It is currently Nov 19, 2018 10:28 am 

:eat: Looking for a recipe? Find and print it from the Pinecam Cookbook :chef:

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 

Previous topic | Next topic 

Post subject: A little coaching on cooking pork
Post Posted: Jul 29, 2018 8:50 am 
Active Pinecam Poster
Active Pinecam Poster
I made a pressure cooker "zippy peach pork" recipe I found on the internet, in my 2 quart electric pressure cooker. I used a 1.70lb pork loin sirloin boneless roast. I cut it half, seared it in a cast iron skillet, put the sauce ingredients in and cooked it for 45 minutes. The original recipe was for an insta pot and called to cook the pork for 90 minutes, but that just seemed too long for such a small piece of meat. My little pressure cooker doesn't cook as hot or build as much pressure as full size pressure cookers. The sauce was really good, but the pork was a little dry, so I'm disappointed. (I usually cook a 4lb pork loin roast in my 6qt pressure cooker for 90 minutes and it comes out fine for pulled pork).

Did I cook it too long, or too little? Can I fix it and if so, how? Thanks for any guidance.

Post subject: Re: A little coaching on cooking pork
Post Posted: Jul 29, 2018 9:26 am 
Pinecam Hall of Fame poster!
Oh my krm - I don't have any Insta Pots or Pressure Cookers. I always cook pork roasts low and slow - like all day on a gas stove on the simmer burner or the crockpot for 8 - 10 hours. I wish I could help and as you probably guessed, I would suggest putting it in a slow cooker for 4-6 hours on low with a small amount of liquid or maybe even some of your peach sauce.

I'm sure it can be "fixed" somehow and it sounds absolutely delicious - good luck!!!

Post Posted: Jul 29, 2018 11:06 am 
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Location: in a state of gratitude (well, I try to be anyway...)
krm18 wrote:
Did I cook it too long, or too little? Can I fix it and if so, how? Thanks for any guidance.

I have never cooked a roast in a pressure cooker so I don't know if too long or too short. But I suspect too long as that's a tiny roast.

A pressure cooker raises the cooking temperature. Generally this is not a good thing for a roast. Low & slow is the general rule.

I'd be tempted to shred it (or cube it) and let it marinade in the sauce for a day (or so) and then reheat it on the stove top.

Good luck

Post Posted: Jul 29, 2018 11:09 am 
Hmm, I have the opposite take from CooknThyme on this which is unusual.

Since you cut the time in half (45 minutes versus 90 in your regular pressure cooker), this may be why your pork was not as tender as usual. Even though the amount of meat was small (1.7 lb versus 4 lb in your regular pressure cooker), I would think it still needed the full 90 minutes.

In my experience, a pressure cooker does not depend on the amount of food in it just timing from full pressure. The more food, the longer to come up to temperature and pressure but the actual cooking time is calculated when the pressure is reached, not the total time. So your small cooker probably came up to pressure/temperature quickly but still needed the full 90 minutes.

I do cook roasts in my pressure cooker, even ham. If timed correctly, they all come out tender. Not nice and brown like an oven cooked roast but still flavorful.

Post Posted: Jul 29, 2018 11:29 am 
Thinking about this a bit more, the smaller roast could be cooked at pressure maybe 10 minutes less than the bigger roast. i.e. 80 minutes.

When canning, a pint jar takes only 10 or 15 minutes less than a quart jar for longer processing times. The pint (of course :)) is smaller and the internal temperature is reached quicker. But, the time is not half, just maybe 10% to 20% less.

Post Posted: Jul 29, 2018 1:07 pm 
Active Pinecam Poster
Active Pinecam Poster
While not part of the Instapot craze, I have used my less fully featured electric pressure cookers for years and like TillerBee, all the bigger cuts of meats go in the full sized one. A 4lb pork loin generally takes 90 min, with an additional 11 minutes to build pressure. Its falling apart and not dry. My 2 qt might take 2 minutes to build pressure and start cooking (probably why I use it practically everyday!), but while I cook chicken pieces in it often, I don't often cook pulled pork in it because the cuts are too big. I think the bigger pressure cooker is rated at 15psi and the small one is only rated at about 9psi, but both those ratings are at sea level, so I don't get that up here and I usually have to cook things longer then recipes call for anyway.

After thinking that half the size roast would require 1/2 the time plus a little (think I set it for 50 minutes) and the pork coming out a little dry, my initial thoughts were that I didn't cook it long enough. I thought I'd try just shredding the remainder and putting it in some chicken broth or water and cooking it for about 25 minutes more in the small cooker and see if it made any difference. I figured it would either work or I'd use it as a learning experience of what not to do and go back to using my bigger pressure cooker for pork. :bash: But I still wasn't sure if I just flat cooked it too long in the first place and wasn't sure if I wanted to chance it ruining what is a still a relatively good piece of meat and a couple more dinners for us.

Post Posted: Jul 31, 2018 2:41 pm 
Active Pinecam Poster
Active Pinecam Poster
Update: Finally re-cooked the pork in my little pressure cooker in some vegetable stock and water for 25 min. It came out way better, with most of the dryness gone. Lesson learned- smaller cut doesn't necessarily mean less time.

Post Posted: Jul 31, 2018 2:51 pm 
Thanks for letting us know the outcome of your experiment.

Post Posted: Aug 1, 2018 12:54 pm 
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Interesting post. I use an old Presto small pressure cooker on the stovetop and would do a small pork roast at about 45 to 50 minutes after achieving 15psi. It is probable that with the lower pressure you do need to cook it longer. Also, pork loin is a lean cut and will dry out more easily even in a conventional oven. I'd be inclined to add a little fat into the meat, but that's just me :-)

Post Posted: Aug 2, 2018 11:14 am 
Active Pinecam Poster
Active Pinecam Poster
Interesting. I think I will I will try a small 2lb pork roast in my bigger pressure cooker with the higher pressure at some point. I'll check it at around 50 min and see. I can't tell what pressure I get on the electric cookers; I can only go by what the manual states I should be getting and then cooking 10-20% longer because of the high altitude.

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ]