It is currently Jul 23, 2019 1:10 am 

If you are looking for a new pet, click here for pets for needing adoption, rescue, or for sale.
Click here for lost/found pets and click here for pet related advertisements.

Image Rainbow Bridge page Image Add your fur baby here Image

Reply to topic  [ 598 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47 ... 50  Next

Previous topic | Next topic 

Post subject:
Post Posted: Nov 6, 2012 12:22 am 
Whoa momma! A top Pinecam poster!
MammaCC wrote:
Hey Natalie! I have a question for you... My 7mo old Berner, Perry, sleeps in a crate at night. He is really good at letting us know when he has to go outside at night by giving a little howl/bark. Lately, he has been waking up and deciding he doesn't want to sleep in the crate any longer. He is giving me his "I have to go outside notification", but instead of having to go outside the little stinker refuses to go outside and then refuses to go back into his crate. I don't want to ignore the "I have to go outside", but then I also want him to stay in his crate (especially at 3am). I don't "trust" him yet to have free roaming in the house while the rest of us are sleeping. Any ideas? I try to lure him back into his crate with his favorite treats, but he won't have any of it and I end up pulling and pushing him in there and then feel bad for doing it...

7mo old? Yeah, he has you trained, he doesn't have to potty. Do not be fooled, he is working you pretty good. Be firm, crying dogs don't get let out of the kennel. Don't feel, bad. If you think he is ready you could set him up with a dog bed in your room and shut the door at night. He may just sleep through the night. If that is not some thing you can do then he will just have to deal. It is not an easy age and you may have to listen to him cry, bark and whine for a few nights to get past it. All my Aussies went through the same thing at that age. If you know he has gone out and done his "business" before bed then he is fine to sleep through the night.

"If you are kind, people may accuse you of selfish, ulterior motives; Be kind anyway." -Mother Teresa Of Calcutta

http://www.pinecam.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=20745

Post subject:
Post Posted: Nov 7, 2012 2:42 pm 
Infrequent Pinecam poster
Thanks for the input everyone!! Last night we let him cry it out in his crate and he was totally fine this morning. No accidents (which is always my worry if he cries out at night). I think everyone had it right in that he was playing us and is pushing his limits now. We'll keep taking it night by night, but now that I know he is fine when he gives out a cry we are going to just let him be. Thanks so much everyone!!

Post subject: Re: **FREE advice from a Local, Professional, Dog Trainer**
Post Posted: Feb 7, 2013 12:08 pm 
Posts Semi-Regularly
Posts Semi-Regularly
Hi Natalie! I hope you are feeling better. We have a 4 month old Aussie old English mix. I think we confused her on potty training and now she thinks she needs to pee in the house to get to go out. How can I fix this?

also have 72 pound 3 yr old Black Lab that jumps on people. He gets in trouble every time but it does not faze him.

Thanks so much!
Lisa

“Democracy was supposed to champion freedom of speech, and yet the simple rules of table decorum could clamp down on the rights their forefathers had fought and died for.”
¯ E.A. Bucchianeri, Brushstrokes of a Gadfly

Post Posted: Feb 7, 2013 12:26 pm 
MountainMomma2 wrote:
Hi Natalie! I hope you are feeling better. We have a 4 month old Aussie old English mix. I think we confused her on potty training and now she thinks she needs to pee in the house to get to go out. How can I fix this?

also have 72 pound 3 yr old Black Lab that jumps on people. He gets in trouble every time but it does not faze him.

Thanks so much!
Lisa

Much better, thanks!

You are going to have to anticipate her need to go out, as well as give her an easy way to ask you. If you are not already using "Doorbells" ( http://poochie-pets.net/poochiebells.html you can find these at Buster's Natural Pet Supply) for her you will want to start there. Put her back on a every hour schedule for potty breaks and limit her freedom in the home. Take her out the same way every time and ring the doorbells when you do. When she is outside tell her to "go potty" or "empty" and give her no other words. As soon as she goes praise her and bring her in. If she does not go potty right away, bring her in and confine her. Take her back out in 20-30 min, once she goes potty outside, she can have another hour of supervised "free" time in the house. If she wants to stay outside and play, let her be by herself. Keep an eye on her and if she goes potty without you open the door and praise her by bringing her in. If she is having frequent "accidents" in small puddles you may want to have her checked for a UTI.

I have several suggestions for dealing with dogs that jump on people, you will have to be more specific about the circumstances and the level of training your lab has had. It would also help to know what you have already done to curb the behavior.

"If you are kind, people may accuse you of selfish, ulterior motives; Be kind anyway." -Mother Teresa Of Calcutta

Post Posted: Feb 7, 2013 12:38 pm 
Pinecam Hall of Fame poster!
Pinecam Hall of Fame poster!
i have a question, Natalie,
i have a foster pom here now with me, and he marks a lot
i finally got a belly band for him and it's helping the house, but not the training - i watch him and get him out when i see he's starting to mark,
but my question is,

should this behavior subside on it's own after neutering? (this sunday is the day!) and if so, how long after surgery should the marking urge disapate?

Post Posted: Feb 7, 2013 10:11 pm 
wildGoose2 wrote:
i have a question, Natalie,
i have a foster pom here now with me, and he marks a lot
i finally got a belly band for him and it's helping the house, but not the training - i watch him and get him out when i see he's starting to mark,
but my question is,

should this behavior subside on it's own after neutering? (this sunday is the day!) and if so, how long after surgery should the marking urge disapate?

The marking is now a habit, one he developed as a result of being intact for long enough to want to claim territory. It is not a potty training issue, it is a territorial issue. He will stop marking when/if he feels it is no longer necessary. I suggest getting him a D.A.P collar to wear. http://vetmedicine.about.com/od/behavio ... Collar.htm you can find them online or local to buy. Also, much training and work in the obedience department. The more he feels like there is someone else in charge the less he will feel the need to mark.

Post subject: Attempting to start out right
Post Posted: Mar 30, 2013 1:13 am 
Natalie,
I read the first 12 pages of posts, then the last 5 pages......
First - Thank you sooo much for your assistance with our furry family.
Second - I am waiting on 'mama' to whelp my newest addition, an Aussie bred as a working dog. I am definitely a dog lover and have had several family members over my lifetime.

My question is: Can you advise any good books to read on Aussie (specific) puppy training/raising?
I adopted an Aussie about 25 years ago and really love the breed but feel I didn't do an adequate job in keeping her stimulated. I hope to do better this time.
Thanks again,
Ransom

Post Posted: Apr 23, 2013 8:39 pm 
Congratulations on your newest bundle of cuteness! I am sorry I didn't notice your post earlier. I have to get back into the habit of checking the thread daily LOL

I would recommend any of the Books from Dog Trainer Paul Owens : http://www.raisewithpraise.com/ his Non-violent, all positive motivational techniques are perfect for training herding breeds, especially an Aussie! Have fun and feel free to ask questions anytime. Also I provide the STAR Puppy Program Group class at Buster's, when she is 10 weeks or older she can join in!

Post Posted: Apr 23, 2013 10:33 pm 
Natalie,
Thanks, still waiting on mama to do her part. Should whelp mid-late May.
Will check out the site and order materials.

See you at Buster's in August.
Ransom

Post Posted: Apr 24, 2013 8:00 am 
I can't wait to meet him/her!! BTW, who is the breeder? I may not be able to resist a new baby myself...

Post Posted: May 14, 2013 1:26 pm 
Posts pretty often
Posts pretty often
Hi Nathalie,
We've spoken and met before - my puppy Pippy is almost 1 yr old now and attended your puppy class a while back. She's a cattle dog mix of some sort, possibly shepherd. She dropped out of puppy class because she got pretty car sick. That issue is starting to resolve itself as she gets older.
My question is about "leash aggression". She barks and barks , hackles up, lunging forward when she's on a leash and encounters other dogs on walks. If she's off leash, for instance at Evergreen dog park on the trails, and we encounter another dog she's very friendly and happy. This behavior is only when she's leashed. Do you have any advice on how we can help her out with her fear or leash aggression? We live in a rural area but will be seeing many more folks out and about while on our walks as the weather warms.

Post Posted: May 16, 2013 12:21 am 
WooooooooooHooooooooooooooo..............
New pups on the 14th. Waiting to see the pics.
Will have a new lil girl in 8-10 weeks.

Breeder is in TX, kinda NNW of Dallas. Silver is the mom.
http://cutnloosestockdogs.com/

Reply to topic  [ 598 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47 ... 50  Next