It is currently Feb 18, 2018 1:31 am 

:eat: Looking for a recipe? Find and print it from the Pinecam Cookbook :chef:

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Previous topic | Next topic 

Post subject: Gluten-free grilling recipes
Post Posted: Jul 24, 2016 10:04 am 
Pinecam Hall of Fame poster!
Although I'm not gluten-free - I ran across a nice selection of gluten-free grilling recipes and I immediately thought of Pinecammers! Here is the link:

http://www.myrecipes.com/summer-grillin ... ndwiches-0

Post subject: Re: Gluten-free grilling recipes
Post Posted: Jul 24, 2016 1:39 pm 
Prolific Pinecam Poster
Prolific Pinecam Poster
Any meat is gluten free., so any meat put on the grill will work.I have seen in the supermarket ads stating jam as gluten free, the only way jam is not gluten free it is not actual jam. The best one so far was an ad for organic firewood, I do not know if there was a free range variety.

The concept that the Bill of Rights and other constitutional protections against arbitrary government are inoperant when they become inconvenient or when expediency dictates otherwise is a very dangerous doctrine and if allowed to flourish would destroy the benefit of a written Constitution and undermine the basis of our government. Justice Black

Post Posted: Jul 24, 2016 2:08 pm 
I know nothing about gluten-free - just remembered that plenty of 'cammers need gluten-free ideas.

Post Posted: Jul 24, 2016 3:53 pm 
Several Pinecammers have asked about Gluten Free foods so your link is very handy for them, DaisyLover. The recipes are sans all the rolls and bread normally associated with hamburgers, hot dogs, and sausage. Actually, the recipes look pretty good for us gluten-eating grillers.

Post Posted: Jul 24, 2016 3:55 pm 
TillerBee wrote:
Several Pinecammers have asked about Gluten Free foods so your link is very handy for them, DaisyLover. The recipes are sans all the rolls and bread normally associated with hamburgers, hot dogs, and sausage. Actually, the recipes look pretty good for us gluten-eating grillers.

I thought the same thing TillerBee!

Post Posted: Jul 25, 2016 7:01 am 
Posts pretty often
Posts pretty often
Thank you for posting! It's always nice to get new ideas for GF recipes.

Post Posted: Jul 25, 2016 8:16 am 
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Yes, thanks DL, coming from a person with celiac. I always appreciate new ideas/recipes.

Post Posted: Jul 25, 2016 11:41 am 
Active Pinecam Poster
Active Pinecam Poster
eurotrader wrote:
Any meat is gluten free., so any meat put on the grill will work.I have seen in the supermarket ads stating jam as gluten free, the only way jam is not gluten free it is not actual jam. The best one so far was an ad for organic firewood, I do not know if there was a free range variety.

Sausage and cured meats such as bacon and cold cuts, need to be checked to assure that they are GF if you have celiac. Meat and fish purchased from the meat dept at the grocery store can be rinsed to assure there is no cross contamination from any of the other prepared meats/fish.

Post Posted: Jul 25, 2016 12:00 pm 
So now with all this information - what are the symptoms of celiac disease? How would one know if they are gluten intolerant?

Post Posted: Jul 25, 2016 12:42 pm 
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Celiac is much different than gluten intolerant.

Celiac is an autoimmune disease triggered by gluten. I lived with this my whole life and in January 2010 when I went gluten free it is like night and day, I have never been without pain until I stopped the gluten - well, I do have lots of old age pain, but not that other pain :)

Basically it is a genetic disease and there are 3 tests that can be done
Genetic test will tell is the gene is present, if not, there is no way you can have celiac
Blood test, they check on immune and check on antibodies which could mean a person has celiac, mine showed 97%
Then the last and only real indicator is doing an endoscopy where they take a biopsy of small intestine.

Celiac causes the sili on small intestine to die out, the sili is what takes in nutrition. One lady in our nutritionists session for celiac had no symptoms as mine, mine dealt with my digestive system, but she was anemic and nothing was fixing her until they discovered she had celiac. My brother ended up with it, we are almost certain it came from our mother's genes as she has had these issues her whole life, too. My brother had no symptoms until he started turning jaundice.

I really hate autoimmune diseases because they are such a mystery with nothing really to pinpoint. I am so glad that we figured this out with me, because my life is a lot better.

Post Posted: Jul 25, 2016 12:47 pm 
I, too, have an autoimmune disease that I'm dealing with now with immune suppressant injections - but different than this. I completely understand autoimmune diseases!

Thanks - this explains a LOT!

Post Posted: Jul 25, 2016 4:42 pm 
Active Pinecam Poster
Active Pinecam Poster
Celiac can cause a lot of issues or just very few issues. I know of someone with anemia that can eat a piece of cake every once in a while without any tummy troubles.

I looked like a complete hypochondriac with cracks in the corner of my mouth, constant acne, belly aches galore from the age of 2 hours..., hair loss, low bone density, anemic even as a child, female troubles, clumsy as all get out, spacey, neuropathy, ringing ears, "poor quality cartilage" (arthritis), lots of toilet troubles....nightmares from the tummy pain, eczema, hives for 2 1/2 years, acid reflux, unexplained rashes, muscle weakness (I wondered if I had MS), trouble getting rid of respiratory infections due to IgA deficiency (typical in celiacs). Here's the up side. Low blood pressure, Low bad cholesterol and high good cholesterol are typical in people with celiac.

Getting tested by docs unfamiliar with it will leave you feel like you're running in circles.

The first test you might be given is a blood test most likely based on IgA. It will always come back negative if you're IgA deficient. It needs to be based on IgG if you're IgA deficient.

I know of someone that had an endoscopy which came back negative but then she developed herpetiformis dermatitis - a rash that can only be caused by celiac disease. A biopsy of the rash can determine if you have celiac and you won't have to have an endoscopy.

fun fun fun!

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next