It is currently Jan 21, 2017 10:30 am 

Reply to topic  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Previous topic | Next topic 

Post subject: DEFENSIVE FIREARMS TRAINING - JUNE 20-22 , 2017
Post Posted: Dec 8, 2012 11:27 am 
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Oh my, Big Time poster!
I'm posting this early so that any of you who might like to attend still have a chance to adjust your June, 2017, calendar.

(THIS POST IS UPDATED AS OF December 31 2016. PLEASE READ ALL SUBSEQUENT POSTS BY ME FOR FULLEST INFORMATION!)

For my 24nd year in a row, I will be facilitating and assisting instruction in an intensive three gun (pistol/rifle/shotgun) defensive firearms training class.
Class size is limited to about 16 "civilians" and is likely to have up to eight Park County Sheriff's Office (PCSO) Deputies.

I am a Certified Defensive Firearms Instructor affiliated with Defense Training International, Inc.
http://defense-training.com/
This three day course will cost $700 - or $675 if you register on-line at the DTI web site.

The class will start each day at 9 a.m.
There will be breaks for meals.
On Wednesday we will be shooting in the darkness of the evening until around 10 p.m.
Night shooting is included in this course - primarily to illustrate how difficult it is to do.
You will need a BRIGHT flashlight.
What are the chances that your first "situation" will be in the dark?

The course will be constructed as approximately 50% Pistol, 35% Urban Rifle, and 15% Shotgun.
Students will need a minimum of 400 rounds of handgun ammunition, 300 rounds rifle, and 30 rounds for shotgun (25 buckshot any size/5 slugs any brand).
The shotgun portion is optional but I will bring a loaner shotgun if you do not already have one.
Standard safety equipment (ball cap, safety glasses, hearing protection) will be required.

This course is well in excess of what you need for a Concealed Carry permit - but if you carry or own a gun for protection, this class is essential!

The deadline for setting the class roster will be May 31, 2017.
PM me with your email and I will give you all information available on the course.
If you include your phone number, I will be glad to discuss the course with you in detail.

I get NONE of the course fee for this class.
Why is that?
I have been facilitating and instructing all of this time because the PCSO Deputies get this training for FREE from Defense Training International!
My interest is in seeing that they get the best "state of the art" training available at the lowest cost to Park County.
"Civilians" attending will learn more than they ever imagined about the techniques and responsibilities involved in serious personal defense.

Here is a "taste" of our course in 2010 as written up in S.W.A.T. Magazine issue of April, 2011. The writer attended the full course.
This young man in the photo with the large muzzle flash is a graduate of Evergreen High School and enlisted in the USMC a few months after the course.

This shows John and Vicki Farnam, internationally recognized among the very TOP of all firearms trainers in America.
They will running the program in Fairplay as they have for more than 26 years.

This course is for any person who has basic familiarity with firearms - both marksmanship and safety.
You will be integrated with more experienced shooters as your skills progress.

This is a fairly hard and VERY serious defensive shooting class that will finish as the most fun you have likely ever had while learning to defend yourself and family members.

If you have problems reading the SWAT Magazine article in the photos here, try their web site at: http://www.swatmag.com/ and look for the April, 2011, issue. You can page through it . The article starts on page 76.

Here is a link to a YouTube interview with John Farnam:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JlHow63drrc&feature=em-subs_digest&list=TL0UOkqJHsBEo

This is a link to information on the gentleman conducting the interview:
http://www.tacticalresponse.com/d/node/160

Please contact me for any information by email at mqcq@evcohs.com or by U. S. Mail at:
Mike Quaintance
P.O. Box 1238
Bailey, CO, 80421-1238

Last edited by BeerGodROX on Dec 31, 2016 12:20 pm, edited 24 times in total.

Post subject: Re: DEFENSIVE FIREARMS TRAINING - JUNE 20 - 22, 2017.
Post Posted: Feb 4, 2013 6:10 pm 
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Oh my, Big Time poster!
I just updated the "artwork" on this post from html to bbCode so that it is visible on the new server.

PM me if you are interested in this class.
It will fill quite fast as the date draws near.

Thanks,
BGR

Last edited by BeerGodROX on Dec 31, 2016 11:58 am, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject: Re: DEFENSIVE FIREARMS TRAINING - JUNE 20 -22, 2017
Post Posted: Mar 19, 2013 10:10 pm 
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Due to the current shortage of ammunition, requirements for round count HAVE BEEN REDUCED!
The handgun portion now requires 400 rounds.
The rifle portion requires 300 rounds.
The shotgun portion requires 30 rounds - 25 buckshot and 5 slugs.
Military pattern rifles chambered in .22LR are NOW ACCEPTED!

This UPDATE is effective as of 31 December, 2016

Thank you!

Last edited by BeerGodROX on Dec 31, 2016 11:59 am, edited 6 times in total.

Post subject: Re: DEFENSIVE FIREARMS TRAINING - JUNE 20-22, 2017
Post Posted: Apr 24, 2013 5:42 pm 
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Upon receipt of your course fee, you will receive the following information in an email:

Be sure you bring with you the required number of rounds of pistol ammunition (400 rounds), at least two extra magazines or speed loaders, eye (safety glasses) and hearing protection, a sturdy leather belt, a high-quality, concealable belt holster, magazine/speed loader carriers, a baseball cap, and rain gear (it is Colorado after all!). Much of our work will be from a concealed draw, so please make sure your equipment is genuinely concealable and suitable for continuous, daily wear.

If you are participating in the UR/SG portion, you will need to bring a riot shotgun in twelve or twenty gauge. Slings are required. I recommend the Remington 870 pump and the 11-87 autoloader, the Benelli M2 or M4 autoloaders, and the Mossberg 590 or 500 pump, all in the “law-enforcement” version. Your shotgun must have a stock, either fixed or folding. "Stockless" shotguns are not acceptable. Your shotgun must be equipped with a sling.

You will need twentyfive rounds of buckshot and five slugs. We recommend 12ga 00 buckshot in the standard power, nine-pellet loading. For 20ga shotguns, we recommend #2 or #3 buckshot. Federal, Remington, Winchester, and other reputable manufacturers produce these loads in great abundance. "Tactical" (low-recoil) buckshot and slugs fail to operate many autoloading shotguns and are not recommended. We do not recommend any "magnum" shotshell loadings, 2 3/4" or 3". Magnum loadings are uncomfortable to shoot and offer little benefit in return. We do not recommend birdshot for anything but sport and recreational shooting.

We will accept most medium and heavy, autoloading, military rifles in 7.62x51 (308), 7.62x39 (30 Soviet), 5.54X39, 7.62X63 (30-06), M1 Carbine (.30 Carbine), or 5.56x45 (223) caliber. Pistol-cartridge-firing carbines, such as the Beretta CX4, are also acceptable. We will accept military rifles chambered for rimfire. Bolt guns, lever actions, and other, low-capacity, sporting rifles are not recommended. Slings are mandatory, as we will be running a hot range. High-magnification, high profile, close-eye-relief scopes are not suitable for our purposes. Good iron sights are recommended. Low-power, low-profile, forward-mounted scopes, are acceptable and are also recommended, along with EOTech and Aimpoint sighting systems. The best rifle to bring is a military autoloader. Students should be advised that their rifles will see some strenuous, rugged use and may get scratched up a bit. Pretty guns are best left at home. You will need 300 rounds of rifle ammunition.

Both courses will be outdoors and will entail some physical activity, so you will need to dress appropriately (long pants, long-sleeve shirt, sturdy shoes). You may get dirty, so wear something heavy-duty but inexpensive. Don't show up in sweat pants or shorts. You should bring along an old sports coat or jacket, so that you will able to practice their draw from concealment. An exception is made for police officers who want to work out of their uniform, duty gear.

Finally, you will need a gun bag or box, so that you can safely carry your handgun on and off the range, unless, of course, you are authorized to carry concealed, in which case I presume you will be carrying concealed to and from the range. All longarms must be carried on and off the range in cases.

Please PM me or call me at 303-838-7411 for further information on the course.

There are still slots available but I expect the class to be filled before the end of May.
Thanks!
Mike/BGR

Last edited by BeerGodROX on Dec 31, 2016 12:01 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Post subject: Re: DEFENSIVE FIREARMS TRAINING - JUNE 20-22 2017
Post Posted: May 31, 2013 4:00 pm 
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Hotel availability is still very good in Fairplay on 20 to 21 June (I assume you will check out the last day of the class - 22 June).
Please feel free to make any other arrangements you might desire but the Riverside Inn is the newest and is very clean and air conditioned.

Please contact the Riverside Inn Hotel at: http://www.riversidefairplay.com/ and ask for the "Farnam Class" rate of (expected - to be confirmed) $80/night.

If you still need to sign up for this class, please do it soon and contact me for answers to your questions.
PM works or call me at 303-838-7411.

Last edited by BeerGodROX on Dec 31, 2016 12:03 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Post subject: Re: DEFENSIVE FIREARMS TRAINING - JULY 16-18, 2013
Post Posted: May 31, 2013 4:39 pm 
Stratospheric Poster!
Stratospheric Poster!
I was required to take classes like this 45 yrs ago , twice a yr ,. I did mine with a snubby 38 cal,. my job in USAF , I carried alla time on planes . a 300 round class. I loved shooting . Now , I ain't been shooting in 6-7 yrs , . Have all tha guns here for classes , just lost my interest in shooting .

Post Posted: Jun 11, 2013 12:14 pm 
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Oh my, Big Time poster!
There is still time to sign up for this class in Fairplay.
This will be a LOT of shooting and is a fantastic experience that will stay with you and change the way you think about guns and going armed!

Here is the web site for Defense Training International: http://defense-training.com/index.html

To save you a small bit of time, here are a few excerpts from the web site:
COURSES OFFERED BY DTI
You are concerned about the safety and security of your family. You have thought about firearms and have purchased one. But now comes the hard part: learning the skills that will help keep you alive during a violent criminal attack. And wondering if you have it right. Well, stop wondering. Get the training you need from Defense Training International. DTI offers a variety of courses designed to help you improve your defensive shooting skills and expand your knowledge about the use of firearms for personal protection. In addition to the courses listed here, DTI can tailor a course to meet your individual needs. If you don't see what you want below, please contact us about a specialized program. Your personal security is always your responsibility, and yours alone!

WHAT TO EXPECT DURING A DTI TRAINING CLASS
Upon receiving a Class deposit, Defense Training International sends each student a detailed handout. The handout includes information regarding types of firearms that are recommended and the modifications that are allowed.

Also included is a student check-list of items to bring. It is important to us that students are as well prepared as possible so they are able to focus on learning.

After signing in, the course begins with a classroom session where students introduce themselves and John Farnam presents an overview of the course activities.

there will be another classroom session concerning the use of lethal force in self-defense. Other classroom subjects include situation awareness, threat/risk evaluation.

When students move to the range, each firearm is carefully inspected. Instructors will also inspect each student's accessories. During the next section, students will go through "administrative" gun-handling drills, loading and unloading, as well as charging magazines and speed loaders. Once John is satisfied that students have mastered these tasks, we move on to live-fire.

Students begin with drills that allow them to become familiar with a correct grip and stance. As the day continues, students will learn to draw from concealment, reload, and reduce stoppages, all on the move. Training is conducted in a realistic manner, stressing movement, use of cover, verbal challenges, and other important individual tactics.

The second day of the class will include cover and movement, performing under stress, and precision shooting, combined with shoot/no-shoot drills. The low light shooting session is designed to allow students to practice all skills with and without a flashlight.

The class ends with the DTI Proficiency Test. A student achieves a passing score when he hits with all shots, does not commit any safety errors, and does not commit any procedural errors. Students qualify at one-hundred percent. Even one miss yields a failed attempt. This test may be repeated as time permits for further attempts to qualify.

Students who attend Defense Training International courses find that they are physically exhausted at the end of the two days, but that they have mastered a set of psycho/motor skills and have adopted a personal philosophy that will serve them well in their next lethal encounter.

THIS IS A THREE (3) DAY CLASS!
Please PM me or call me at 303-838-7411 if you want in on this class!

BGR/Mike

Last edited by BeerGodROX on Dec 31, 2016 12:09 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Post subject: Re: DEFENSIVE FIREARMS TRAINING - JULY 16-18, 2013
Post Posted: Jun 11, 2013 1:55 pm 
Posts pretty often
Posts pretty often
Highly recommended ! have taken this class twice and am taking it again this year. All of the instructors at PDSIMS believe in improving our skills on a regular basis and all of us have at one time or another taken this class. John Farnam is a world class instructor. His staff instructors are top notch!
I would highly recommend reading John Farnams book "The Farnam Method of Defensive Handgunning" second edition. Available on Kindle from Amazon (or you can get a hard copy of it as well) before the class. BeerGodRox (poster) is your contact. He will help you in any way to get ready for this class.
It may seem to some a bit pricey but whats your life worth? I consider it money well spent. (Its a lot of fun too!)
Hope to see some of you there!

Post Posted: Nov 22, 2013 9:58 pm 
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Oh my, Big Time poster!
BUMP 11/22/13

Last edited by BeerGodROX on Dec 31, 2016 12:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: DEFENSIVE FIREARMS TRAINING - JUNE 28-30 2016
Post Posted: Nov 23, 2013 1:28 pm 
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Oh my, Big Time poster!
This is an article on "legal issues" related to Concealed Carry AND other uses of a weapon.
It is from the Cheaper Than Dirt website and relates specifically to Texas law.
These issues discussed here are closely related to Colorado "use of weapons" laws.

You need to know this kind of stuff!

http://cdn2.cheaperthandirt.com/blog/?p=51768&utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=social&utm_content=chronicle1123&utm_campaign=20131123-social-newsletter-gun-law-traps-that-can-bite-you-blog-post

This type of useful information will be a significant part of your "Farnam in Fairplay" course!

Last edited by BeerGodROX on Dec 31, 2015 3:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post Posted: Dec 1, 2013 8:48 pm 
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Here is more "Need to know" information!

This is from John Farnam and constitutes a major part of the training you will receive if you join the class listed above!

1 Dec 13

What little we know about using a gun in self-defense, during a personal
attack:

Many shooting statistics, commonly bandied-about, are dubious and
agenda-driven. We need to view them all with a jaundiced eye. One example,
routinely used by blindly-devoted gun-phobes, is that you're more likely to be
shot by a family member than by a violent criminal.

When you really think a member of your family, with whom you live, is going
to shoot you, you probably need to immediately move out of that household!
And, if you seriously believe you're going to shoot yourself,
intentionally or unintentionally, you probably shouldn't have any kind of gun!

When you fall into either of those categories, you need to pass on
gun-ownership. In fact, you can stop reading now, as you'll likely find what
follows boring and incomprehensible!

There are many other examples, but here are a few statistics my experience
indicates we can take with more than a grain of salt:

1) The majority of GSWs arriving in hospital emergency rooms involve limbs,
and are accidental and self-inflicted!

Like chainsaws and lawn-mowers, guns are dangerous! As with any item of
dangerous equipment, you need to thoroughly learn how to handle, operate,
keep, and carry guns correctly. However, unlike chainsaws and lawn-mowers,
serious guns represent a piece of emergency/safety equipment, like
fire-extinguishers, so they often must be kept continuously in a high state of
readiness in order to be truly useful. You need to know and understand how to
do that properly.

When you're able to operate an automobile, you can surly be trained to
operate any modern pistol I know of. But, as with automobiles, you need to
take it upon yourself to expose yourself to competent training. If not, don'
t even start, because you will likely join the statistics mentioned above!

2) Upwards of 90% of domestic gunfights occur at a range of seven meters or
less. Half occur within three meters! Many of those occur at contact
range! Long-range shots are still an integral part of competent training,
but most training needs to take place at most likely engagement ranges.

On the other side of the coin, reliable statistics indicate that shots
launched by violent felons at you will be effective less than 7% of the time,
when engagement range is in excess of ten meters. Accordingly, part of
your training needs to involve aggressive disengagement and retreat from
threat(s) to past ten meters in range (in addition to effectively using
available cover) in order to enhance your advantage.

3) The longer this gunfight goes on, the more shot you're going to get!
The vast majority of the time, the one who scores the first fatal hit
(body-midline, naval to neck) will ultimately prevail. Personal control and
precision are the keys. When you panic and forget what you're doing, you're
going to lose. A pointless fusillade of unaimed bullets, launched in the "
general direction" of the threat, will probably not be effective, but will
endanger innocent bystanders. When your bullet(s) don't hit what you wanted
them to hit, then, by definition, they will hit something you didn't want
hit. No one cares how fast you can miss!

Stay in control. Use your sights. Get your hits. End the fight quickly!

4) Moving laterally during your draw will decrease the likelihood of your
being hit by upwards of 70%. Lateral movement is thus an integral part of
your presentation routine!

5) You will be facing more than one armed attacker in excess of 50% of the
time. This suggests the advantage of routinely carrying a high-capacity
auto-pistol, in a serious caliber, routinely carrying high-performance,
tactical ammunition, and practicing the swift and effective dispatching of
multiple threats. This statistic also recommends habitually carrying a back-up
pistol!

6) Hit-percentages achieved by working patrol officers in actual gunfights
is sometimes as poor as 12%. However, among well-trained and practiced
SWAT officers, it often exceeds 95%! Obviously, you must train to be
proficient. Don't wait around for someone to "provide" you with training. Go
out on your own, and get the competent training you need from accomplished
private-sector trainers.

7) Your next gunfight will occur in low light upwards of 80% of the time.
No training regimen is thus complete, without practice in low-light
shooting!

8) During your next gunfight, it is likely you'll be shooting your pistol
one-handed, not by preference, but due to necessity. Your "other" hand may
be occupied with sweeping family-members out of the way, or it may be
already injured. To be fully prepared, you must dedicate some practice to
effectively shooting your pistol one-handed, with both strong-side and
support-side hands!

9) We dare not forget what is sometimes called:

"The dead man's five seconds!"

Violent felons who have been fatally hit, and are in the process of dying,
who will be found by responding police a short time later, dead at the
scene (DRT), whose ventricles have been shredded by your bullets, whose
blood-pressure is thus rapidly dropping to zero- can still, and likely will,
continue to represent a lethal threat to you for at least five seconds, maybe at
long as fifteen seconds! "Instant" de-animation is unlikely with any
pistol ammunition made, short of a difficult "brain-stem shot."

So, don't relax too soon! Give your bullets time to complete their deadly
work, lest you be killed by a "dead man!" Don't approach wounded
suspects! Stay at distance, behind cover, prepared to continue shooting when
necessary.

10) It works both ways! The "fatality percentage" of domestic GSWs (all
gun types) is only 3%. 97% of GSWs are not ultimately fatal! Accordingly,
even when hit, you have to continue to fight effectively. When hit, your
best immediate strategy is to get fatal hits on your attacker as quickly as
possible, so he can't hit you again!

When you are conscious enough to realize you've been hit, you're conscious
enough to finish the fight. Don't delay an instant!

To summarize:

"You're either in the Navy, or you're not!" "Dabblers" in our Art are
kidding themselves! Non-serious "recreational" and "competition"
shooters, who vainly imagine themselves as gun-fighters, are also kidding
themselves.

Your life is in your hands. Get a good grip on it!

"Lambs lie down only with well-fed lions, and plowshares, formed from the
beaten swords of warriors, are wielded only by slaves."

Wiggington

/John

John S. Farnam

Last edited by BeerGodROX on Dec 31, 2016 12:11 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject: Re: DEFENSIVE FIREARMS TRAINING - JULY 15-17, 2014
Post Posted: Apr 10, 2014 7:29 pm 
Active Pinecam Poster
Active Pinecam Poster
This course is what first brought me to Colorado.

Highly recommended ....

Reply to topic  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next