Post Posted: Feb 14, 2018 9:01 am 
Infrequent Pinecam poster
Has anyone had experience with Rise Broadband :multi:

Post subject: Re: Rise Broadband
Post Posted: Feb 14, 2018 9:39 am 
Use them for work in Aspen Park and in the past, my home in Conifer. In all cases they have great technology, but have over sold the number of accounts their towers can deliver good service to. So you pay a lot for pretty slow internet if you use either their Double Header tower or Black Mountain tower. I switched to Century Link DSL at home and it is better and less expensive. I'd switch the office too if I could.

Post Posted: Feb 14, 2018 11:49 am 
Posts pretty often
Posts pretty often
:) Not the fastest but always very reliable no matter what kind of weather we get. Still much faster than what Century Link has available in my area. I watch plenty of videos and rarely have any issues.

Post Posted: Feb 14, 2018 12:18 pm 
Whoa momma! A top Pinecam poster!
Whoa momma! A top Pinecam poster!
Was great until they oversold the tower in Evergreen....after Rise bought out Skybeam, who bought out Wispertel.
Rise is bigger company but hard to get response if you have a problem.

Same technology but better support from Mountain Broadband. http://www.mtnbb.com/

Post Posted: Feb 14, 2018 2:58 pm 
Thanks for the replies.
I live near the King Soopers in Conifer and they said I would get 50M download with a guarantee (we all know how that goes) of 30M during peak times. I currently have CenturyLink and pay for 20M download but only receive 5.67M download.

Post Posted: Feb 15, 2018 6:34 am 
Active Pinecam Poster
Active Pinecam Poster
Do NOT EVER EVER engage with Rise Broadband.

I've been meaning to post a longer piece on Rise Broadband, but here's the short version:

Out of desperation with failures with other upstart wireless internet providers that were supposed to be good, and with some people saying they had good experience with Rise, I chose to give them a chance.

In short, THEY WILL ALWAYS EVENTUALLY OVERSELL their capacity--that's their business model. They keep signing up new customers (for high installation fees and contracts you must commit to on day 1), and do not stop selling a particular access point until enough people complain. Their fix is to stop selling, but never to upgrade the equipment/capacity, so those people are left with 1mbps downloads during prime-time until enough people leave.... then they start selling again!! They only exist because people don't regularly test their speeds, and keep paying for high-speed internet they stopped getting long ago.

You should regularly check your speeds at 7pm to see what you're getting and (try to) complain. If your speeds are still good, consider yourself lucky, but your time will come. They will never confess to overselling, but the installers know the real story.

On top of that, plan on at least 30 minutes each time you call in (due to hold times, and human robots asking you the same flow-chart questions each time as if they don't know the real problems). They may send out a technician to "fix" the problem, but it's simply their oversold thin network, and the tech will say "that's the speed you get, goodbye."

I finally decided to cancel, and for 3 separate call-in attempts on different days, got put on hold for the "cancellation" department for at least an hour each time when I finally gave-up. They refused to take my cancellation through customer service or online-chat in spite of never picking up the phone. I truly was unable to cancel my 1mbps "50mbps" service, and had to simply dispute my CC charges and block them!!

In then end, you get choppy video, waste a ton of time, have to fight for your "early termination fee" refund, and they keep your installation fees plus months of full-price subscription fees when they didn't deliver even close to what they promised.

Their BBB rating is F. They are a racket. Their Twitter account spams gratuitous "filler" posts solely to keep pushing out the endless complaints (i.e., they KNOW). People only call them out of desperation, and are then regretful. If you're "happy" with them, you either pay for 50mbps to only check email and don't notice the scam, or your time has yet to come.

I don't think we're entitled to good internet in the foothills, and to force others pay for the infrastructure. However, this company should be fined for their lies and chosen incompetence. I'm surprised there's not yet been a class-action, (AFAIK).

Yes, that was the short version. :) You've been warned.

PS: Remember, all installers will install your equipment during the middle of the day when demand is low. Come 7pm, you'll get the real story. After the same failures with local wireless internet companies, I truly believe they put new customers on a priority speed list, and then slowly demote them to "normal" (oversold) speeds over time.

Post Posted: Feb 15, 2018 7:51 am 
There is an initiative in Park County to being RELIABLE broadband service to the rural area. There is a meeting Feb. 24 — check out the thread with info. If enough people can get on board we can make it a reality up here!

Post Posted: Feb 15, 2018 11:20 am 
Posts Semi-Regularly
Posts Semi-Regularly
Rise has been working great for us. We've been around since Wispertel and so far Rise has been the best. Some occasional quirks but overall very pleased. We use their Voip service as well. It also work well. Again with a few quirks at times.

We also stream all of our TV without a problem.

Dave

Post Posted: Feb 15, 2018 11:44 am 
Posts Semi-Regularly
Posts Semi-Regularly
I have had Rise Broadband for years and wispertel before that. I work remote so I am on the internet all day long. The evenings get slower (as with any internet provider I have ever had) but the problems aren't major. I can always do what I want.

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ]