It is currently Jun 17, 2019 10:50 pm 

If you are looking for a new pet, click here for pets for needing adoption, rescue, or for sale.
Click here for lost/found pets and click here for pet related advertisements.

Image Rainbow Bridge page Image Add your fur baby here Image

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Previous topic | Next topic 

Post subject: Dog Jumping Fence - Looking for Solution
Post Posted: Mar 3, 2019 11:57 pm 
Prolific Pinecam Poster
Prolific Pinecam Poster
Our one year old dog has learned that he can jump well and is now leaping over our 4" fence.
Any ideas on what to do?
Anyone up here do this kind of work?
Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Dog Jumping Fence - Looking for Solution
Post Posted: Mar 4, 2019 1:56 am 
Active Pinecam Poster
Active Pinecam Poster
Our fence is 6 foot (we have escape artist huskies). We have 3 rows of electric cattle wire. Low voltage and solar powered, but enough shock to keep them off the fence, but not hurt them. It only takes one or two times touching the wire with a paw for them to learn that the fence is a no no.

Post Posted: Mar 4, 2019 6:35 am 
Posts pretty often
Posts pretty often
We used "Invisible fence" one style we used was the bury the wire type. It worked great until the wire broke underground. Then we went to the box that allows a radius around the box. This worked better because we could take it other places. A collar goes on dog, when it gets close to boundaries it makes a beeping noise. If they get closer it starts to shock them. It intensifies as the dog gets closer to boundaries. There are different size collars for different sizes of dogs. It took most of my dogs a week to fully understand. White flags come with kit for visual purposes. Pretty easy to train.

Post Posted: Mar 4, 2019 9:00 am 
Whoa momma! A top Pinecam poster!
I’ll vote for Invisible Fence as well. We had the wire laid on top of the ground and the grass and duff quickly grew over it. Our system has been in for 25 years and only now needs replacement. I have an acre fenced and it cost me about $600 not including transmitter or collars. I have hunting dogs and when they spot a critter they can follow their nose but after a week they all knew the perimeter of the property and only rarely do they get out of the yard.

The downside of such a system is if an unleashed, uncontrolled dog gets onto your property there could be trouble. But otherwise it is a very good system.

Post Posted: Mar 4, 2019 9:41 am 
Posts pretty often
Posts pretty often
I might add that if the batteries fail, the dogs easily walk off the premises. Happens all the time around here with the neighbors dogs.

Post Posted: Mar 4, 2019 9:47 am 
Scanner Monitor
Scanner Monitor
With an invisible fence, if a dogs break out despite a shock (I can see a husky doing this), I assume there is a second shock when they come back home?

I've been fortunate enough to have dogs who never realized they could easily jump over our gate. If they discovered that, I would temporarily put out a long, retractible leash anchored to something until I could figure it out. Not one of those tie outs made of narrow, plastic covered cables or chain, but a 1" wide leash made from leash like material that's easlier on the dog or you if a tangle happened. You have to be sure they couldn't jump over anything while on a tie out, though.

That worked on several of my dogs their whole lives to just go out to the dog bathroom area on a tie out. I walked them quite a bit in addition so they could git more physical and mental exercise.

However, 1" leashes are easy for a big dog to chew through.

It's kind of fun to do the impossible.

Be compassionate, understanding and kind. You never know who is
this close to giving up.

Post Posted: Mar 4, 2019 10:14 am 
No offense to other pine cammers, but I hate invisible fensces. Infact, if when following up on new adoptions froml Golden Retriever Rescue: if the owner(s) have installed an invisible fence, the dog will be confiscated.

One of my Goldens was a jumper when he was young. We have a rail fence around the yard.
1. We nailed additional posts 3 feet high to the vertical rails.
2. Then we stapled chicken wire to each of the 3 foot posts.
3. We also tied long ribbons to the chicken wire so our dog could see the chicken wire was there.
4. At each gate (we had 2 installed), we lean 2 long handled shovels from inside the yard.

He has never attempted to jump over the fence or over the gates since. Now that he is approaching his senior years, he still could not jump even if he wanted to.

I hope this helps.

Post Posted: Mar 4, 2019 10:35 am 
Pinecam Hall of Fame poster!
Pinecam Hall of Fame poster!
I plucked a golden retriever out of the middle of 285 one morning on the way to work. Their power had gone off and the fence died. Luckily chipped, but the owner was in Kansas on business.

I have taken neighbor's dogs back home after they walk out of their invisible fence.

It takes work and persistence to find the right solution(s).

Training can also help. Natalie is a local favorite https://www.friendsforlifeco.com/

If you have a pet you wish to add to the Rainbow Bridge Site, please either post in the Pet Forum Rainbow Bridge Page viewtopic.php?f=85&t=78851 or PM me with pet names you would like them added. If you have others already there, please give me their names so I can add your pet with them.

Post Posted: Mar 4, 2019 1:20 pm 
Stratospheric Poster!
Stratospheric Poster!
I know a few people that put up electric fence, one line at the very top of the fence, usually used for livestock. It took only one or two times of being touched and their dogs never tried to jump the fence again. So they kept the wire up, but never had to turn it on again.

Post Posted: Mar 4, 2019 6:04 pm 
Posts Semi-Regularly
Posts Semi-Regularly
If you do the invisible fence, your dog might not be able to get out but anything can get in...

Post Posted: Mar 4, 2019 6:52 pm 
Posts Semi-Regularly
Posts Semi-Regularly
I had an invisable fence but occasionally the hound would take off after a rabbit or something and would run through the shock area. The problem was when he tried to come home he would get shocked when he got near the invisable fence. He would then go to the neighbor and howl until they would call me to come and get him. An electric fence on top of a containment fence worked. A dog seldom jumps the entire fence but hits the top wire and then over. The eletric fence works great.

Post Posted: Mar 4, 2019 7:08 pm 
Posts Semi-Regularly
Posts Semi-Regularly
I had this problem years ago, and I put up the hotwire...took one zap, and she never jumped again. Took it down after a week. I didn't enjoy it, but it's better than your dog getting hit by a car or lost. Maybe you could even borrow one.

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next