It is currently Sep 22, 2018 10:14 pm 

If you are looking for a new pet, click here for pets for needing adoption, rescue, or for sale.
Click here for lost/found pets and click here for pet related advertisements.

Image Rainbow Bridge page Image Add your fur baby here Image

Reply to topic  [ 597 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50  Next

Previous topic | Next topic 

Post subject: Re: **FREE advice from a Local, Professional, Dog Trainer**
Post Posted: Jul 14, 2015 11:36 am 
Whoa momma! A top Pinecam poster!
DaffyDick wrote:
We have a female Jack Russell Terrier who will be one year old next month. Despite every effort possible, she is still not housebroken.

She loves being outside in our enclosed back yard, and I let her spend a lot of time there. But, as soon as I bring her inside, she either pees or poops on the carpet. I somehow never catch her in the act when I can scold her, but rather find her deposits later.

When I happen to see her do her business outside, I go out of my way to praise her and tell her what a good dog she is.

It’s gotten to the point, where I just leave the carpet shampooer out, because I know I’m going to need it almost every day.

I’m at the end of my wits. What can we do?

I don't know what have been your efforts, but dispite what you have been doing I highly recommend you go back to square one.

you will have to treat her like a new puppy, reduce her access to the house giving her a small place inside and close to the door you want her to use. You will need to take her out every 2 hours, if she does not go potty she gets put back in the small area. If she does she can have 15 min ONLY of play in the house. She can of course stay outside as long as she wants. Every day you are successful without any accidents you can add 15 more of free time and reduce the amount of time she is in the small area by 15 min. Also, if she has an accident she is put in the small area NOT outside. If she is being put outside when she has an accident she may be using going potty inside as a way to be let outside, its called reverse house breaking. While you are in this process, take the time to use an enzimatic cleaner on the carpet and get it really clean. You can use a black light to find areas you have missed.

THis process can take a week to a month depending on the dog. Also, if you have not, I would suggest you give her some door bells http://www.wikihow.com/Potty-Train-Your-Puppy-Using-a-Bell

You can find "potty bells" at any store selling pet suplies, locally try Healthy Pet.

Good Luck!!

"If you are kind, people may accuse you of selfish, ulterior motives; Be kind anyway." -Mother Teresa Of Calcutta

http://www.pinecam.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=20745

Post Posted: Aug 11, 2015 2:50 pm 
Active Pinecam Poster
Active Pinecam Poster
Help! We adopted an 8yr old male malamute mix from a shelter in January to keep our 10 yr female lab company. We lost our 13 yr old male last summer and she was just miserable being alone. The new guy was an owner surrender and now we know why. He's a sweet guy but just incredibly stupid. Doesn't seem to have received any training of any kind at all. Ever. Knows no basic commands. We've been working with him and he was doing a good job of following our female's lead. He was starting to figure things out when she died unexpectedly in June. Since then he's forgotten everything we've taught him to the point where he doesn't know how to go to the bathroom outside. At all. We let him outside, he stands at the door. We go outside with him, he just stands on the deck. We go out into the yard with him, he just stands there. We've gone back to the beginning and are crate training him. But even that isn't working. We came home from work today and he pooped and pee'd in the crate. Mind you he'd only been in there 4 hours. When our female was with him he could go 10 hours without making a mess. Probably because he'd pee when she'd pee or poop when she pooped. Now he just stands at the door because he's too stupid to figure out what he's supposed to do.

We're done. Over it. Ready to take him back to the shelter. He's already destroyed our hardwood floor. How can a dog totally forget how to go to the bathroom?!?! Honestly, we are looking for the first free weekend when we can take him back to the Larimer Humane Society. If it didn't require us driving to Ft Collins, he would be gone already. Since we can't take him back for another 3-4 weeks, I'm hoping you can offer some guidance here. He's got 3 weeks to show some improvement or that's it.

Post Posted: Aug 13, 2015 8:04 am 
Your dog has not forgotten anything. I know you are frustrated, it is not easy dealing with these situations. Please consider letting me come over to do a full evaluation so I can get the best idea of where to start with him. These cases often have underlying issues that need specific management.

Give me a call 720-272-1668

"If you are kind, people may accuse you of selfish, ulterior motives; Be kind anyway." -Mother Teresa Of Calcutta

Post Posted: Aug 13, 2015 9:52 am 
Active Pinecam Poster
Active Pinecam Poster
I will give you a call. I'm not ready to give up on him yet. He's a really sweet guy with a great disposition, good with kids, cats and other dogs. The poor guy has been through a lot this year and that is causing a lot of his issues I'm sure. But we've got to get the training/potty issues under control.

Post subject: Delilah
Post Posted: Oct 15, 2015 9:01 am 
Active Pinecam Poster
Active Pinecam Poster
Hi Natalie!

You helped us train our rescue Border Collie/Chow mix (on Nova Road) a couple years ago, and we appreciated that -
she is about 4 or so now, and all of a sudden she won't go for walks - in the past, we have walked her 2 or 3 miles a day, and now she just sits down and won't go. Any ideas? Thanks -
Maureen & Steve

Post Posted: Oct 15, 2015 9:08 am 
Pinecam Hall of Fame poster!
Pinecam Hall of Fame poster!
Hi, Im not Natalie but I did stay at a Holiday ...

No, I didnt do that either.
I just read your post and the first thing that popped in my head is, is she hurting?

Maybe a physical is in order to see if she has achey hips or knee issues?

Im sure Natalie will be around shortly to help you out. :)

Post Posted: Oct 15, 2015 9:39 am 
Active Pinecam Poster
Active Pinecam Poster
I don't think so - she just had her annual vet appt, and everything seemed ok........
and she races around the house and yard like a crazy thing, so I don't think thats it, but thanks

Post Posted: Oct 15, 2015 8:35 pm 
Did anything happen on a walk with her? Bad experience in any way? Have you tried a new location, get her out of her old areas and some new scenery. Other then that, respect her wish and don't take her for a walk. Go without her a few times and see if she changes her mind about it. Also, what are you using for walks? What kind of leash, collar, harness?

Post Posted: Oct 16, 2015 8:42 am 
Active Pinecam Poster
Active Pinecam Poster
retractable leash, martingale collar..same ones we've used for years...
she will sometimes walk around our property...but won't go on the road..
most times can't even get her out of the garage..
she seems to be afraid of cars and trucks going by us..sometimes she used to leap at them if they got too close, but now even if she hears one coming from far, she balks and sits..and pulls to turn around..

Post Posted: Oct 16, 2015 9:08 pm 
Ok, I am going to suggest new place to walk that is quiet amd away from traffic. Also, a new leash and a harness, http://www.freedomnopullharness.com just a regular 6 ft leash. When you take her to a new place let her take her time to sniff out the area the first time. Take her favorite treats and reward her for walking with you. :) Let's see if we can change her mind about walks.

Post Posted: Oct 17, 2015 10:05 am 
Active Pinecam Poster
Active Pinecam Poster
we'll try, thanks for the input!

Post Posted: Oct 17, 2015 1:49 pm 
Active Pinecam Poster
Active Pinecam Poster
Hi Natalie
Sophie, our 8 year old Newfie/Golden mix (Goofie) has started ignoring me when I call her. She hears me and if I start walking toward her she will suddenly pay attention but otherwise, if she is across the yard etc. she just totally ignores me.
What can I do to retrain her to come? Never had a problem before.

Reply to topic  [ 597 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50  Next