It is currently Feb 19, 2018 1:03 pm 

:eat: Looking for a recipe? Find and print it from the Pinecam Cookbook :chef:

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 

Previous topic | Next topic 

Post subject: 11 Food Trends that need to go away from 2016
Post Posted: Jan 5, 2017 2:33 pm 
Pinecam Hall of Fame poster!
Very funny article but something that I tend to agree with - for the most part. :eat:

Here is just a tidbit of it:

Quote:
Cloud bread

I have put this stuff in my own mouth, chewed, and swallowed it. Do you know what it tastes like? Bizarre, spongey baked eggs… like the core of an Egg McMuffin, gone wrong. Do you know what it doesn’t taste like, even a little bit? BREAD.

http://www.myrecipes.com/holidays-and-o ... -ws-010517

Post subject: Re: 11 Food Trends that need to go away from 2016
Post Posted: Jan 5, 2017 2:47 pm 
Great link! Here's the one I liked bestest:

Quote:
11. Asking, “But wait, could you make that with cauliflower?”

Eight times out of ten the answer is “no,” and 2016 didn’t seem to understand that. Just because your cauliflower “pizza crust” didn’t literally explode in the oven does not mean that it “worked.” I love cauliflower and I would agree that it’s incredibly versatile, but I’m starting to think that maybe everyone wouldn’t have felt quite as tragically disappointed and jaded by how 2016 shaped up as a year if we hadn’t put so much of our faith in cauliflower to be everything we needed.

I like caultaters as much as anyone but really, cauliflower pizza crust, cauliflower hash browns, cauliflower tots, cauliflower tottillas, cauliflower fried rice, etc just don't make it for me. I thought it was just me thinking "not everything can be made out of cauliflower".

Post Posted: Jan 5, 2017 2:50 pm 
Whoa momma! A top Pinecam poster!
Whoa momma! A top Pinecam poster!
TillerBee wrote:
Great link! Here's the one I liked bestest:

Quote:
11. Asking, “But wait, could you make that with cauliflower?”

Eight times out of ten the answer is “no,” and 2016 didn’t seem to understand that. Just because your cauliflower “pizza crust” didn’t literally explode in the oven does not mean that it “worked.” I love cauliflower and I would agree that it’s incredibly versatile, but I’m starting to think that maybe everyone wouldn’t have felt quite as tragically disappointed and jaded by how 2016 shaped up as a year if we hadn’t put so much of our faith in cauliflower to be everything we needed.

I like caultaters as much as anyone but really, cauliflower pizza crust, cauliflower hash browns, cauliflower tots, cauliflower tottillas, cauliflower fried rice, etc just don't make it for me. I thought it was just me thinking "not everything can be made out of cauliflower".

I tried replacing the potato in Clam Chowder with cauliflower. It was good and easier to make at high altitudes, but a different dish.

Post Posted: Jan 5, 2017 4:11 pm 
I think that was the point of the article's number 11. While the results may be just fine, calling the food made with cauliflower as if it were say, made with potatoes, is just not the same dish.

Post Posted: Jan 5, 2017 5:48 pm 
Stratospheric Poster!
Stratospheric Poster!
Most people do these things because they have to abide by the latest fad. However, we truly appreciate much of this. I can't eat anything with flour, sugar, potatoes, rice or beans. Why? Any of these things will give me such a violent migraine the only way to treat them is with sumatriptan injections and two to three days of bed rest. Fads have helped us form great substitution recipes.

Post Posted: Jan 5, 2017 7:30 pm 
Active Pinecam Poster
Active Pinecam Poster
"not everything can be made out of cauliflower". I totally agree. It's such a hassle, it's not worth it. I think the easiest thing to do with cauliflower is to get it frozen in bag, add it to the blender along with two peeled zucchini, and a little water. Blend it until it's roughly the consistency of mashed potatoes and then add some to the pizza sauce instead of using it for crust. Or replace some of your mashed potatoes with it without having to deal with making cauliflower rice potatoes. Then to make up for the tortillas, add it to the bean or meat mixture you put inside them. Or add to the chili or soup or barbecue sauce. Mix a small amount into a cornbread; it amazing what it can go into and disappear! You can also use sweet peppers to make little handheld pizzas (they don't look the part of a real pizza, but they sure don't have crust that falls apart and tastes like cardboard!)

Post Posted: Jan 6, 2017 7:15 am 
Stratospheric Poster!
Stratospheric Poster!
Cauliflower is an awesome substitute but it's not the only option. We found a recipe for pizza dough that uses almond meal, cream cheese, mozzarella and eggs. It holds up to toppings and tastes amazing. We also make "voodles" with zucchini and yellow squash instead of pasta. There are lots of options out there and, frankly, after a few months you stop craving carbs. Within a year or less, things like bread and baked goods smell bad and taste worse.

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ]