It is currently Oct 15, 2018 11:28 am 

:eat: Looking for a recipe? Find and print it from the Pinecam Cookbook :chef:

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 

Previous topic | Next topic 

Post subject: Air Friers
Post Posted: Jan 14, 2018 11:30 am 
Posts pretty often
Posts pretty often
We are considering buying an air fryer. Has anyone out there had any experience with one? Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Air Friers
Post Posted: Jan 14, 2018 11:42 am 
Posts Semi-Regularly
Posts Semi-Regularly
Thank you for the question. I sure hope you get an answer. I would love to know as well. We tried the copper pan at Sams that was "supposed" to be like frying. It was worse than just baking! We took it back, and have been so curious about the air fryer.

"Learn from yesterday - Live for today - Hope for tomorrow"

Post Posted: Jan 14, 2018 12:07 pm 
Stratospheric Poster!
Stratospheric Poster!
Interesting question. I just got off the phone with our youngest daughter
who got one for Christmas. She just bubbled positive for 10 minutes about
how amazing it was and how much she and her family love it. She has done
steak (sirloin and New York strip) and says she will never grill a steak again!
Imagine. This girl grills and smokes meats every week, year around.
She has fixed shrimp and other things and has nothing but amazing things
to say about the process. I asked if it browns and gives "crispy bits" and
she said that was the best thing about it.
She's a great cook, so I'm sure she knows what she is talking about. I'm pretty
conventional and old-fashioned in the kitchen, but it sounds pretty interesting.
A year from next summer when they start turning up at garage sales, I'll have to
take a look. :O)
Mrs. BGR

Post Posted: Jan 14, 2018 12:30 pm 
Infrequent Pinecam poster
BeerGodROX

There are lots of brands. Did she say which one she has?

Post Posted: Jan 14, 2018 1:07 pm 
Stratospheric Poster!
Stratospheric Poster!
It's a Power Air Fryer, purchased at Walmart.
Mrs. BGR

Post Posted: Jan 14, 2018 1:44 pm 
Posts Semi-Regularly
Posts Semi-Regularly
I bought myself a Phillips Avance Airfryer for Christmas. It had great reviews. Since "fryer" was a major part of the name, I figured I could make fish and chips, crispy chicken wings, french fries, etc., with minimal oil. F-R-I-E-D. Not. It is more of a hot-air baker. Battered cod was horrible. Fries were underdone, or overdone (tried numerous times, no luck on delicious; was barely edible). Wings had soggy-type skin. I tried those numerous times, too. Googled recipes and techniques, none worked. Very smokey. I make MUCH better wings and fries in my regular oven. For fish and chips we will go to GB Fish and Chips and just get the real thing. I was very disappointed in this "air-fryer". My sister has used another brand, and she hated it. Didn't replicate fried anything. Again, more of a small baker appliance. Mine is going back to Williams Sonoma. Too bad.

Post Posted: Jan 14, 2018 1:55 pm 
We have a Power Air Fryer XL love it.

Post Posted: Jan 14, 2018 2:09 pm 
I got a Bella at Kohl's last year & think its great, my particular likes are unbreaded fish & frozen onion rings. I'm actually thinking of getting a bigger one with racks as there has to be room for the hot air to circulate between pieces.

Post Posted: Jan 14, 2018 8:05 pm 
Active Pinecam Poster
Active Pinecam Poster
I have two of them, one that is a smaller one that is by Della or something like that that I got new and one I picked up at a thrift store, but it was new and I think that one is a Power Air Fryer XL. I like them, but they have their place and there is a learning curve. The Della I use only at maximum temp and it takes way longer then the books say to cook anything, especially at high altitude. The bigger one can cook at a lower temperatures some, but I use the higher ones and it has more bells and whistles and has presets for certain things the Della doesn't. I think the air fryers that can go to a higher temp work better and think the bells and whistles aren't necessary.

What I do for potatoes or sweet potatoes is precook them in my little electric pressure cooker in chunks (because it takes 3-4 minutes) and freeze them. When we want them, I add a little olive oil and spices to the bag or bowl and mix them and throw them in the air fryer for about 15-18 minutes at a high temp. If you are expecting nice super crisp potatoes, I would say you might be disappointed. If you want something like roasted potatoes with a little crisp on the outside and soft in the center, it works well. Tube polenta cut up in chunks also works very well and sweet potatoes work this way. You do need to make sure you pull the basket out and flip them around every 10 minutes or so, so they cook evenly. Hasselback potatoes work too, but again, I precook them. You really don't need much oil at all and too much turns crisp into soggy.

Marinated steak works very well in an air fryer and I think chicken would too, but it has to be cooked at high temperatures- I pressure cook my chicken and then put it under the broiler-I don't think the air fryer works as well as that or as quickly.

Batters that can be blown off by the force of air don't work well in air fryer. Store bought frozen batter foods seem to work better, but I don't use them. Panko breadcrumbs seem to work better, but battering something with them and then freezing them or at least refrigerating them first works better then just battering and right to the air fryer. Spraying them with a bit of cooking spray can help. I've air fried slices of avocado wrapped in bacon and dipped in Panko and sprayed with cooking spray and it worked okay.

Post Posted: Jan 15, 2018 8:41 am 
Whoa momma! A top Pinecam poster!
I've got the Della XL 5.8 QT, 1800 watts and I love it. The larger capacity and higher wattage really make a difference. I also picked that one because it has mechanical knobs instead of push buttons and digital readouts (same as all my kitchen appliances.) I use it for taquitos and hash browns...pretty much anything that comes out of the freezer. But I still use my Presto Profry deep fryer for wings and beer battered fish.

A good friend recently got the Cuisinart air fryer toaster oven and she RAVES about it. She cooks everything in it...steaks, pizzas, fish & chips...you name it. She plans her family meals around it now because it's so quick and easy. Breville makes one too, but same specs and twice the price. I'd get one, but they don't have a rotisserie option yet, and I can't live without toaster oven rotisserie cornish game hens. :)

Post Posted: Jan 15, 2018 9:20 am 
Posts pretty often
Posts pretty often
I wanted one really bad. Got on Amazon and realized there are a gazillion of them! Was intimidated with the different sizes and wattages. There are only two of us so I knew I didn't need an 8 qt.. there are a lot of familiar Big Name Brands that can lure you in. In the above posts, there are a few "you can't make" statements, but you can, with the right prep and tools, and yes patience, lol. So, I recieved the small 2.5 qt Black & Decker AF for Xmas. Love love love it. Not fancy, not a bunch of buttons, no extra pans. The wings were wonderful! Frozen pork loin roast and potatoes done in less than an hour! There is an Air Fryer group on FB, also several web sites I go to for tips and recipes. If anyone is interested, I can share the sites. Reading some of the info may help you decide if, or which AF to get. If you are looking for that familiar DEEP fried greasy finger outcome, then no, not happening. Love mine.

Post Posted: Jan 15, 2018 11:04 am 
I got one two years ago, to make the husband’s famous fried chicken without using all that oil. It takes a lot of experimentation up here, like many other things. I got the Healthy Fry, and the chicken turned out great. Fried fish and calamari, I tend to pre fry it in the air fryer and then shallow fry in a little oil to get it crisp. Battered fried zucchini in the air fryer is delicious. I must say I don’t use it as much as I thought, though. So I would get an inexpensive one and try it out. Yes, the websites and online books are helpful, but given our elevation you will need to fiddle a bit.

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ]