It is currently Jun 25, 2019 2:07 am 

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 

Previous topic | Next topic 

Post subject: Rescue effort ends successfully in Lost Creek Wilderness
Post Posted: May 18, 2019 8:50 am 
Flume Editor
A tantalizing combination of palpable anxiety and radio static hung in the air late Friday night, May 10, within the remote interior of Pike National Forest’s Lost Creek Wilderness.

Under a steady downpour of sleet at about 9,000 feet elevation, and speaking by way of a mobile radio unit to a team of five rescue personnel, Park County Search and Rescue incident commander Wes Sumrall repeated his question numerous times, attempting to ascertain the condition of lost campers Dave and Heather Skillman.

“The subjects are in an area where the radio signal fades in and out,” Sumrall said. “They are in a deep ravine with steep walls on all sides.”

At that time, the Lakewood couple had been missing near the Goose Creek Trailhead for almost 60 hours, and had been in the park since Sunday morning, May 5, some five-and-a-half days earlier.

http://www.theflume.com/free_content/ar ... aa52c.html

Post subject: Re: Rescue effort ends successfully in Lost Creek Wilderness
Post Posted: May 18, 2019 1:18 pm 
Posts pretty often
Posts pretty often
Yikes! 60 hour in rain and I bet cold. People laugh at me, but I go into wilderness areas very well prepared with matches, plastic bags to use as "raincoats," a compass, map, first aid kit, flashlight, spare socks and gloves, and a heavy jacket tied around my waist. So many people (even mtn. folks) go out TOTALLY unprepared even when the NOAA weather report says a storm is rolling in. Even 15 minutes in the mountain wilderness can kill you. This is not a walk in the park. Try walking 5 miles with a sprained ankle in the dark.

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ]