It is currently Nov 13, 2018 1:18 pm 

If you are looking for a new pet, click here for pets for needing adoption, rescue, or for sale.
Click here for lost/found pets and click here for pet related advertisements.

Image Rainbow Bridge page Image Add your fur baby here Image

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 

Previous topic | Next topic 

Post subject: Replacing Invis Fence that runs under asphalt drive
Post Posted: Jul 4, 2018 2:50 pm 
Whoa momma! A top Pinecam poster!
Well, here's one for folks who have experience pulling wire. My Invisible Fence has been in place for over 20 years and occasionally a critter will step on or chew a wire, so we get it repaired. Well, we had two separate technicians come out for hours over the past two days and put a lot of effort into locating the breaks. Fellow #1 could only find one small break and fixed it, but fence was not operational. So fellow #2, much more experienced, came out yesterday and fixed two other things, but now informs me that he can't get a signal at the top of the drive and can't seem to find the line that leads to and away from our drive.

The line under the drive is sleeved in PVC, in a trench, with about 6" go gravel/road base and I'm not sure how much asphalt on top. WE did this 10 years ago when we paved the drive/ I am told the only thing IF can do is to cut another narrow trench in our drive, splice in a replacement line, and then fill the crack. This sounds to me like it would fail in a couple of years especially that is where our snowplow fellow enters.

Any ideas? Call Utility Locate? Crawl around in the duff myself and fine where the line enters and exits, and give it a good yank to see if it pulls through? I honestly doubt that a line that has been well shielded for so many years would all of a sudden break in the past couple of weeks. We've had no heavy truck activity, certainly no snow, and our mowing team knows to stay well inside the flags that are in turn, inside the fence perimeter.

There's gotta be a less intrusive way than digging up the drive. Thoughts? We have a temporary surface line that runs across the drive but the UPS guy could hook that backing out in a New York minute. Thanks in advance.

Post subject: Re: Replacing Invis Fence that runs under asphalt drive
Post Posted: Jul 4, 2018 8:40 pm 
Prolific Pinecam Poster
Prolific Pinecam Poster
You say " he can't get a signal at the top of the drive and can't seem to find the line that leads to and away from our drive." That would lead me to believe there is a break/interruption in the signal somewhere before the drive way.

what tool do you use to pick up this signal? Use this tool starting at the transformer (or whatever generates the signal) and follow it toward the drive way, when you lose the signal start digging there.

Post Posted: Jul 4, 2018 10:38 pm 
Pinecam Hall of Fame poster!
Pinecam Hall of Fame poster!
if the wire is running through a PVC pipe you should be able to dig on each side of drive and find the PVC pipe, cut and pull the wire through, repair and splice and pull it back through and splice it on other iend.

If you have a pet you wish to add to the Rainbow Bridge Site, please either post in the Pet Forum Rainbow Bridge Page viewtopic.php?f=85&t=78851 or PM me with pet names you would like them added. If you have others already there, please give me their names so I can add your pet with them.

Post Posted: Jul 5, 2018 5:05 am 
Thanks, folks. This seemed straightforward to me. I agree that the break is likely before or after the line enters/exits the pvc.IF uses this device that looks like a dousing rod but we have used an AM frequency radio in the past. Thanks, didn’t think we needed an elephant gun to kill a mouse.

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ]