It is currently Oct 18, 2019 10:40 pm 

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Previous topic | Next topic 

Post subject: Re: Dallas --> Denver --> Pine <3
Post Posted: Jul 20, 2019 10:05 am 
Whoa momma! A top Pinecam poster!
Whoa momma! A top Pinecam poster!
:) Welcome to Pinecam. Pinecamers are great folks and a wonderful source of information so please don't hesitate to ask questions.

The joke is that we spend the summer months getting ready for winter; actually that is the truth.

I have 2 Golden Retrievers. I keep their bags of dog food and extra bags of treats in large plastic totes from Walmart to prevent Deer Mice and Chipmunks getting at their food. At night or very early in the morning, when the dogs need to go out, I always survey the surroundings before letting the dogs into the yard, so good strong flashlights are a must. I also flash the light into the forest surroundings to see who may be hanging around in the woods. Many, many times, I’ve seen Black Bears at night off in the distance, amongst the trees. I am always vigilant of my fur babies.

Bright, outside flood lights that have a good range are a great idea for night time use.

Please never let your beloved fur babies outside unattended; even if only a for a moment or two. A couple years ago, during the Black Bear “fall gorging season,” about 4 pm in the afternoon my dogs were in the yard tail chasing and getting some exercise. A huge Black Bear slowly sauntered its way in and out of the shadows and amongst the trees towards the yard after it heard them play barking. I knew its intensions. The dogs were having so much fun, they were oblivious of the big, black, furry animal stalking them. What the Black Bear did not see was me standing on the spa deck “standing watch.” Loudly, with intensity, I broadcasted, “Hey Bear Bear!! How are you today?” It quickly moved its head my direction while looking very startled. I repeated, “Hi Bear Bear.” That was all it took. The Bear did an about face and headed back down the mountain. Bear Bear was so focused on the dogs in the yard, it never saw me in plain sight. Had I not been there, even for a minute I don’t even want to think what would have happened. Black Bears are not nocturnal animals. :bear:

I have about a dozen camping lanterns that run on batteries for when the power goes out due to storms regardless the time of year.

This is a great time of year to move up to the mountains; the flowers are beginning to blossom, there is abundant wildlife and the heavy scent of Pine wafts in the breeze. Please keep watchful eye on our furry neighbors when driving. We love having them around. :elk dance:

As for the Black Bears, don't keep anything scented in your vehicle (i.e. hanging air fresheners); this is in addition to food, water bottles. When you get fast food to take home (i.e. pizza) give your vehicle a chance to "air out" so Bears will not smell the pizza. If you have to park your vehicle outside, lock it; for the Bear’s sake. :bear:

Good luck with the move. Remember you are relocating to a higher elevation and most likely will feel the change in altitude; especially with all the physical exertion moving brings. :pinetree: :pinetree:

Post Posted: Jul 21, 2019 10:13 am 
Prolific Pinecam Poster
Prolific Pinecam Poster
Wily Fox aka Angela wrote:
good advice, Mirsh!

we have a whole house generator so never have a worry when power goes out. it runs on propane and we have a separate tank for it.
good luck for internet service. this post is good. go to last two pages for more current information. https://www.pinecam.com/forum/viewtopic ... &start=204

I thought about mentioning the generator issue, but know there have been many Pinecam posts. I think it's a personal choice - how willing, or able, you are to live without electricity. I've only lost one fridge/freezer full of food when the power was out a week or more. If you depend on power for heat then that would be an issue. It's expensive to buy and install a generator. One more tip - I keep ground coffee beans on hand. Can't get going without coffee.

Post Posted: Jul 21, 2019 11:24 am 
Pinecam Hall of Fame poster!
Pinecam Hall of Fame poster!
Welcome!
Lots of good advice thus far. And Id like to add while its fresh in my mind the topic of FIRE.
We are always in a semi arid climate here, even when we've had wet springs.
Now entering the monsoon season there will be intense thunderstorms with lightning strikes that can set a fire.
Campers that don't properly extinguish camp fires are a constant source of concern as are people tossing cigarette butts out of cars into crispy grass along the roads.

It's a good idea to register with CodeRed. Its an emergency alerting system that you can customize alert notifications for. Severe weather, fire, missing persons etc...

Its also a good idea to have a "go bag" at the ready for everyone in the house hold. In case of the need to evacuate, have a few changes of clothes, prescription meds, some cash and other essentials ready to grab and also have a set plan for meet ups. Keep any pet meds and some food, water dishes leashes and crates for each pet in a designated place so its all ready to load should you get evac orders.
This is assuming your pets are microchipped and you've updated their contact info with the chip company. Its easy to overlook this detail when you are in the throws of a move. Its also a good idea to post what pets you have at home in the event you aren't there in an emergency so first responders know what pets they are looking for if you cant get home to get them.

Fire is the most intimidating force we face while living here regardless of the cause. Its less frightening when we live in preparedness.

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2