It is currently Jun 18, 2019 12:56 am 

If you are looking for a new pet, click here for pets for needing adoption, rescue, or for sale.
Click here for lost/found pets and click here for pet related advertisements.

Image Rainbow Bridge page Image Add your fur baby here Image

Reply to topic  [ 132 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 11  Next

Previous topic | Next topic 

Post subject: Re: VET CORNER: Ask a local Veterinarian....
Post Posted: Jun 26, 2015 12:52 pm 
Infrequent Pinecam poster
Thank you all for your input on the insulin. I started giving her the injections again this morning.

Post Posted: Jul 7, 2015 11:48 am 
Pinecam Hall of Fame poster!
Hi guys! First of all, I wanted to let you know how much better Miko is feeling after her first teeth cleaning and having those two teeth out (especially the cracked one!). You have now made a believer out of me and not only is it good to have their teeth cleaned, but there are other things (like broken teeth) that cannot be seen that are important to monitor.

OK, now to my question. It is still about Miko and her hairballs. We have tried the "paste" stuff and she won't eat it (and this is a cat that will eat anything put in front of her :) ). I heard from a person at Monument Pharmacy (not officially heard, just what one of the women has tried with her cat) that food grade coconut oil has eliminated the hairball problem with her cat.

QUESTION: it that safe and if so, how much and how often? I'd like to give it a try if you think it is OK.

If you have a pet you wish to add to the Rainbow Bridge Site, please either post in the Pet Forum Rainbow Bridge Page viewtopic.php?f=85&t=78851 or PM me with pet names you would like them added. If you have others already there, please give me their names so I can add your pet with them.

Post Posted: Jul 7, 2015 12:34 pm 
We have trouble with all of our cats liking the standard hairball treatment. Our Vet has said that she has a couple of people who use coconut milk and get along fine with that. I bought some... couldn't get any of them interested in it. We have 4 very long haired cats so they HAVE to have something. They were all strays, and some are more cooperative than others, soooo here was my Vet's suggestion and she said all were safe: in addition to coconut milk, canned tuna in oil (I do about a tsp. about every other day - don't overdue or you'll have trouble on the other end of things if you get my drift) mineral or vegetable oil over there food - just a few drops each meal. Now having said that... it all depends on your cat and I have one that ate the tuna really well for the first couple of weeks, now he doesn't like it anymore and if any of them catch me putting anything in their food they won't eat it.... I have tried putting a few drops of mineral oil on the saucer before I open the can of food (before they're watching you ;) )... it's odorless so when you add canned food they usually don't notice it, just mix it in so that they get some of it. We have had diabetic cats on high protein food and they tend to "clump up" more than cats that eat less of a high protein diet but we all know cats are supposed to have more of a protein based diet... feed canned every couple of days with some mineral oil in it or something like that, but it has seemed like I have to do more with stuff I add, than when I just made them take the hair ball remedy... worst thing at our house is that the amount they all need is different, and WHAT they will eat is all different... if you just have one, things will be much easier for you, but the amounts is all trial and error. One thing our Vet did tell us was to NOT do meat fat, bacon grease (which they would love) but those types of things are bad for their liver and kidneys.

Post Posted: Jul 7, 2015 1:00 pm 
thanks for your thoughts and experiences.
Our cats are all very spoiled and get AvoDerm wet food which is sardines, tuna, crab, shrimp, etc in oils so she gets plenty of natural oils. We do not feed them any human food and we don't eat bacon or anything else that has high fat content.

that is so funny about them "watching you". I have to put a capsule supplement in one of my cat's food 2x day and a liquid med from Monument Pharmacy 2x week. He loves his avoderm food so much, he just sits there and waits for me to do my thing before eating. I am lucky with him :)

If you have a pet you wish to add to the Rainbow Bridge Site, please either post in the Pet Forum Rainbow Bridge Page viewtopic.php?f=85&t=78851 or PM me with pet names you would like them added. If you have others already there, please give me their names so I can add your pet with them.

Post Posted: Jul 8, 2015 12:12 pm 
Thanks Wily Fox! I think I need to try this AvoDerm. Do you buy it local? or from their web site?

Post Posted: Jul 8, 2015 3:27 pm 
petflow.com on a regular schedule. it ain't cheap, but between the 4 cats, they get 2 cans a day in the afternoon. otherwise, they have dry food whenever they want, also AvoDerm

Post Posted: Jul 8, 2015 4:01 pm 
Posts Semi-Regularly
Posts Semi-Regularly
best hairball remedy for us is good old Vasoline! Just a little dab (maybe 1/2 tsp or less) on the paw or upper lip. I've had 3 vets recommend it over Laxatone because it is cheap and just as effective. One cat loves it so much anytime he sees the jar of vasoline he meows and meows and can't wait for it, lol!

Post Posted: Jul 8, 2015 7:35 pm 
Hello, I'm sure this question has been asked before, but there are 41 posts! Awesome forum.

I have two male Colorado Mountain Dogs from the same litter about to turn 1 year old. They fight non-stop. The smaller male always starts the fights and gets the brunt of the injuries.

I know the first question is if they are neutered - their appointment is tomorrow.

So my question to you is, is there any hope of this procedure helping tame the aggressiveness and if so, how long should I wait to determine whether it works. I really love them both, but if I have to let one go, I will.

Any help?

Post Posted: Jul 8, 2015 7:51 pm 
This should help immensely on the aggression. I would also recommend Natalie for some training afterwards
http://friendsforlifeco.com/ . Natalie is well known around here and widely regarded.

Post Posted: Aug 1, 2015 5:49 pm 
Posts Semi-Regularly
Posts Semi-Regularly
I have a question for the vet about vitamin supplements for dogs.

My wife and I don't trust most dog food manufacturers (fully expect another wave of dog deaths sometime in the future), so we're considering making our own homemade dog food that we'll freeze in batches. Perhaps something like cooked hamburger, white rice and eggs. However, we'd like to supplement it with formulations of vitamins and minerals such as those found in canned products.

For people who want to feed their dogs homemade food, what do you recommend as a good vitamin/mineral supplement?

Post Posted: Sep 16, 2015 5:09 pm 
Posts pretty often
Posts pretty often
Goodness! I apologize for the delay in response to everyone! Starting with Mondo, Dr. Palmini recommends using the recipes of Dr. Richard Pitcairn for well-balanced homemade diets. There are multiple vitamins and minerals that dogs should have but based on the recipe, those amounts may vary due to different concentrations is the ingredients. And too much of some vitamins can be harmful. Here are some websites that may help:

http://www.amazon.com/Pitcairns-Complete-Guide-Natural-Health/dp/157954973X
http://www.drfry.biz/rich_text.html
http://www.drpitcairn.com/foods/

Mondo wrote:
I have a question for the vet about vitamin supplements for dogs.

My wife and I don't trust most dog food manufacturers (fully expect another wave of dog deaths sometime in the future), so we're considering making our own homemade dog food that we'll freeze in batches. Perhaps something like cooked hamburger, white rice and eggs. However, we'd like to supplement it with formulations of vitamins and minerals such as those found in canned products.

For people who want to feed their dogs homemade food, what do you recommend as a good vitamin/mineral supplement?

Post Posted: Sep 16, 2015 5:13 pm 
Posts pretty often
Posts pretty often
Hello Lisabeth0864! I do hope that we may have gotten back to you in time to help and apologize for the delay.

Neutering is a helpful step, surely, but often is not the full answer. Training, as Angela recommended, is also needed. A partnership with a good trainer can go a long way to correcting negative behaviors that may be based in fear or territorial in nature. Training can vary on how long it will take as each dog is an individual. And there are medications that can help but I find it is better for each dog to learn to live with the other. At the high end, a pet behaviorist may have more answers that can help.

I should also add that if it seems impossible for them to live together than separation may be the best solution.

lisabeth0864 wrote:
Hello, I'm sure this question has been asked before, but there are 41 posts! Awesome forum.

I have two male Colorado Mountain Dogs from the same litter about to turn 1 year old. They fight non-stop. The smaller male always starts the fights and gets the brunt of the injuries.

I know the first question is if they are neutered - their appointment is tomorrow.

So my question to you is, is there any hope of this procedure helping tame the aggressiveness and if so, how long should I wait to determine whether it works. I really love them both, but if I have to let one go, I will.

Any help?

Last edited by Sano on Sep 16, 2015 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Reply to topic  [ 132 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 11  Next