It is currently Jun 27, 2019 4:30 am 

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 

Previous topic | Next topic 

Post subject: Rise Broadband excessive rate increase?
Post Posted: Feb 18, 2019 9:00 pm 
Posts Semi-Regularly
Posts Semi-Regularly
Anyone else get an unexpected and large rate increase from Rise broadband? My charge was $76 in 2018, $95 in January, and tonight I got a notice that next month is $114. Anyone know who is going on?

Post subject: Re: Rise Broadband excessive rate increase?
Post Posted: Feb 19, 2019 11:35 am 
Stratospheric Poster!
Stratospheric Poster!
Castalot wrote:
Anyone else get an unexpected and large rate increase from Rise broadband? My charge was $76 in 2018, $95 in January, and tonight I got a notice that next month is $114. Anyone know who is going on?

This is when I feel lucky that I can get 20.0mb DSL from CL for $45. They wanted to charge me the "regular" rate of $75 but all I had to do is call and ask for a better rate. Of course they try to up-sell you onto other phone services, etc. but after saying no to that I still got the better rate.

Have you tried to call Rise and just say you can't afford such ridiculous increases to see if they will let you go back to last years rate - maybe with another time commitment?

Post Posted: Feb 19, 2019 11:53 am 
Posts Semi-Regularly
Posts Semi-Regularly
I called them this morning, Sunset. They did lower my rate by $30 (though charged me to "change plans"). I know this game always goes on, but it is aggravating. I do like their service, for the most part and am stuck with line of site type service. What is CL? Thanks. KD

Post Posted: Feb 19, 2019 12:42 pm 
Stratospheric Poster!
Stratospheric Poster!
CL is CenturyLink. This "game" is so ridiculous that we have to play to get service at reasonable prices. I checked the RISE site and there it says that I can get 25mb service for $29.95 the first year and $39.95 the second. There must be a lot of other equipment/service/tax fees they they of course forget to mention! I wish it was the opposite way and they rewarded you for being a long time customer and your rates go DOWN (or at least less up) for each year of loyalty. A lot of insurance companies do that.

Post Posted: Feb 19, 2019 12:47 pm 
Posts Semi-Regularly
Posts Semi-Regularly
Duh...Century Link. Yeah, not an option where I live. But thanks. Always fees and such (and I have a VOIP service with it also). Thanks for your follow up! KD

Post Posted: Feb 19, 2019 4:43 pm 
Whoa momma! A top Pinecam poster!
Whoa momma! A top Pinecam poster!
Comcast does the same dang thing. I’ve been with them since 2003. I was paying $152/mo for tv (basic plan, rarely watcg), Internet, and home security. In Dec my plan went up to $188. Huh? Apparently my “promotion ended” (did they tell me? no!) so I called and told em I was a senior on a fixed income and could not afford this. After hemming and hawing I got a “reduction “ to $170, still couldn’t afford so canned the home security. They still wanted to charge me more so I called again and a nice rep got me a new plan (why didn’t they do this to begin with) for $160, that includes a landline which I do not need or use. Then they try to charge me a late fee saying I had a balance of 11 cents past due. Told them I would mail them 11 pennies.

There is no such thing as loyalty to customers anymore. And since I changed up my plan in the first week of the month, they could not issue me a prorated bill. I would have to drive to a Comcast facility to get it. WTH? They all are unscrupulous. If I could get decent internet I would cut the cord.

Post Posted: Feb 19, 2019 5:02 pm 
Posts Semi-Regularly
Posts Semi-Regularly
Yep - same thing. "your promotion ended." They just bet that we won't call. In the middle of changing insurance after a decade, also. Going to be saving 4k a year! Pays to keep on top of it.

Post Posted: Feb 19, 2019 8:40 pm 
Active Pinecam Poster
Active Pinecam Poster
I find it much harder to keep track of rate increases from many services now that they all want you to Save The Planet with paperless statements. (AND mainly lower their costs.) Some will email your statements, but most of the companies I deal with send a notice that your statement is available. Hopefully there is a link to their website. Hopefully you remember your user name and password.

As an ex-printer, I know that paper is good. And, yes, it does grow on trees. And trees need CO2, so I feel good firing up the old V-8.

I've been a Wispertel / Skybeam / Rise customer for many years. I've been pleased with improvements in speed and reliability over the years.

I guess I better go to their website and check my statement.

Post Posted: Feb 20, 2019 7:34 am 
Posts Semi-Regularly
Posts Semi-Regularly
Rocky, I have liked their service and improvements, and they beat anything else from the limited choices I have here. But yeah, check your statements. It looks like in general, every two years, they goose my rates pretty good until I call them.

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ]