almost 4 times as much oil from Canada as we do from Saudi Arabia. But if there's one thing on this planet worth going to war over, it's oil. Everything we do and everything we use, requires oil and lots of it. Your life would be pretty miserable without it and without a steady supply of it.

Never forget is right.

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2