It is currently Jan 24, 2020 4:36 am 

If you are looking for a new pet, click here for pets for needing adoption, rescue, or for sale.
Click here for lost/found pets and click here for pet related advertisements.

Image Rainbow Bridge page Image Add your fur baby here Image

Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Previous topic | Next topic 

Post subject: Alaskan Malamute
Post Posted: Apr 17, 2006 10:25 am 
Prolific Pinecam Poster
Prolific Pinecam Poster
We are hoping to buy a puppy in or around the month of August. We have done a lot of research on the Alaskan Malamutes, and are interested in finding a reputable breeder. Has anyone purchased an Alaskan Malamute from a breeder? Anyone have any suggestions? Thank you!

Post subject:
Post Posted: Apr 17, 2006 10:32 am 
Active Pinecam Poster
Active Pinecam Poster
http://www.malamuterescue.org/colorado/
all dogs need a good home. Good luck

Post subject:
Post Posted: Apr 17, 2006 10:57 am 
Pinecam Hall of Fame poster!
Pinecam Hall of Fame poster!
What a terrific choice and I am jealous!

Our family raised a Malamute from a puppy, and we enjoyed seventeen great years with her. The loyalty to the owner and the comradery were the two prevalent traits we noticed, and ours was never one to bark or even howl, unless provoked hard enough.

Two things you need to know about the Thoroughbred, though these are prevalent in many large breeds:

<a href=http://www.cah.com/dr_library/hipdysp.html>Hip Dysplaysia</a>
Hereditary, so if you have access to generations of your bloodline, check the parents for the rear leg strength and stance. Walking using both legs at the same time is a red flag. running that way is not, unless the run turns into a stiff arthritic look.

Diabetes- not as common, but still something to research. It can be managed so a dog that is doted upon can still be happy and active.

When you bring her home, share pictures and good luck!!!!

Post subject:
Post Posted: Apr 17, 2006 11:03 am 
Posts pretty often
Posts pretty often
I have had Malamutes for over 20 years. I got my last 2 from Snowy River Malamutes in Erie. She had a website. I'm not sure if she still does.

You can also contact Polaris Alaskan Malamute rescue, which has a website.
http://www.malamuterescue.org/polaris/shelters.shtml.

There is also a Malamute club here in Denver with several breeders.
Here is the Alaskan Malamute club of America website.
http://www.alaskanmalamute.org/amca/index.asp.

Malamutes are wonderful dogs, but you have to be sure this breed will work for you. They are very headstrong and you have to be the boss.

Good luck!

Post subject:
Post Posted: Apr 17, 2006 2:26 pm 
Prolific Pinecam Poster
Prolific Pinecam Poster
Thanks for all the info so far. We have done a lot of research on this breed, so we mostly know what we'd be getting ourselves into! From what I have read, Alaskan Malamutes are fine with other pets as long as they are properly socialized. Any owners/previous owners that can attest to this? We would like to have two dogs, though we'd likely only start with one. Thanks again!

Marley

Post subject:
Post Posted: May 3, 2006 2:15 pm 
Whoa momma! A top Pinecam poster!
8O

"If you are kind, people may accuse you of selfish, ulterior motives; Be kind anyway." -Mother Teresa Of Calcutta

http://www.pinecam.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=20745

Last edited by Natalie on Jun 14, 2006 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
Post Posted: May 3, 2006 3:07 pm 
One of the best ways to see if a breed is right for you is to foster one first. I'm speaking from experience. I fostered a specific breed dog before I adopted one. If you prefer a pup, many rescues & shelters get pregnant dogs as well, and you'd be giving a dog a chance. Worth checking out the Colorado Malamute rescue site... http://www.malamuterescue.org/colorado/ and good luck finding your forever friend!

Post subject:
Post Posted: May 3, 2006 3:12 pm 
New Poster
I beg to differ with Natalie. I was raised with Malamutes (my parents bred them) They were some of the best dogs that I have ever known. My sisters favorite agility dog was a 3 yr old male that we had gotten from the Humane Society. I have pictures of my siblings and I sitting on my parents red male who weighed in at 140 when we were all under 4. We were never bitten none of our dogs ever got into fights with other dogs, even when my parents got a breeding pair of Great Pyrenees the males never fought. I have been around the breed for 20+ years and never had a problem with them. I have had more problems with the Healers, Border Collies, and Australian Shepard's that I have owned. You can't single out a certain breed of dog for aggressive behavior.

Post subject:
Post Posted: May 3, 2006 3:27 pm 
;)

"If you are kind, people may accuse you of selfish, ulterior motives; Be kind anyway." -Mother Teresa Of Calcutta

http://www.pinecam.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=20745

Last edited by Natalie on Jun 14, 2006 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Malamute
Post Posted: May 3, 2006 11:13 pm 
Active Pinecam Poster
Active Pinecam Poster
I have to agree with you, Natalie. The Alaskan Malamute breed is not a breed that I would recommend for a first time dog owner. They can be wonderful dogs but most require a great deal of work to get them to that point. I speak from experience too...I have been a dog trainer for 17 years, kennel Manager of Denver Dumb Friends League and supervisor of Boulder Animal control. I have seen and evaluated many, many Malamutes. Yes, they can be wonderful dogs but all you have to do is walk through an animal shelter and take a look around at all the "Northern breeds" waiting to be adopted and you'll begin to see the difficulty owners have dealing with the problems. Potential owners just need to know what they may be faced so they can deal with issues as they come up. If you are still interested in purchasing one, I would recommend going on the AKC website to locate a Malamute breed club in Colorado. They should be able to give you a reputable breeder, as well as the pros and cons to the breed. Remember, every breed has pros and cons and a reputable breeder WILL discuss both sides with you.

Post subject:
Post Posted: May 4, 2006 8:46 am 
Prolific Pinecam Poster
Prolific Pinecam Poster
Not sure if you are just making a comment about first time dog owners, but I am not one of them. My last dog was a chow chow, so I'm very familiar with stubborn and disobedient dogs. She was definitely a friendly dog, but she had a mind of her own! I was warned by so many people that she would "turn on me" when she got older. The closest she ever got to biting was when she was old and blind and would take your finger along with her treat. 16 years and that dog never showed any signs of aggression.

Thank you for all the advice so far. The problem with fostering a dog is not knowing their background. Dogs can be shaped as puppies, and if the previous owners did not know how to train or socialize that dog as a puppy, then that will not give me a good indication of what the breed is really like. I am a believer that dogs who are given up are generally the owners fault. Unless a dog is "not right in the head", they should be trainable. People can disagree with me about this, but that's just what I believe. Many people don't do enough research before buying a pet and do not realize the challenges of raising certain dogs. I'm not going into this blind.

No, an Alaskan Malamute is not a Golden Retriever...they are not easy to train. I am up for the challenge and will work with this dog to ensure that he/she grows up to be a family pet. I am not one to just give up and bring the dog back.

Post subject:
Post Posted: May 4, 2006 9:40 am 
New Poster
It sounds like you would be the perfect fit for a Malamute. I love the breed and if was to get another dog I would get one. Unfortunately my parents have been out of the breeding business for a couple years now and I don't know of any other Malamute breeders in the area or I would have recommended one.

Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next