Post Posted: Dec 8, 2016 2:14 pm 
Prolific Pinecam Poster
Prolific Pinecam Poster
Looking to purchase a drone do I need to do anything because of altitude

Post subject: Re: Any Drone users??
Post Posted: Dec 8, 2016 2:42 pm 
Infrequent Pinecam poster
Infrequent Pinecam poster
I have a DJI phantom 3 standard and it has no problem in higher altitude.

Post Posted: Dec 9, 2016 8:57 am 
Posts Semi-Regularly
Posts Semi-Regularly
I asked my son that question because he has one. I know his took some beautiful Arial photos up here. He has a DJI Phantom 3. He said to be sure it has GPS. It will hold itself in place and remember where it took off so that if it gets disconnected it will return and land in that spot. One other thing to know is that there are places that you are not allowed to fly them. I was very surprised by that. We went to Pine Lake in the winter and we were told by the Park Ranger that it is not allowed there. He said there are several places they are not allowed.

Post Posted: Dec 9, 2016 9:06 am 
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Oh my, Big Time poster!
For everyone out there operating or considering operating a UAS (aka drone), please follow the regulations that have been established by industry and the FAA. As drone usage is expected to increase exponentially in the coming years, it is imperative that everyone understands operating procedures so that everyone in the National Air Space can operate safely. Drone operators are required to register your drone, and encouraged to create a notice that advises other pilots when and where you will be operating (DRONETAM). Here is a link that can help you get started and understand the procedures to follow.

https://www.faa.gov/uas/getting_started/

Happy Flying

"Sunshine is delicious, rain is refreshing, wind braces us up, snow is exhilarating; there is really no such thing as bad weather, only different kinds of good weather" - John Ruskin

Post Posted: Dec 9, 2016 12:01 pm 
Prolific Pinecam Poster
Prolific Pinecam Poster
Good info, it's gonna be used to find cows and llama's on property

Post Posted: Feb 24, 2018 9:36 pm 
New Poster
To all Conifer area Drone (UAV, Quadcopter, RC Plane) users.
Please be sure to check FAA maps or use the Airmap App https://app.airmap.io before flying anywhere in the mountain area.
Also, please do not fly in Open space, Jeffco mountain or national & state parks or wildlife refuges.
These areas are strictly off limits.

Here's the LAW!
Jefferson County:
Pursuant to the Resolutions and Order No. CC87-385, CC87-1094, CC88-352, CC10-033, CC14-045 and CC17-265 Jefferson County Policy 6.4.1.C of the Board of County Commissioners
and as authorized by CRS 29-7-101(2) as amended.
C.26. Missiles and Craft:
C.26.a. Except as authorized by law or under this Policy, it shall be unlawful to throw, discharge, launch, operate by remote control or land any type of unmanned aircraft system (drone), missile, rocket or craft from, on or above Open Space Lands including waters. Fine: $50.00
There are also other state and federal laws regarding the operation of UAV (Drones) over national wildlife refuges, national parks and monuments.

If you have any doubt, DON'T FLY until you've confirmed you are allowed to do so.

As for everyone else, if someone is flying a drone around you or over your property, it usually is perfectly legal as long as the drone is not an imminent hazard to people or property.

Also, if the drone has a camera, it is LEGAL to film anything that is in public, plain view. Basically, if you can see it, you can photograph and video it without permission.
It is ILLEGAL to video or photograph anywhere there is an expectation of privacy (e.g. inside someone's home, public restrooms, changing rooms or through a window into private property), the outside however is legal to film or photograph as long as extraordinary means (i.e. telephoto lenses, thermographic & infrared) are not used.

THIS IS A FIRST AMENDMENT RIGHT! If something is in "Plain View" or "Public view" (visible to the general public) it is perfectly legal to photograph or video it.

Considering the vast majority of UAV's & drones utilize a wide-angle lens they will not have the resolution to invade privacy.

If you do not want a UAV flown near you, and can contact the operator, please be polite and calm, they're almost always very nice about it and will be happy to take your concerns into consideration and respect your request.
However, if you're confrontational, angry, aggressive or being an (removed)#0le about it, then expect the same in return.
Even if you are nice and tell them your concerns, they may still decline your request as long as they are flying and videoing/photographing LEGALLY.
There has been a lot of hyperbole and misinformation recently regarding drones and other UAV's recently and there has been a lot of incorrect information.

Here's some footage from my drone, as you can see it's beautiful and showcases how fortunate we are to live where we do.
https://youtu.be/YzO5QuveghY

Post Posted: Feb 28, 2018 8:02 pm 
Stratospheric Poster!
Stratospheric Poster!
I just bought a GoPro Karma. So far it's been fantastic. Very easy to fly and the video quality is great. Your DJI shouldn't have any problem with the altitude.

Post Posted: Feb 28, 2018 10:17 pm 
Posts pretty often
Posts pretty often
mtnphotoman wrote:

Here's some footage from my drone, as you can see it's beautiful and showcases how fortunate we are to live where we do.
https://youtu.be/YzO5QuveghY

@mtnphotoman - that is some nice drone footage.... nice sound track too.

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ]