It is currently Jun 19, 2018 5:39 pm 

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 

Previous topic | Next topic 

Post subject: Need info and opinions on GoPro "style" cameras.
Post Posted: Jun 11, 2018 10:12 pm 
Stratospheric Poster!
Stratospheric Poster!
Most of you know that I am seriously into photography.

I have decided to investigate "GoPro style" cameras for use while riding my ATV.
I would like to do decent video + sound while chasing my grandson through the forest roads.

I have looked at a number of these cameras that can be mounted on a head or chest mount.
Waterproof would be nice.
Also - "looping" would be a nice feature should I decide to use it in a car on the road.

GoPro has lots of features including a quite high price.
Many other brands are sold for a lot less and still have features.

I would love to hear from pinecammers who have had experience with any brands.
Your "likes" as well as your less than good experiences would be appreciated.

Thanks,
BGR

Please post here or PM me with contact info so we can chat.

Post subject: Re: Need info and opinions on GoPro "style" cameras.
Post Posted: Jun 12, 2018 5:08 am 
Infrequent Pinecam poster
Infrequent Pinecam poster
I have a Go Pro and use it for ATV, Skiing, Kayaking, etc. The biggest downfall for me of the GoPro is the battery life in the cold weather.I usually take 3-4 batteries when I go skiing. And I use most of them always. In the warmer weather/summer the battery works normal though.

Most fun wins!!!!!

Post Posted: Jun 12, 2018 6:54 am 
Stratospheric Poster!
Stratospheric Poster!
I have two GoPro cameras. I won't go into the specs because I'm sure if you're looking you know them as well as I do. The first is an older Hero3 Black. Typical of most GoPros, video was really good but the sound is mediocre at best. It wasn't very intuitive to learn to use it.

The other is a Hero6 Black that came with my Karma drone. It's much easier to use and the video quality is pretty incredible...at least to me. Sound is much easier and it's easier to use because I either control it with the drone controller or I mount it with the stabilizer on the Karma grip. I can run around and chase the dogs and get super-smooth video. I think the Karma grip is pretty fantastic and probably the most useful piece of gear that came with the drone. The built-in Wi-Fi and GPS are nice features and it's easy to transfer quick videos over to your phone to share. I'm really pleased with the Hero6 and highly recommend it. It's not the cheapest at $400-ish...but it's got a ton of accessories available and will most likely do anything you want and more.

Having said all that, I haven't tried any of the other offerings so there could be something better at a lesser price. I've used a few of the accessories with my GoPro cameras and love the variety of mounts and attachments that you can get. They come in handy for other things, too. I have used the plastic waterproof case for taking underwater video with the Hero3 and it works quite well. The Hero6 is waterproof to 33' so you don't need the extra case.

I haven't noticed an issue with the battery life like deerwhistle mentioned...but I haven't used it extensively in the cold, either.

Oh, yeah...one of the other things I like about the Hero6 is the 2" touchscreen. It's not so small that it's difficult for me to see like some other cameras.

Obviously I'm a photography rookie and not in your ability class so I'm sure you'll find uses and capabilities that are beyond my skill level. But I have fun. Another thought...the Hero5 black is $150 less than the 6 and still offers a pretty capable, 4k camera.

Post Posted: Jun 13, 2018 9:08 pm 
Stratospheric Poster!
Stratospheric Poster!
Thanks, Bailey Guns!

As I know you so well, I know that you do nothing without cultivating your great intuition and thorough study.
Your comments are greatly appreciated.

I still invite any other 'cammers to chip in with their experiences.
Typically, I study everything available before I make my move.

BGR/Mike

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ]