It is currently Feb 19, 2018 1:09 pm 

:eat: Looking for a recipe? Find and print it from the Pinecam Cookbook :chef:

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 

Previous topic | Next topic 

Post subject: A Spicy Poblano question
Post Posted: Jul 19, 2016 10:49 am 
Active Pinecam Poster
Active Pinecam Poster
Wondering what I did wrong. I bought 5 Poblanos to use 2 for chili rellenos and 3 for poblano corn zucchini lasagna. I charred all of them on my gas stove burners, removed the charred skin, and took the 3 for the lasagna and stripped out the seeds and ribs and cut them into strips and mixed them with the rest of the ingredients for the lasagna and baked it. It tasted fine; the poblanos were not spicy.

The two for the chili rellenos I carefully opened, removed all the seeds and ribs, but I just trimmed the protruding part of the stem back that went inside the poblano and left the rest of it and outside stem itself intact, so the poblano would be complete looking. I stuffed them with a cheese mixture that wasn't spicy, breaded them in a flour panko mix that I added a touch of cumin to, (but nothing spicy) and air fried them. When they came out, I added a bit of a tomato salsa mixture over the top (that was maybe a medium salsa) and served them up. They were so spicy we could barely eat them, like I'd stuffed them full of serrano peppers with the seeds or something.

We've had poblanos many times; they are generally a very mild pepper. Never have they been so spicy. What did I do wrong?

Thanks for the help.

Post subject: Re: A Spicy Poblano question
Post Posted: Jul 19, 2016 12:52 pm 
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Location: in a state of gratitude (well, I try to be anyway...)
Yes Poblanos are usually mild. But the heat varies, by size, maturity, variety, etc. They can be almost sweet to a 3 alarm fire!

Generally the darker the green (or if they are starting to turn red/brown) they are at the peak of their heat. The bigger ones tend to be hotter (unlike Jalapeno where the bigger ones tend to be more mild).

Most of the heat is in the membrane. If you let the roasted peppers sit for quite awhile before removing the membrane then the heat can easily travel into the rest of the flesh. Or you may have trimmed the membrane less closely and actually left a fair amount of the membrane flesh in the pepper.

Better luck next time

Post Posted: Jul 19, 2016 2:06 pm 
Prolific Pinecam Poster
Prolific Pinecam Poster
I love poblano peppers, but with peppers you never know, maybe they got mixed up at the store?
Anyhow, I'm going out later to pick up some I will let you know if any of them differ in heat.
Sure would love to grow them in my garden. Maybe next year, will have to get a hold of Hermit to see if she grows em.

Post Posted: Jul 19, 2016 2:11 pm 
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Location: in a state of gratitude (well, I try to be anyway...)
Lil' Kenosha Cat Ranch wrote:
Sure would love to grow them in my garden. Maybe next year, will have to get a hold of Hermit to see if she grows em.

She does! The variety she offers are called Biggie Chili. I've grown them several years now, always with great success (in the greenhouse).

Post Posted: Jul 19, 2016 2:50 pm 
Prolific Pinecam Poster
Prolific Pinecam Poster
Oh cool, I'll try to remember for next year, I love her plants, the bobcat mater plant has gone nuts this year, and my peppers are doing good too.
Thank You for the info :)

Post Posted: Jul 19, 2016 3:46 pm 
Active Pinecam Poster
Active Pinecam Poster
>>If you let the roasted peppers sit for quite awhile before removing the membrane then the heat can easily travel into the rest of the flesh.

The poblanos were smaller ones and they were a dark green, but not red or brown. I did let the two poblanos I used for the rellenos sit after roasting in the refrigerator intact until the next day. I then took out the seeds and membranes, stuffed them and cooked them. I took out the seeds and membranes from the ones I used for the lasagna right after I charred and peeled them and then cut them into strips immediately and made the lasagna.

I'll make sure to take the seeds and membranes out right away after roasting next time! Thanks for the help.

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ]