It is currently Feb 19, 2017 4:54 pm 

If you are looking for a new pet, click here for pets for needing adoption, rescue, or for sale.
Click here for lost/found pets and click here for pet related advertisements.

Reply to topic  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Previous topic | Next topic 

Post subject: Re: Our New Fosters: Janie and Jill
Post Posted: Jan 4, 2017 5:07 pm 
Whoa momma! A top Pinecam poster!
Indeed you are!

Post Posted: Jan 5, 2017 6:12 am 
Active Pinecam Poster
Active Pinecam Poster
Thanks for update. Awesome job you guys! They are lucky pups to have you!

Post Posted: Jan 9, 2017 8:24 am 
Ugh! So much for a histiocytoma. Found this on Jambo's right foreleg yesterday:

Nothing on Jill, Sashi, or the cats (or us) so far. Really bummed, not sure how far back this is going to push spaying. Poor little girls can't catch a break.

Post Posted: Jan 27, 2017 2:12 am 
Pupdate 1/27 aka ring around the wormy aka fungus among us:

Let me just tell ya, I've been fostering dogs for many years and adopting them for much longer, and I have never had to deal with ringworm. Until now. And please, please let it be another 40 years before I have to deal with it again. What a pain!! And it makes no sense...seems to go after the healthiest animals. Here's the timeline so far:

Jan. 1st - We notice the first spot on Janie and rightfully suspect ringworm.

Jan 3rd - I take the pups to the vet and he diagnoses it as a histiocytoma with a side of wishful thinking.

Jan 8th - We notice a nearly identical spot on Jambo, my six year old male who is in prime condition. I immediately start treating both Janie and Jambo topically with apple cider vinegar, as I have read that it's a good anti-fungal and we get the raw, unfiltered stuff from the co-op I run. I contact Julie, the director of the rescue, and she arranges to pick up meds from the vet.

Jan 9th - I meet Julie and get the prescribed anti-fungal meds and start applying it to Jambo and Janie three times a day. I discontinue the acv treatments, not knowing if it would adversely affect the meds.

Jan. 16th - I call the vet concerned that the treatment is having no observable impact on the ringworm. We decide to give it one more week, and I ask about the acv. They say it should be fine to mix the two, so I begin treating both Jambo and Janie with acv in between the prescribed anti-fungal treatments.

Jan. 18th - Janie's spot finally looks like it's beginning to heal, with some hair growing back in the middle.

Jan. 20th - We notice a spot on Sashi. She's almost 20 months old and in excellent health. Over the next day, we find four spots on her...count em; one on her left foreleg, two on her right hind leg, and one smack dab in the middle of her back.

Jan. 21st - I make an appointment with the vet for the whole pack on the 23rd.

Jan. 23rd - I see that Janie and Jambo are definitely healing, growing a nice peach fuzz on their spots, so I cancel the vet appointment since the treatment does seem to be working...just ssslllooowwwlllyyy.

And that's where we stand today. Jambo and Janie continue to heal, but Sashi has got a long ways to go. The silver lining is Jill...she has yet to develop a spot...and she was the sickest and most emaciated of the two when we brought them home. The two humans and the two cats also remain ringworm free, so please knock on wood, cross your fingers, or whatever ritual you perform to keep that bit of good luck on our side. After the mange cleared up, I had started socializing the girls, which I put a halt to after Jambo caught the fungus...and now I'm worried about the dogs they were hanging out with. They were all friends' dogs, so I warned the owners and they're keeping an eye out in case I need to go pick up some meds for them (more wood knocking please.)

Meantime, Janie and Jill are almost seven months old and I know that their first heat is just around the corner. If the vet will let us, we'll probably go ahead and make an appointment to get Jill spayed, but Janie will have to wait until she's symptom free...we'll see if time wins that race. Other than the ringworm, they are both just as happy and healthy as can be. Their quarantine status is getting in the way of socialization, but I'm confident they'll pick up right where they left off after all this is over...and they've still got Jambo and Sashi to show them the ropes.

One big happy, if slightly bored, foster family:

Post Posted: Jan 27, 2017 8:44 am 
Pinecam Hall of Fame poster!
Aw, poor babies. :(

Neighbors Helping Neighbors

:go broncos:

Post Posted: Feb 11, 2017 7:37 am 
Pupdate 2/11: The ringworm battle continues. No new outbreaks, but it's taking FOREVER to heal. It is what it is.

Meantime, we took the little girls to the vet last week and had bloodwork done to see if they're healthy enough to get spayed. Janie's came out great, but Jill's showed low platelets. Not a big surprise with all the immuno-compromising stuff she's been through and I wasn't too concerned...she's not a bleeder and doesn't have bruises all over her body despite her rough and tumble lifestyle...but I took her back in anyways for more bloodwork and clotting tests. They came out fine and they now have appointments to be spayed on the 26th. HOORAY!! Prayers to the puppy gods that they don't go into heat before then.

They are such amazing, beautiful, intelligent, and resilient little creatures. Nobody could blame them for having serious attitude problems after everything that's happened to them, but all they want is to love and be loved, and play and be played with. I think we could all learn a lesson or two from them.

Sashi is still SuperFosterMama:

Counting down the days before they can come out of quarantine:

Little Jill aka Jilly Face aka Mrs. McJillicuddy (for the I Love Lucy fans):

Janie's Addiction:

Our Gang:

The barkometer says single digits tonight:

Post Posted: Feb 11, 2017 5:51 pm 
This update made me smile ear to ear. With all the crap going on in the world, it is nice to stop and smile at the doggies. What a couple of amazing pups you have to do this with. They are so sweet with the fosters. I could never do this, I would end up with all of them every time :)

Post Posted: Feb 11, 2017 6:32 pm 
Stratospheric Poster!
Stratospheric Poster!
That last picture is heartwarmingly adorable! :cloud9:

Post Posted: Feb 11, 2017 7:00 pm 
Active Pinecam Poster
Active Pinecam Poster
:groovin:

Great stuff! thanks for update. Great looking family!

Post Posted: Feb 15, 2017 11:03 pm 
Awesome news! Our rescue, Hope For Animals, got a grant for/from Wheat Ridge Animal Hospital. The girls are there right now, will be spayed tomorrow, and picked up by us on Friday. We've done everything we can to make sure they're healthy enough and ready for this surgery...really hoping everything turns out well. When I took them in, there were at least ten techs and a doctor hovering around them and soaking up the adorableness...I think they're in good hands...and I think our foster babies are going to be ready for adoption very soon. I could cry.

Post Posted: Feb 16, 2017 11:03 pm 
Completely forgot to post this here...sorry about that...I called and checked on the girls around 1:00 and they were resting comfortably after successful surgeries. My wife will be picking them up at 9:30. Can't wait to see them tomorrow morning. :)

Post Posted: Feb 17, 2017 12:19 pm 
The girls are home and sleeping it off. Gonna be fun trying to keep them calm the next several days. :)

Reply to topic  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next