It is currently Dec 12, 2018 7:14 am 

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Previous topic | Next topic 

Post subject: Anyone use Hughes Net?
Post Posted: Aug 10, 2018 12:50 pm 
Posts pretty often
Posts pretty often
Hey Pinecamland,

If you add up the days my internet has been down with CenturyLink, it's almost 30 days over the last year. Off and on constantly. Just came on after being out 24 hours. Paying extra for high speed, but it's not. Don't care so much about speed as just simply being able to get on the internet. So, wondering if anyone is using HughesNet and are they as good as they say they are? They are almost twice as much in cost, are they twice as good?

Post subject: Re: Anyone use Hughes Net?
Post Posted: Aug 10, 2018 1:00 pm 
Active Pinecam Poster
Active Pinecam Poster
If you can see Bear Mountain from you roof, you may be able to get Rise Broadband … and they may have other towers.
https://www.risebroadband.com/

Rise BB got a bad rap a decade or so, but when bought by Rise BB, don't recall the name of the previous service. I am very pleased.
I cannot get CL nor Comcast.. CL (Century link does not provide Broadband to all of there service area) Check with your closest neighbor to ask about their carrier.

The problem with Hughes is the "slow down" of connection when you want it most. You might want to check with CompuMedic a computer service & internet connection help. Located in Bergen Park. Sam, the owner, understands the 285 way. https://compumedic.us/

Post Posted: Aug 15, 2018 10:14 pm 
Posts pretty often
Posts pretty often
Satellite service can be okay depending on how you use the internet - you just have to be aware that the latency can be extremely high (700+ ms) and the amount of data usage in the month can be very limited. You may also have issues with service during severe weather/storms and you will be locked into a two year contract with satellite.

You would likely be best served by looking at Rise or NETEO internet as a better option if you can get the service as opposed to jumping right into the satellite option.

Post Posted: Aug 15, 2018 10:46 pm 
Pinecam Hall of Fame poster!
you should do some troubleshooting before quitting CL. you will hate satellite service. We tried everything and came back to CL as it has the most reliable service we've had. We even took Wild Blue to court to get our money back which we did.

I know it is a PIA to get on with technical support, but you should. they can do tests from their end and if need be send out a new modem. We just went through some problems (first time in forever) and it ended up being the modem. Got a new one and then one of our DSL lines was damaged in box due to lighting, so a tech came out and fixed that (external to house at the all the boxes at the corner) and now back at 40 without issue.

If you have a pet you wish to add to the Rainbow Bridge Site, please either post in the Pet Forum Rainbow Bridge Page viewtopic.php?f=85&t=78851 or PM me with pet names you would like them added. If you have others already there, please give me their names so I can add your pet with them.

Post Posted: Aug 16, 2018 3:59 am 
Posts Semi-Regularly
Posts Semi-Regularly
Wily Fox aka Angela wrote:
and now back at 40 without issue.

40?! That's like science fiction to me. CL told me the most available in my area was 12 and we're realistically getting about 2 (paying for 7 but don't see the need to pay for extra speed that I can't access). I'm kind of resigned to it at this point but I really didn't know that speeds of 40 were available in our area.

Post Posted: Aug 16, 2018 4:51 am 
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Ishium, in rural mountainous areas like ours, DSL speed qualification will vary widely. It all depends on how close you are to the DSLAM, and here those distances can vary by thousands of feet. Wily appears to be fortunate in having a relatively short run from the DSLAM to her house. My situation is more the norm here: I get about 6M and pay for 7 (since CTL still sells to an "up to" specific speed model).

Post Posted: Aug 16, 2018 5:30 am 
Posts Semi-Regularly
Posts Semi-Regularly
I get that, I just really didn't think that those speeds were attainable anywhere in the area- I thought you needed to be a lot closer to "civilization". That's the thing I learned for the day...

And to keep the thread slightly on topic does anyone who uses Hughes or Rise (or anything else for that matter) care to share their speed reports?

Post Posted: Aug 16, 2018 7:39 am 
ishium wrote:
Wily Fox aka Angela wrote:
and now back at 40 without issue.

40?! That's like science fiction to me. CL told me the most available in my area was 12 and we're realistically getting about 2 (paying for 7 but don't see the need to pay for extra speed that I can't access). I'm kind of resigned to it at this point but I really didn't know that speeds of 40 were available in our area.

Please call support and let them check out your line and modem.

We are in Green Valley Ranch in Conifer. We have a bonded pair of 20mbps DSL lines for a total of 40. It was a short time offer and we jumped on it. It is smart to check their website from time to time for offers. That is how we got ours upgraded including new modem.

If you have a pet you wish to add to the Rainbow Bridge Site, please either post in the Pet Forum Rainbow Bridge Page viewtopic.php?f=85&t=78851 or PM me with pet names you would like them added. If you have others already there, please give me their names so I can add your pet with them.

Post Posted: Aug 16, 2018 7:52 am 
Posts Semi-Regularly
Posts Semi-Regularly
I went through the dance with them about a week ago and the most available at my address was 12 (that was the maximum which as we all know is nothing but theory). We're paying for 7 and getting about 1.5.

Post Posted: Aug 16, 2018 8:07 am 
Active Pinecam Poster
Active Pinecam Poster
CL has been the most reliable for us over the past 5 years. We've not tried satellite, so I cannot comment.

Mountain BB was good for a few years until their speeds crashed; Rise was good for about a month and then their speeds crashed, and they became a bunch of lying liars (nearly triggering a court battle). Both of these wireless options simply don't have the bandwidth to support their subscriptions--they keep selling more, and then your internet is unusable during prime video-watching time while you're still billed as if there wasn't a problem. So keep testing your speeds, and complain/change if they're slow--these companies feed on non-technical people who don't test their speeds.

CL only offers 10Mbps at our remote location, but it's a solid 10--much better than the "up to 50" plan that measures 0.837Mbps at 7pm.

Post Posted: Aug 16, 2018 8:13 am 
ishium wrote:
I went through the dance with them about a week ago and the most available at my address was 12 (that was the maximum which as we all know is nothing but theory). We're paying for 7 and getting about 1.5.

did you dance with technical support or just sales?

Post Posted: Aug 16, 2018 9:36 am 
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Oh my, Big Time poster!
I used to have CL and finally gave up. They were so unreliable it just wasn't worth it anymore. I'd have at least 3 days down per month and even more days where service was gone for hours at a time. I'd lose connection frequently to the point I'd have to shut down what I was doing for hours at a time. Yes, I had the tech review and all that rot over and over, but in the end CL was just not reliable and their speeds were horrible. I checked out Rise Broadband, but could not get a line of sight to their nearest tower. So I switched to HughesNet.

First, its satellite. So there is some latency delays, but unless you need it for live gaming or other high-speed intensive apps I've had no problems with that. Speeds fluctuate, but its still waaaaay faster than CL EVER was. The most important point is reliability. Since I've had HughesNet for 10+ months I've had ZERO down time. That's right. ZERO! Now, that's reliable.

Like any satellite service, you'll need to brush snow off the dish if needed, but I've never had interruptions in service because of storms. Also, if you need service they're very responsive. I've only called once and talked to a live human in the Denver area right away. That call was only to cancel mistaken service calls which I never ordered. Overall, I'd give HughesNet a solid B+.

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next