It is currently Jul 15, 2018 2:52 pm 

If you are looking for a new pet, click here for pets for needing adoption, rescue, or for sale.
Click here for lost/found pets and click here for pet related advertisements.

Image Rainbow Bridge page Image Add your fur baby here Image

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Previous topic | Next topic 

Post subject: FOUND! Yes, there IS a "PET LAUNDROMAT" in Our Area!!!!!
Post Posted: May 12, 2018 1:14 pm 
Whoa momma! A top Pinecam poster!
UPDATE: Thanks for all your great suggestions! I have talked to the fine folks at CANYON TACK & FEED, they are going to clean my dog beds for me tomorrow. So relieved that I won't need to discard perfectly good doggie beds! :multi: :man doing twist: :girl twist: :kewl:

Hi All,

My dogs went outside and got into "Something". It was really, really gross and I wasn't aware of the mischief until they came into the house and vomited in (not one) but TWO of their beds. I know what it was that they ate but I won't share it here because it is too gross to burden your minds with the details! Just know that this is really, REALLY bad - the worst thing I've ever seen dogs do and I've been a dog lover for 60+ years! :yikes:

I was able to surface clean the mess, but these beds need a machine washing. Normally, I don't mind washing their beds in my home washer and dryer, but that is because it isn't normal for them to soil their belongs in this extremely disgusting way! I can assure that I DO NOT want these bed covers in the same washing machine where I wash our clothes, kitchen linens, sheets, and towels.

And considering that I am unable to cope with the idea of washing these items in my personal laundry machine, I can't in good conscience take them to a commercial laundromat and clean them in machines that are intended to wash ordinary household laundry with unsuspecting folks coming in to do their family's clothes!

So I am wondering if there are businesses in the local area with machines that wash animal laundry? I don't know of any place like this, but if I could find one, I'd rather pay to have my pet laundry washed than discard two very expensive dog beds.

ALSO!!! Is there a way to clean the orthopedic foam mattresses that fill the dog beds? I'm afraid that if I wash the foam, it will just tear up in the machine and possibly damage the machine. But in all honesty, the expensive foam mattresses are dirty, too.

Any recommendations will be appreciated! Thanks so much for any suggestions you can give!

~Linda~

"The Framers of the Constitution knew that free speech is the friend of change and revolution. But they also knew that it is always the deadliest enemy of tyranny. "
~Hugo Black~

Last edited by Rubicon on May 13, 2018 3:09 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Is There a "PET LAUNDROMAT" in Our Area????
Post Posted: May 12, 2018 3:20 pm 
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Location: in a state of gratitude (well, I try to be anyway...)
You could call some vets or boarders and see if they have a commercial cleaner they use.

I've experienced some pretty disgusting stuff on dog beds too. I typically clean them in my tub, using my feet as agitators. I use regular laundry soap and sometimes add some baking soda. Sometimes I let it soak over night. If it's skunky then I add vinegar to the rinse water. Hang it outside to dry.

The foam is the expensive part so sometimes I throw the cover away and sew a new one, but save the foam. I also wash the foam pad in tub in a similar manner. Rinsing is the tough part. To dry it I place dog towels on the deck and then put the pad on the towels. Walking on it helps some.

Good luck and thanks for not giving the yucky details.

Post Posted: May 12, 2018 4:11 pm 
CooknThyme wrote:
You could call some vets or boarders and see if they have a commercial cleaner they use.

I've experienced some pretty disgusting stuff on dog beds too. I typically clean them in my tub, using my feet as agitators. I use regular laundry soap and sometimes add some baking soda. Sometimes I let it soak over night. If it's skunky then I add vinegar to the rinse water. Hang it outside to dry.

The foam is the expensive part so sometimes I throw the cover away and sew a new one, but save the foam. I also wash the foam pad in tub in a similar manner. Rinsing is the tough part. To dry it I place dog towels on the deck and then put the pad on the towels. Walking on it helps some.

Good luck and thanks for not giving the yucky details.

Thanks for the suggestions! After all these years, you'd think I would have lost the "yuck" factor, but this one is giving me "issues". Maybe after doing some of the things you are suggesting, I'll be more comfortable giving it a "last wash" in my machine. I have a "sanitary cycle", so maybe it'll be OK.

FYI - I did find a local tack shop that does horse laundry. When I called them, they said they'd do my dog beds for $10.00 each (or more, depending on how bad they are). Canyon Tack & Feed in Kitteredge. http://canyontackfeed.com/

"The Framers of the Constitution knew that free speech is the friend of change and revolution. But they also knew that it is always the deadliest enemy of tyranny. "
~Hugo Black~

Post Posted: May 12, 2018 4:32 pm 
Pinecam Hall of Fame poster!
yeah, that is the attitude! get it done! take them outside and do a thorough wash with a hose and then you are just washing the beds (I am sure with bleach anyway :) ) and running the sanitize cycle is a perfect way to clean the machine afterwards

and oh ... you best get out there and find the source of what they got into or else they will do it again and this time you might not have such a good outcome (dogs survive). most likely a kill by lion or bear and you don't need them hanging around a place that will be protected to the death.

Just how you wanted to spend your Saturday, eh?

