It is currently Nov 20, 2018 4:30 pm 

:eat: Looking for a recipe? Find and print it from the Pinecam Cookbook :chef:

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 

Previous topic | Next topic 

Post subject: Sweet Potato Toast?
Post Posted: Jan 15, 2017 7:48 pm 
Active Pinecam Poster
Active Pinecam Poster
Maybe I am behind the times, but I never heard of it before seeing it on a cooking show today. Sweet potatoes, sliced 1/4" thin, popped in the toaster and then spread with avocado, egg, bacon or smoked salmon. There is also a sweet version, using things like almond butter etc. Many varieties can be created.

The show chef microwaved his pieces 3 minutes, flipping halfway through and then put his in the toaster. I didn't read about anybody else on the internet microwaving the pieces first, but at the length of time it takes sweet potatoes to cook, that seemed a logical step. I read that it takes several cycles of "toasting" to get them to cook and there were a few complaints about that time period (none of these people spoke of microwaving them first). That time and hassle didn't sound so appealing to me, (not to mention the idea of putting sweet potatoes in the toaster! :bash:,) so I took the smallest sweet potato I had to test this, cut it into 1/4" slices, pricked the slices with a fork like the chef did and microwaved them. Then I took the slices, spread just a tiny bit of coconut oil on them, a bit of salt and pepper and put them in my inexpensive little air fryer for 10 minutes, flipping halfway through. They "toasted" up fairly nicely, were cooked through and I spread them with guacamole and added a few things like tomato and bacon just to see. You can hold them just like a piece of toast. It was different, but it really was pretty good. A toaster oven seemed like the next most reasonable option.

Post subject: Re: Sweet Potato Toast?
Post Posted: Jan 15, 2017 9:51 pm 
Prolific Pinecam Poster
Prolific Pinecam Poster
I saw this Food show this weekend as well and was intrigued. Thanks for trying it and confirming it worked...I was fairly skeptical. :)

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ]