It is currently Jun 20, 2019 3:33 am 

If you are looking for a new pet, click here for pets for needing adoption, rescue, or for sale.
Click here for lost/found pets and click here for pet related advertisements.

Image Rainbow Bridge page Image Add your fur baby here Image

Reply to topic  [ 132 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Previous topic | Next topic 

Post subject: Re: VET CORNER: Ask a local Veterinarian....
Post Posted: Oct 31, 2015 7:16 pm 
Posts Semi-Regularly
Posts Semi-Regularly
I'll check her gums, thanks for that tip. I don't believe it's urgent, yet, and Deer Creek Animal Hospital has 24/7 emergency care, if necessary. Thanks

Post Posted: Oct 31, 2015 8:07 pm 
Pinecam Hall of Fame poster!
i wonder if you could just call the emergency vet now just to get their opinion -

Post Posted: Oct 31, 2015 8:52 pm 
Scanner Monitor
Scanner Monitor
Dehydration can come on quickly and cause kidney failure.

VRCC's phone number is 303-874-PETS. Their website is http://www.vrcc.com/ . They are just off 285, just east of Sante Fe.

If it was me, and my dog still wasn't taking anything in, I'd get to the ER right away.

It's kind of fun to do the impossible.

Be compassionate, understanding and kind. You never know who is
this close to giving up.

Post Posted: Nov 1, 2015 9:46 am 
any updates, afloater? how's your baby doing?

aspen creek is also an emergency place up pleasant park - - and they are cheaper than vrcc, not to mention not having to drive down the hill -

Post Posted: Nov 1, 2015 1:02 pm 
Posts Semi-Regularly
Posts Semi-Regularly
Thanks for checking, wildGoose2, plus the feedback from others. I kept checking on her during the night, and this morning she was much perkier, although still not wanting water or Pedialite. I finally started giving small quantities of a low-sodium organic chicken broth, figured it was liquid and a little nourishment. In the last hour, she's finally had a little water plus a bit of white rice with chicken broth. If that all stays down I'll try that again later with a little boiled chicken breast. The fact she wants to play now is a good sign. Good to know about Aspen Creek being emergency; I just found them last month. Still no idea what caused all this: it was like a 24-hour flu.

Post Posted: Nov 1, 2015 1:19 pm 
Scanner Monitor
Scanner Monitor
Sounds like she's well on the way to recovery! Chicken soup is a great idea. Boiled ground meat is also good with lots of water/broth in it. :D

It's kind of fun to do the impossible.

Be compassionate, understanding and kind. You never know who is
this close to giving up.

Post Posted: Dec 5, 2015 11:50 am 
Posts pretty often
Posts pretty often
We moved here 2 years ago and just this fall have been having raccoons on our deck, going after bird food. We were told they could transmit lepto to our dog via the dog's water from the raccoon's sloughing of the virus from their fur or urine. Websites from lower elevations say it is a problem, but we wonder if it is a problem up here. Should we vaccinate for lepto?

Post Posted: Dec 5, 2015 5:50 pm 
I found this article from this year about our area
http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/le ... ront-range

If you have a pet you wish to add to the Rainbow Bridge Site, please either post in the Pet Forum Rainbow Bridge Page viewtopic.php?f=85&t=78851 or PM me with pet names you would like them added. If you have others already there, please give me their names so I can add your pet with them.

Post Posted: Feb 29, 2016 5:47 pm 
Posts pretty often
Posts pretty often
Conifer Veterinarian Thank You For Looking.

We have a Morkie puppy who is itching a lot have taken her to a Vet we have seen 4 times it is not mites or mange. We have put her on gluten free diet, Wild Salmon base with Gluten free oatmeal.
Giving her also raw honey, coconut oil, and a pro biotic. Have tried oatmeal baths, and misting with 90% water 10% hydrogen peroxide. Skin on dog looks fine maybe a little dander
Meds we have tried so far, Dectomaxx injection, hydroxyzine pills, and Apoquel to no avail.
If anyone has a home remedy that has worked or if any vets are reading this please offer any suggestions. We have received many suggestions from PineCam community .
Here are some ideas please let us know which you think is the best choice.
camphor water mix mist
Lysol concentrate mist
Allyermel Shampoo with Cortasooth 1% Cort with 1% colloidal oatmeal.
MicroTek Shampoo and MicroTek mist both has active ingredient is Triclocarban.
Everyone has had success with all listed above...Camphor might be toxic. We are leaning to MicroTek. Any ideas would be great we are desperate THANK YOU!!!

Post Posted: Feb 29, 2016 8:43 pm 
I think you will find a veterinarian will not prescribe a treatment via a forum without evaluating your dog in person. Allergies are not something to muck around with and need a rigid plan to eliminate things one at a time. You have to be ready to get very detail focused and write everything down and follow instructions to a tee, IF you want to get to the root of the problem.

I am a client at Doc Palmini's office and after trying a few things, he referred me to Dr. Linda Messinger at VRCC. We went through rigorous schedule to eliminate and identify items in my cat's diet and enviornment. We determined it was not a food allergy but environmental. I then had her tested for allergies with a skin patch test, just like humans get, and she showed positive on quite a few trees and grasses and weeds in our area. She is currently getting "allergy shots" by me. I remain hopeful it works. I had success with a dog about 20 years ago.

If you have a pet you wish to add to the Rainbow Bridge Site, please either post in the Pet Forum Rainbow Bridge Page viewtopic.php?f=85&t=78851 or PM me with pet names you would like them added. If you have others already there, please give me their names so I can add your pet with them.

Post Posted: Feb 29, 2016 8:53 pm 
Posts pretty often
Posts pretty often
Actually this is for a friend of mine. I'll pass it on.

Post Posted: Mar 1, 2016 3:29 pm 
Posts pretty often
Posts pretty often
tim_gipe: Wily Fox is absolutely correct. We actually are not legally allowed to prescribe any treatment without first examining a patient for many reasons. You are also correct that camphor can be toxic, as is Lysol. It is best to avoid that at all costs. Many of the shampoos and such can help, for a time, but if it is truly an allergy condition (of which there are many) it is best to seek the advice of a veterinarian.
There are many treatment options for allergies these days; everything from oral medications to medicated shampoos, but they do require the owner's full commitment to the process. Pinpointing the source of allergens can be difficult and animals manifest allergy symptoms quite differently than people. Itchiness is only one factor.
Too many additives to a patient's normal diet or regime can also confuse the issue, making it harder to pinpoint the exact cause of allergies. Again, it is best to seek out help from a trusted veterinarian and start the process of elimination to get those allergies under control. Dr. Messinger is a fabulous dermatologist!

Reply to topic  [ 132 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next