It is currently Aug 19, 2019 6:58 pm 

If you are looking for a new pet, click here for pets for needing adoption, rescue, or for sale.
Click here for lost/found pets and click here for pet related advertisements.

Image Rainbow Bridge page Image Add your fur baby here Image

Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Previous topic | Next topic 

Post subject: Bad Bark Box treats? (updated to "Bella's IBD")
Post Posted: Feb 24, 2019 1:59 pm 
Scanner Monitor
Scanner Monitor
Our Boxer started getting lethargic Friday afternoon, refused her dinner and Saturday breakfast, and vomited five times while waiting for the vet apointment that morning. The day before, we had given her a couple of new treats from Bark Box. I don't remember the full name of the treats but it contained the word "Berry". Steve took the package with him. We get the boxes for dogs with allergies.

The vet said she was reacting to ingredients like:

Onion powder
Bacon
Pork
Egg (?)

I am really surprised! Has anyone else had this? I will be contacting the company to let them know.

It's kind of fun to do the impossible.

Be compassionate, understanding and kind. You never know who is
this close to giving up.

Post subject: Re: Bad Bark Box treats?
Post Posted: Feb 24, 2019 2:44 pm 
Stratospheric Poster!
Stratospheric Poster!
Hoping your pup recovers quickly.

I'm surprised a dog food company would put onion powder in dog treats. I thought onions were toxic to dogs.

Post Posted: Feb 24, 2019 3:08 pm 
Whoa momma! A top Pinecam poster!
I thought so too.

Post Posted: Feb 24, 2019 3:54 pm 
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Oh my, Big Time poster!
I'm surprised by that as well. We also get bark boxes! Their customer service is awesome! I don't have to worry about allergies but my Aussie Shepard loves to destroy but also wants his squeakers so I had to go with the in between non-destructable toys! They love their Bark boxes!

Post Posted: Feb 24, 2019 5:20 pm 
Scanner Monitor
Scanner Monitor
Mine, too! Every time any kind of package comes into the house, a cookie is demanded. This rule has now been extended to "every time Steve comes home". :lol:

We looked at the ingredients for other treats. The Peanut Butter Pops look fine, but the other two had something in them. Unfortunately, we threw them away before noting exactly what they were. Two of the three long, pepperoni shaped chews that we had had a bad ingredient.

this close to giving up.

Post Posted: Feb 24, 2019 6:51 pm 
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Oh my, Big Time poster!
I hope your fur baby is recovering.

Onion is toxic to dogs. And everything else in that same family including garlic which shows up in lots of dog food/treat.

I'm going to get on my soap box now. Here's something that the average vet doesn't even know.

Most (but not all) dogs are allergic to fowl (chicken, turkey, duck, etc.), especially the larger breeds. This includes eggs. But almost every brand of dog food has a fowl flavor of some sorts and even the mammal & fish options often have eggs in them anyway. Read the labels.

Fowl allergies symptoms are not usually dramatic. They are typically subtle and can mimic other conditions. Symptoms include itchy skin, running eyes/nose, waxy ears, mood/behavioral problems, various gut issues including IBS and occasional vomiting.

Food allergies (in pets and people) causes chronic inflammation which leads to a multitude of diseases and significantly shortens life span.

I HIGHLY recommend having your pet tested for food allergies, especially fowl (and grains). But if you can't afford the test (it's crazy expensive ~$500) then err on the side of caution and avoid all fowl and their eggs.

Post Posted: Feb 25, 2019 11:29 am 
Scanner Monitor
Scanner Monitor
I didn't realize that. I've always heard it's usually wheat or corn, too.

I think you are on to something. We were directed to feed Bella baked chicken with broth, adding rice as she got better. Yesterday morning she was much better, and eager to eat. We spread her breakfast out over three servings, one every two hours. Around 3:00, though, she crashed, again - totally lifeless. When she almost started to vomit again, Steve got her to VRCC. Her heart and lungs were fine, an x-ray showed that everything was fine (just a smaller than normal kidney), blood work was fine. She got antinausea medication and IV fluids, but still no change this morning. She still has no interest in food, and is very lethargic.

So, it may or may not have been the treats, but some of them do have ingredients dogs shouldn't have.

I've glanced at headlines talking about reading food and treat labels. I already knew how to do that, so I never read them. I trusted the brand and reviews. My knowledge was badly outdated!

this close to giving up.

Post Posted: Feb 25, 2019 5:03 pm 
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Oh my, Big Time poster!
I am saddened to hear about your pup. Those situations are so hard to deal with.

Most people know that chocolate is very bad for dogs. Some day soon it will also be common knowledge that when it comes to dogs "fowl is foul."

You are right wheat and corn are bad for them too. Especially if they are GMO and over 90% of corn grown in the US are GMO.
Soy and peanuts are bad choices for dogs too. The jury is still out on other legumes.

The only "grains" that seem to be okay (from my research anyway) are oats and for some dogs a small portion of brown rice or quinoa should be okay.

When my dog won't eat, I offer him home made bone broth (grass fed: beef, lamb or bison). This will often stimulate an appetite. I'll then offer some cooked ground beef/lamb or a little bit of cooked cod or salmon. If your Bella is used to grains then you can try some oatmeal too.

I always have bone broth on hand as he gets some with every meal. But be VERY CAUTIOUS of commercial bone broth as it is almost always made with onion.

If my dog has has been vomiting I'll make a slippery elm tea with bone broth and that will usually sooth his tummy (almost as good as pepto, but a lot safer). It is thick and slimy, but he likes it okay. If he refuses it then I use the syringe just like you would with pepto.

Good luck. Hope Bella recovers quickly.

Post Posted: Feb 25, 2019 5:23 pm 
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Oh my, Big Time poster!
I am sorry to hear that your poor dog is so sick. I am sure that the vet checked, but did they mention Pancreas? It just sounds like the symptoms we came across a few times at the clinic. Hope she gets better soon.

Post Posted: Feb 26, 2019 8:33 am 
How is Bella today? I am glad she got to VRCC, they are the best. Please let us know when you can post. Praying for the lovely girl!

Post Posted: Feb 26, 2019 9:18 am 
Scanner Monitor
Scanner Monitor
She is on her way back to the vet right now to spend the day. We must not know the whole picture yet. Hopefully, today will bring better news.

this close to giving up.

Post Posted: Feb 26, 2019 9:47 am 
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Hope the vet can determine what is going on.
Wishing Bella a speedy recovery.

Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next