If you have a pet you wish to add to the Rainbow Bridge Site, please either post in the Pet Forum Rainbow Bridge Page viewtopic.php?f=85&t=78851 or PM me with pet names you would like them added. If you have others already there, please give me their names so I can add your pet with them.

Post Posted: May 12, 2018 4:33 pm 
or maybe just toss them and start again? yuch

here are some good prices and one has waterproof cover

https://www.groupon.com/browse/denver?l ... cale=en_US

If you have a pet you wish to add to the Rainbow Bridge Site, please either post in the Pet Forum Rainbow Bridge Page viewtopic.php?f=85&t=78851 or PM me with pet names you would like them added. If you have others already there, please give me their names so I can add your pet with them.

Post Posted: May 12, 2018 5:25 pm 
Wily Fox aka Angela wrote:
yeah, that is the attitude! get it done! take them outside and do a thorough wash with a hose and then you are just washing the beds (I am sure with bleach anyway :) ) and running the sanitize cycle is a perfect way to clean the machine afterwards

and oh ... you best get out there and find the source of what they got into or else they will do it again and this time you might not have such a good outcome (dogs survive). most likely a kill by lion or bear and you don't need them hanging around a place that will be protected to the death.

Just how you wanted to spend your Saturday, eh?

or maybe just toss them and start again? yuch

here are some good prices and one has waterproof cover

https://www.groupon.com/browse/denver?l ... cale=en_US

Thanks Angela! I'm looking for new dog beds, but I would like to also keep the ones I have as well. One for each dog in different areas of the house. If I don't supply plenty of legitimate places to lounge, they take matters into their own paws and create beds out of laundry, pillows or whatever else they find! :doh:

As for knowing the source, we have already found it. It will be an ongoing problem and requires regular clean-up because the neighborhood bears have identified our yard as a place to do their "business". We don't mind if they stay outside the dog perimeter, but they are getting closer and closer to the house and some days, we find piles uncomfortably close to the house. In any case, we've started telling the dogs to stay out of it and so far, they seem to be complying. To be honest, I think they learned their lesson because it didn't make them feel very well at all.

~Hugo Black~

Post Posted: May 12, 2018 7:14 pm 
bears mostly eat vegetation but will take advantage of eating carrion. The good news is that they do not defecate to mark territory. Normally that is done by clawing trees, etc. Since they roam a larger territory, it is interesting they are using the same "bathroom". I have never heard or read about that behavior. I will continue to look

Also, bears almost ALWAYS avoid dogs, so it is interesting that they are around your home at all.

Post Posted: May 12, 2018 7:30 pm 
bears mostly eat vegetation but will take advantage of eating carrion. The good news is that they do not defecate to mark territory. Normally that is done by clawing trees, etc. Since they roam a larger territory, it is interesting they are using the same "bathroom". I have never heard or read about that behavior. I will continue to look

Also, bears almost ALWAYS avoid dogs, so it is interesting that they are around your home at all.

Our dogs are indoor pets and are never out without us. The bears appear to come at night when we are all asleep in our house because we don't normally see them. A few times, we've seen a bear come through in early morning or late afternoon. We've had a LOT of bears in our yard over the years - once, a bear totaled a car that we had parked outside.

We never leave trash out, and the car that was torn up was clean, empty and locked. There are no bird feeders in our yard to attract them. We do have a tumbling compost bin, but it is odor-free and no bear has ever showed an interest in our compost. The car incident actually motivated us to build a garage to keep our cars in. The only thing I can figure out is that this is a "thoroughfare" for passing through. We have seen a lot of bear poop during the 22 years that we've lived here, but this year, there is more of it and closer to the house than in years past.

I don't mind them passing through but I do wish they'd leave their poop somewhere else. I went out today and all the poop has been picked up, so I guess my husband took care of it. It's just TOMORROW that will be a problem again. I'm thinking of getting one of those wildlife cameras to show us exactly what goes on during the night. The strange thing is that even though we see lots of evidence, we don't actually see them come through - which is strange because we are night owls and are often up as late as 3 AM.

~Hugo Black~

Post Posted: May 12, 2018 8:07 pm 
I got this one and it is easy to use and takes decent pictures. I have looked for years and never bought one because of cost. You need to buy a couple of memory cards. This link shows the card you need (and then you'll need a reader to plug into your PC to download the images. but for a hundred bucks, it is afforadable
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01 ... UTF8&psc=1

Post Posted: May 12, 2018 11:37 pm 
I have the solution for you...Take them to the car wash, clip them on the car mat clips and hose them down with the soapy water then rinse. If you want, when the soap is on them, take them off the clips and scrub some Oxyclean on them, then rinse. I've used those laundry mat clips for all sorts of stuff. Good Luck

₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪

Post Posted: May 13, 2018 12:06 am 
bdogsgal wrote:
I have the solution for you...Take them to the car wash, clip them on the car mat clips and hose them down with the soapy water then rinse. If you want, when the soap is on them, take them off the clips and scrub some Oxyclean on them, then rinse. I've used those laundry mat clips for all sorts of stuff. Good Luck

Thanks! I didn't know that the car wash has clips! :)

~Hugo Black~

Post Posted: May 13, 2018 1:17 pm 
Posts Semi-Regularly
Posts Semi-Regularly
Busters in conifer $17 they provide shampoo towels dryer and brushes can't beat that deal

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next