It is currently Nov 12, 2019 6:20 am 

The Study Forum Additional Terms of Service here
Notice: all quoted material must be linked back to the original source.
No more than 4 sentences in quoted material.

Reply to topic  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Previous topic | Next topic 

Post subject: Re: Story v. Neville Race
Post Posted: Nov 11, 2018 10:09 am 
Whoa momma! A top Pinecam poster!
Whoa momma! A top Pinecam poster!
The irony is that most of us have been around long enough that we are the people who have paid for all the services Last Light cites for many many decades. It is strange to be accused of being a taker.

Post Posted: Nov 11, 2018 10:20 am 
Stratospheric Poster!
Stratospheric Poster!
I can't even imagine the amount of money I'd have in an investment account had all the money I've paid into social security been privately invested instead. I know it would be a helluva lot more, in terms of monthly payout, than what the gov't will "pay" me in SS "benefits" (what that really means is the measly amount of MY money they're going to return to ME).

45%, give or take a bit, of the population of this country has no federal income tax liability. Of course, that doesn't mean they don't pay other taxes, obviously they do and the reasons for having no income tax liability are varied. However, it does illustrate the great disparity of how much roughly half of the country pays into the programs that benefit those that pay far, far less and are basically the sole beneficiaries of those programs.

Post Posted: Nov 11, 2018 10:25 am 
Prolific Pinecam Poster
Prolific Pinecam Poster
Last Light wrote:
"Said like a true conservative - Privatize Social Security and pick on people who are in need. You're one of the true takers. You drive on roads paid for through taxes. You use police when you have an emergency. You call the fire department when you have an emergency and don't forget when you call an ambulance how that is funded. Assuming you went to school (assumption on my part) that too was funded by taxes. Infrastructure that you rely on (Electric, Phone and Gas) were also paid for and maintained through taxation. I can go on on.........."

Yes you can go on and on, That's my point! There are lot of people who have vital jobs, people that society depends on, our lives would not be the same without them! A great number of these people are tax takers, yes they pay taxes like the rest of us, but the money they use to pay their taxes comes from tax payers.
I've never suggested that taxes not be paid or that they aren't necessary.
What I do see is an ever growing public payroll, leaving a smaller number of people to actually produce the GDP that fuels our economy. The Government never downsizes, it never seems to try to produce more with less. Administrative costs are out of control in the public sector.
I'm tired of hearing that conservatives are heartless because of their beliefs, it just isn't true! People in this country that need help, can usually get it. They do need to ask, seek some help, it takes some initiative.
All men are created equal (that means women too). But after that it's up to the individual, it takes work, ambition, luck, and a number of other factors.
Our Government cannot take care of us from cradle to grave, it will either collapse under the weight of that or we will become nothing more than a giant ant hill.

Reply to topic  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3