It is currently May 26, 2018 4:19 am 

:eat: Looking for a recipe? Find and print it from the Pinecam Cookbook :chef:

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 

Previous topic | Next topic 

Post subject: Anyone have a high altitude white bread recipe?
Post Posted: Oct 4, 2016 8:24 am 
Posts pretty often
Posts pretty often
I make white bread loaves, but my recipe from Minnesota really struggles at 8500 feet. Does anyone have a good recipe that works well at altitude?

Last edited by Messenbrink on Apr 3, 2017 2:23 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Anyone have a high altitude white bread recipe?
Post Posted: Oct 4, 2016 8:37 am 
Posts Semi-Regularly
Posts Semi-Regularly
I use 1 teaspoon more of yeast. Also the best to use up here is Fleischmann's and not Red Star.

Credit education. Educating people just like me about the Credit laws, and how to repair your credit.

Foreclosure information that could possibly help you.

Post Posted: Oct 4, 2016 3:12 pm 
Prolific Pinecam Poster
Prolific Pinecam Poster
Search CSU cooking. They have all kinds of recipes.

DD

Post Posted: Oct 4, 2016 3:40 pm 
Posts pretty often
Posts pretty often
I go to mountainmamacooks.com when I need some tips for bread making. She has recipes and gives directions to adapt them to your specific altitude.

Post Posted: Oct 4, 2016 5:17 pm 
Pinecam Hall of Fame poster!
rlcarolyn wrote:
I use 1 teaspoon more of yeast.

And I do the opposite, I use less yeast. Our atmospheric pressure is much less that at sea level and bread tends to rise much faster. You may want to try an additional rising with your current recipe.

I also add at least a tablespoon of vital wheat gluten to my flour. Flour up here tends to be dryer than most areas (due to our low humidity) so I either add more liquid or less flour to my bread recipes. Also, I try to keep the dough sticky so there is more moisture when the bread cooks if I'm using bread pans. But if I'm cooking directly on a baking stone, I prefer a dryer dough so the bread rises up, not widthwise.

I also think that breads started with a sour tend to taste better up here, even a short time sour.

I tried this recipe from epicurious, BASIC SOFT WHITE SANDWICH LOAF last weekend (I did not add extra vital wheat gluten to this). My husband really likes soft bread and he said this was the best sandwich bread I ever made. I did the sour for 12 hours and did the rising in a cool room so it would be slower. And I kept the dough very moist, using olive oil on my hands when kneading. I do think the recipe has a lot of butter in it and may try it next time with half. I did put the loaf pans on a baking stone when I cooked the bread.

BTW Messenbrink, you didn't mention whether you use a bread machine or make your bread by hand. I do by hand with no mixer.

Post Posted: Oct 5, 2016 4:01 pm 
Posts pretty often
Posts pretty often
Just a little tidbit of history. My dad was chief chemist for the old Colorado Milling and
Elevator Company (CM&E) in the 30's and early 40's. He was also president of the American Society of Food Chemists. He and his associates at CM&E invented Hungarian High Altitude bread flour which, as the name implies, was designed to alleviate the problems in baking bread at altitude. But even he would admit that Hungarian High Altitude flour was designed for Denver's mile high altitude, not Bailey's approximately twice the altitude of Denver. His expertise would come in handy in answering the present question, but unfortunately he passed away many years ago. Maybe this message belongs in Interesting Facts??

Post Posted: Oct 6, 2016 6:56 am 
Posts pretty often
Posts pretty often
There are a lot of changes that need to be made. I am a pastry chef and can help you if you'd like. I also have some sourdough starter that I just said yesterday, if you'd like some I can get some to you.

Post Posted: Oct 6, 2016 8:11 am 
Cabinguy wrote:
Just a little tidbit of history. My dad was chief chemist for the old Colorado Milling and
Elevator Company (CM&E) in the 30's and early 40's. He was also president of the American Society of Food Chemists. He and his associates at CM&E invented Hungarian High Altitude bread flour which, as the name implies, was designed to alleviate the problems in baking bread at altitude. But even he would admit that Hungarian High Altitude flour was designed for Denver's mile high altitude, not Bailey's approximately twice the altitude of Denver. His expertise would come in handy in answering the present question, but unfortunately he passed away many years ago. Maybe this message belongs in Interesting Facts??

Since the OP is asking for a recipe, this would be the right forum. You can post your "tidbit of history" about flour in the Interesting Facts - it is open for everyone to post.

Post Posted: Oct 17, 2016 6:00 pm 
Whoa momma! A top Pinecam poster!
Whoa momma! A top Pinecam poster!
I tried the Epicurious Soft White Bread recipe that TillerBee suggested and it turned out very well. The rest of my household really liked it. I use less yeast than most recipes call for because bread rises too fast at our altitude and the dough doesn't have a chance to develop flavor.

A recipe that I like is Carl Jensen's White Bread. The author cooks at our altitude so I don't reduce the yeast. It also makes a good sandwich bread.

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ]