It is currently Sep 21, 2019 3:54 am 

:eat: Looking for a recipe? Find and print it from the Pinecam Cookbook :chef:

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 

Previous topic | Next topic 

Post subject: Healthy meal ides
Post Posted: Dec 9, 2018 12:05 pm 
Posts Semi-Regularly
Posts Semi-Regularly
My husband had a heart attack a month ago high cholesterol. And diabetic I am hoping someone can share some tasty Meal ideas with me thank you in advance Vanessa

Post subject: Re: Healthy meal ides
Post Posted: Dec 9, 2018 12:25 pm 
Posts pretty often
Posts pretty often
InstantPot and Mealthy pot are 2 appliances I can suggest for easy and healthy meal making. These are all-in-one pressure cookers which greatly reduce the time needed to thoroughly cook food (of all types). Ever try cooking a potatoe up here? Or boiling pinto beans? Takes forever... these easy to use pressure cookers include steamer baskets and other extras too.

https://www.amazon.com/Mealthy-MultiPot ... B076QJNK8G

There are also newer models that can air fry in addition to everything else.

The Mealthy can cook an entire chicken in less than an hour in my experience. Cheap, healthy, fast, and easy. Beans and rice cooks perfect and quick. Steaming veggies in the steamer basket while cooking ribs or stew in the bottom pot can allow you to put together a meal using just this 1 device.

If you or your husband need any help around the house or yard please post and let us know because this community can be very helpful.

Post Posted: Dec 9, 2018 1:01 pm 
Pinecam Hall of Fame poster!
Pinecam Hall of Fame poster!
I recently did an internet search/study on how to lower my clolesterol via my diet.

From the Mayo Clinic - Cholesterol: Top foods to improve your numbers

I found oatmeal to be one of the best foods to add to my diet.

How Oatmeal Lowers Cholesterol for Heart Health

Quote:
It is thought that the oat fibers in the oatmeal mix with cholesterol in the small intestine, then bind to the cholesterol molecules and carry it out of the body instead of it being absorbed into the blood.

It seems oatmeal bran is "sticky" to clolesterol and is one of the best foods to add, even oatmeal cookies. :wiggle: You can buy oat bran at places like National Grocers by Safeway and add it to things you are cooking like breads, muffins, etc. in place of some of the flour.

I started using virgin olive oil in place of butter on things like garlic bread. It tastes just as good to me as butter. Using a salad dressing of virgin olive oil, Balsamic vinegar, and herbs is great on a salad instead of bottled salad dressings.

My husband also found Taurine to be very effective for the heart. You can do an internet search on Taurine to find out all it's benefits. Wikipedia has a good article on Taurine. He bought ours from Amazon.

I hope your husband's health improves! Eating right for his heart and diabetes will certainly help and is one major way for you to do "something" for him.

Post Posted: Dec 9, 2018 11:51 pm 
Active Pinecam Poster
Active Pinecam Poster
I second the use of an electric pressure cooker. Been using them for years. I cook sweet potato or butternut squash chunks in 4 minutes and freeze them. Quinoa cooks in 5-8. Chicken thighs or breasts in 8-10. Beans in 20. Hard boiled eggs in 4. Freeze all but the last in reasonable portion sizes.

Try slicing and freezing sweet peppers. They cook much faster. Create your own breakfast bowls by sautéing the peppers, wilting baby spinach and/or baby kale, adding quinoa, beans or chickpeas, tomatoes or other veggies you like. Add avocado and a little amount of meat or chicken or veggie meat. Top it with a soft or hard boiled egg. Play around with the seasonings for the bowls; adding Chilula, green Tabasco, sciracha, salsa, lime, lemon etc give quite a variety with the same general base. I often use my little bits of leftovers in these bowls.

Post Posted: Dec 10, 2018 5:48 am 
Posts Semi-Regularly
Posts Semi-Regularly
I love pinecamers to take the time to respond to my pleas is heartwarming . I have already learned so much from you thank you for the help. Vanessa

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ]