It is currently Oct 24, 2017 1:52 am 

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 

Previous topic | Next topic 

Post subject: Advice needed on moving a shop
Post Posted: Mar 20, 2017 7:20 pm 
Whoa momma! A top Pinecam poster!
For those of you who are woodworkers and have moved your shop a good distance, I would love to have your advice.

My late husband built the most extraordinary wood shop over the almost 25 years that we have lived up here. You might imagine that it takes up our entire garage. Now that he is gone, we want to keep the shop in the family. One of his daughters and her son (the first grandkid) would like many pieces, so they need to be crated and shipped to NJ.

Daughter and I have been thinking about getting one of those "pods," so that when the items get moved to NJ she and her son can go through them at their leisure. Have any of you moved your shop with this method and if so, I'd love to hear about your experiences. Good and not good.

I've started to call around to metro area pod rental companies as well as freight movers. It seems most of them don't have folks who can pack the unit. The expectation is that you pack it yourself and load it, I am not physically well enough to do the packing, and many pieces will need to be crated. Example: table saw, jointer planer, drill press, band saw, and an enormous quantity of hand tools. Plus we have 300 board feet of fine cherry that will be making the trip. Plus plus, there are many items that I would like to keep, and stuff in the garage that is garage stuff and needs to stay.

If you've had to do this type and magnitude of move, I would be eternally grateful for your feedback.

Post subject: Re: Advice needed on moving a shop
Post Posted: Mar 20, 2017 8:00 pm 
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Well, we didn't move a shop, but we moved. We used the U-Haul "U-Boxes"...pretty much the same as PODS. Never, ever, never again.

The companies nickel and dime you to death. They charge to deliver and pick up the boxes/pods. U-Haul charges daily rental on the trailers used to deliver the pods. The U-Boxes are delivered to the packing location and the delivery location on a trailer. They are transported from city to city on a semi. They say you get 30 days storage at the destination location with the U-Boxes...but the clock starts running the day it's delivered to your home for packing. Then it's $135 (give or take...I've forgotten the exact amount) month, no pro-rated amount for a partial month. Then you have to pay to have the trailers deliver the boxes again and you pay the trailer rental again. So, unless you (or they) want to spend a lot of money, there will be no going thru the boxes at a leisurely pace. You need to get them unloaded and returned ASAP or pay the price.

There are no tie-down locations in the U-Boxes, either. You'll have to pack them in a way that the contents don't shift.

PODS are about the same...they just charge more up front. I don't know about their fees, though.

I've made it a mission in my life to discourage anyone from using U-Haul. Worst moving experience in the history of moving.

You might look at buying an enclosed trailer large enough to move the items you want moved. There are people you can hire to deliver the loaded trailer from point A to B. Seriously...a decent sized trailer is pretty inexpensive and it'll be cheaper than U-Boxes. Plus you'll have a trailer you can keep or sell. I bought an 8x16 trailer new in May 2014 and paid about $4400 for it. I used it to make 3 trips from CO to ID. Last fall I sold it for $4100.

Whatever you do, good luck.

Post Posted: Mar 20, 2017 8:44 pm 
Infrequent Pinecam poster
Infrequent Pinecam poster
I have had to move a multitude of things, but not to the extent or distance you are needing.

I would look at the website: http://www.uship.com. You can get free quotes based on the contents, and describe the help you'll need. I would use their "Other" category and describe the items as accurate as possible. There are a lot of shippers that can help with loading, and possibly packing/crating.

The shippers are certified and are insured, and most if not all are trackable and can be contacted directly. You are under no obligation to accept a bid.

Just an idea because of the items and distance.

Also, a moving company may be able to assist in the packing of a pod. Although I have never used one, I haven't heard many good things about them, especially for transporting. I would suggest BaileyGuns idea of buying a trailer, before using a pod.

Hope this helps.

Best of luck!

Post Posted: Mar 20, 2017 9:18 pm 
Active Pinecam Poster
Active Pinecam Poster
A plane ticket or train ride from NJ and a U-Haul back is probably the best bet. Not only do you get to decide what you want to take back, and what can be sold. but you get to visit and see how things were set up! Your children get to pack things up properly and the family time is priceless! on top of that cost will be comparable.

I used U-haul in the generic term, shop around for the best one way rental truck you can find!

Post Posted: Mar 20, 2017 9:29 pm 
Prolific Pinecam Poster
Prolific Pinecam Poster
I have moved a store but that was local. For work we have used one of those POD company - they are headquartered in Florida but we used them in Evergreen at a clients. I don't know who loaded but call and talk to them. 1-800-776-7637. I do agree with Scalawagy's comment on getting them out here to look at what you have. This could in the end save you a lot of money by only moving what they want. We moved a lot of my mother's things when she passed away, including a baby grand piano, and from White Plains, NY with a stop in Colorado and then on to California I think it was at least $5,000 and that was in 1997. You have to be careful with movers - I have heard some horror stories. Good luck and let me know if I can help.

Post Posted: Mar 21, 2017 6:04 am 
Posts Semi-Regularly
Posts Semi-Regularly
You might try Mayflower moving co. I know some folks who used them to move (and pack) a large home in Pine to Oregon. They toured the house first, and gave a bid.

Post Posted: Mar 21, 2017 6:07 am 
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Check uship.com
People bid on your job.

Post Posted: Mar 21, 2017 9:15 am 
Thanks, BaileyGuns and PineGirl. And to others who posted that the pod companies can charge a lot more than originally advertised.

I'm intrigued with the trailer idea, and I have also read that Mayflower and United have pod services and can help with packing. So, today we'll burn up the phone lines.

We do need to have the items crated and tied down in the trailer so they won't move around. I would be hesitant trying to load a trailer safely. Hence the need for help, I'm also disabled so of limited use. Daughter and grandson are not able to come out to pack and load, plus I am sure they know as much as I do about loading a truck. I've also videoed the shop so they know the general idea of what's in there.

Finally, none of this stuff will be sold. I made that mistake when rehoming my Dad' s photography studio. I called most of the large camera stores and got several comparable bids. The equipment was conservatively valued at $50,000. I ended up clearing 10 percent of that amount. So that was a lesson learned. Never to do again :)

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ]