It is currently Sep 19, 2018 1:29 am 

If you are looking for a new pet, click here for pets for needing adoption, rescue, or for sale.
Click here for lost/found pets and click here for pet related advertisements.

Image Rainbow Bridge page Image Add your fur baby here Image

Reply to topic  [ 132 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Previous topic | Next topic 

Post subject: Re: VET CORNER: Ask a local Veterinarian....
Post Posted: Mar 27, 2016 11:50 pm 
Whoa momma! A top Pinecam poster!
I would like to hear your (valued!) opinion re Rattlesnake vaccines for dogs.
Worth it for the extra time it may buy to get a dog to a vet? Or not effective enough to warrant the shots?
I keep liquid Benadryl and a syringe in a Canine 1st Aid kit. I'm 30 minutes away from the nearest vet - should the bite occur during "regular business hours".
I live in an area where a subspecies of the Western Rattlesnake, the Northern Pacific RS, is common. I understand the vaccine is derived from the venom of a Western Diamondback RS. What is the efficacy re other, close species?
Also, should I be more concerned about my geriatric dogs or a young pup when it comes to a rattler bite? Or is the bite site the primary indicator of injury?
I look forward to your thoughts.

Post Posted: Mar 29, 2016 6:57 am 
Posts pretty often
Posts pretty often
chef-gal wrote:
I would like to hear your (valued!) opinion re Rattlesnake vaccines for dogs.
Worth it for the extra time it may buy to get a dog to a vet? Or not effective enough to warrant the shots?
I keep liquid Benadryl and a syringe in a Canine 1st Aid kit. I'm 30 minutes away from the nearest vet - should the bite occur during "regular business hours".
I live in an area where a subspecies of the Western Rattlesnake, the Northern Pacific RS, is common. I understand the vaccine is derived from the venom of a Western Diamondback RS. What is the efficacy re other, close species?
Also, should I be more concerned about my geriatric dogs or a young pup when it comes to a rattler bite? Or is the bite site the primary indicator of injury?
I look forward to your thoughts.

The vaccine helps reduce some of the pain and swelling after a bite. It does not remove the need for vet care after a dog is bitten, but it can definitely buy you some time to get to a vet.

Below is information from Red Rock Biologics that manufactures the vaccine.
Crotalus Atrox Toxoid (rattlesnake vaccine for dogs) was developed to provide protection for dogs against Western Diamondback Rattlesnake venom. It is most effective against this snake's venom. Venom from many other snakes found throughout the United States is similar to the venom of the Western Diamondback Rattlesnake. Thus, this vaccine may also provide protection against the venoms of the Western Rattlesnake (including the Prairie, Great Basin, Northern and Southern Pacific varieties), Sidewinder, Timber Rattlesnake, Massasauga and the Copperhead.

The company gives a noncommittal answer regarding Northern Pacific varieties. Your best shot at getting a straight answer would be to ask a vet from the area where the species is endemic and has first hand experience.

Rattlesnakes usually give warming before biting. Young dogs are bitten more frequently because they tend to investigate even when the snake is rattling and trying to retreat.

Post Posted: Mar 29, 2016 9:09 am 
Infrequent Pinecam poster
Infrequent Pinecam poster
my dog's tummy is obviously bothering him. it turns pretty red. he doesn't have much hair there. and his skin should be a grayish-white. it doesn't look like he has a rash. it is just a dark pink. i have shampooed it and put on neosporin. i think it helps a little bit. my dog-trsainer, however, suggested sunburn from the sun reflecting on the snow and burning his tummy. do you think that is a possibility? and should i just take my dog to the vet?
thanks

Post Posted: Mar 29, 2016 12:42 pm 
Sano wrote:
chef-gal wrote:
I would like to hear your (valued!) opinion re Rattlesnake vaccines for dogs...

The vaccine helps reduce some of the pain and swelling after a bite. It does not remove the need for vet care after a dog is bitten, but it can definitely buy you some time to get to a vet.

Below is information from Red Rock Biologics that manufactures the vaccine.
Crotalus Atrox Toxoid (rattlesnake vaccine for dogs) was developed to provide protection for dogs against Western Diamondback Rattlesnake venom. It is most effective against this snake's venom. Venom from many other snakes found throughout the United States is similar to the venom of the Western Diamondback Rattlesnake. Thus, this vaccine may also provide protection against the venoms of the Western Rattlesnake (including the Prairie, Great Basin, Northern and Southern Pacific varieties), Sidewinder, Timber Rattlesnake, Massasauga and the Copperhead.

The company gives a noncommittal answer regarding Northern Pacific varieties. Your best shot at getting a straight answer would be to ask a vet from the area where the species is endemic and has first hand experience.

Rattlesnakes usually give warming before biting. Young dogs are bitten more frequently because they tend to investigate even when the snake is rattling and trying to retreat.

Thanks Doc! I appreciate your insight.

Post Posted: Mar 29, 2016 3:38 pm 
Posts pretty often
Posts pretty often
Hello there! We have a 14 yr old miniature horse. Our farrier recently discovered he had lice!! We were told to use Zimectrin paste and treat also with a Pymethrin (sp?) formula. We have given 2 doses of Zimectrin, 1 dose of Ivermectrin paste, and have drenched him with the Pymethrin formula twice. He has lost LOTS of hair, it is starting to grow back on his back at least. We thought maybe we were getting a handle on it. Yesterday I noticed him scratching his butt again and rubbing his chin on a stump. I went out and he is raw under his chin!! :((( Should it take this long to treat this, and do you think we are treating this correctly? We are really concerned, and the vet we called just said to use "Ultra Boss", which we cannot even find at any feed store. Thank you in advance!

Post Posted: Mar 29, 2016 4:27 pm 
Posts pretty often
Posts pretty often
sir baxter wrote:
my dog's tummy is obviously bothering him. it turns pretty red. he doesn't have much hair there. and his skin should be a grayish-white. it doesn't look like he has a rash. it is just a dark pink. i have shampooed it and put on neosporin. i think it helps a little bit. my dog-trsainer, however, suggested sunburn from the sun reflecting on the snow and burning his tummy. do you think that is a possibility? and should i just take my dog to the vet?
thanks

Skin issues can be challenging and often require diagnostics. So I agree that taking him to your vet would be the best course of action particularly if he is uncomfortable.

Post Posted: Mar 29, 2016 4:33 pm 
Posts pretty often
Posts pretty often
ddenise1 wrote:
Hello there! We have a 14 yr old miniature horse. Our farrier recently discovered he had lice!! We were told to use Zimectrin paste and treat also with a Pymethrin (sp?) formula. We have given 2 doses of Zimectrin, 1 dose of Ivermectrin paste, and have drenched him with the Pymethrin formula twice. He has lost LOTS of hair, it is starting to grow back on his back at least. We thought maybe we were getting a handle on it. Yesterday I noticed him scratching his butt again and rubbing his chin on a stump. I went out and he is raw under his chin!! :((( Should it take this long to treat this, and do you think we are treating this correctly? We are really concerned, and the vet we called just said to use "Ultra Boss", which we cannot even find at any feed store. Thank you in advance!

Please try this Q & A thread in The Barnyard forum dedicated to equine and large animals. Thanks!
viewtopic.php?f=111&t=60958

Post Posted: Apr 4, 2016 7:23 pm 
Posts pretty often
Posts pretty often
I have a 4 month old puppy eating dry kibble with perfect form to help with soft stool. Every so often he gets super excited after eating, running around, jumping on furniture, running on deck, etc. Really excited and crazy. When he gets like this he regurgitates his food. What causes the crazies after eating? How can we stop the regurgitation? Thanks

Post Posted: Apr 6, 2016 4:14 pm 
Posts pretty often
Posts pretty often
bighiker wrote:
I have a 4 month old puppy eating dry kibble with perfect form to help with soft stool. Every so often he gets super excited after eating, running around, jumping on furniture, running on deck, etc. Really excited and crazy. When he gets like this he regurgitates his food. What causes the crazies after eating? How can we stop the regurgitation? Thanks

The good news that he will grow out of this, but in the mean time the following can help.

The key is to slow down his eating so he doesn't end up running around with as much food in his esophagus.

Several ways you can do this:
1. Feed smaller more frequent meals throughout the day (i.e. 4 meals instead of two)
2. Spread his food out on a cookie to slow him down
3. Look at one of the local pet food stores for a food owl with separate compartments designed to slow down voracious eaters

With regards to minimizing the "puppy crazies":
1. The best option is to feed him in a large crate and allow him to remain in the crate for 15 minutes after eating to allow his food to settle from his esophagus into his stomach.

Post Posted: Apr 6, 2016 8:34 pm 
Posts Semi-Regularly
Posts Semi-Regularly
Speaking of loose stool....I have an 8 yo GS with frequent bouts of loose stool. I'm feeding her 1.5 cups of Natural Balance Synergy two times per day. Her weight is perfect and her coat is excellent. I recently added 2tbs of pumpkin per day. Any other suggestions? I know that this is a common problem for the breed.

Post Posted: Apr 7, 2016 7:43 am 
Posts pretty often
Posts pretty often
whybehave wrote:
Speaking of loose stool....I have an 8 yo GS with frequent bouts of loose stool. I'm feeding her 1.5 cups of Natural Balance Synergy two times per day. Her weight is perfect and her coat is excellent. I recently added 2tbs of pumpkin per day. Any other suggestions? I know that this is a common problem for the breed.

It is a common issue for the breed unfortunately but there can be a number of mitigating factors that lead to it. Sometimes it's just a simple diet change that's needed (due to food sensitivities) or adding in some long term medications but it can also be something more challenging such as irritable bowel syndrome. Pumpkin is a wonderful additive that can help but if the root cause of her recurrent diarrhea is not discovered it may return despite this. It would be advisable to seek out your family veterinarian for help if it does not resolve with the pumpkin. If she stops eating or drinking at any point she would need to be seen more urgently to combat dehydration.

Post Posted: Apr 7, 2016 8:28 pm 
Stratospheric Poster!
Stratospheric Poster!
Will you make house calls to Idaho? Free room and board!

:hugegrin:

Reply to topic  [ 132 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next