It is currently Nov 20, 2018 5:24 pm 

If you are looking for a new pet, click here for pets for needing adoption, rescue, or for sale.
Click here for lost/found pets and click here for pet related advertisements.

Image Rainbow Bridge page Image Add your fur baby here Image

Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Previous topic | Next topic 

Post subject: Hypothyroidism in dogs
Post Posted: May 12, 2006 10:17 am 
Active Pinecam Poster
Active Pinecam Poster
One of our boxers, the oldest one, Didi, has just been diagnosed with hypothyroidism. I have noticed that she seems a lot more sluggish lately and has put on about 9 pounds since last year's check up at the vet. Our holistic vet says she sees this a lot. I have read a little bit of info on it via the internet. Our vet is sending us thyroid supplements to start her on. She eats a premium kibble. Anyone else have to give their dog thyroid supplements for this condition? Paula

Post subject:
Post Posted: May 12, 2006 10:23 am 
Stratospheric Poster!
Stratospheric Poster!
I give my dog thyroid meds. He's not sluggish, nor overweight, but his coat was bad and he has allergies and gets cortisone shots and takes prednisone spring thru fall. The thyroid meds have helped his coat and maybe he would be overweight if he didn't take them.

Post subject:
Post Posted: May 12, 2006 10:31 am 
Active Pinecam Poster
Active Pinecam Poster
Pacamom, So he does okay on the medication? I think the vet said we have to bring Didi back to her office in 6 to 8 weeks to get another blood draw on her to see if the medication has improved her thyroid panel? Does that sound about right to you? Are there bad side effects that dogs can have from medication they give to correct the thyroid? Paula

Post subject:
Post Posted: May 12, 2006 10:40 am 
Scanner Monitor
Scanner Monitor
We had a dog on thyroid supplements for about 4-5 years. She was a mixed breed, mainly shepherd with weight about 55 pounds. She had no problems with side effects. The follow up testing in about 2 months sounds ok but then later it's usually annual testing. Be sure to clarify with your vet the time space between your dog taking the medicine to the time of the blood draw for the follow-up test. Our dog was about 11 years old when the problem first appeared and she just died a couple of weeks ago at almost age 16.

Post subject:
Post Posted: May 12, 2006 10:47 am 
Stratospheric Poster!
Stratospheric Poster!
I agree about the 2 month time frame. The vet needs to make sure they are either giving enough or not too much. Ask a human on thyroid meds how hard it is sometimes to get it just right....
After that it is annual. I haven't heard anything bad about the meds and they do have natural thyroid supplements out there.
After my first prescription from the vet - I transfered it to an online pharmacy. Way cheaper and my vet had to sign off on it. (They tried to match the price, but just couldn't). At least they tried.

Post subject:
Post Posted: May 12, 2006 10:48 am 
Active Pinecam Poster
Active Pinecam Poster
Yeah, we were kind of taken aback I guess a little bit when the vet called. I knew Didi was getting kind of old (will be 7 in November) and boxers have such a short life span. I have read 8 to 10 years, but I have heard of them living until around 11 to 12 years of age. We just want to make sure they have any and everything they need to live the longest they possibly can. Paula

Post subject:
Post Posted: May 12, 2006 12:24 pm 
Posts Semi-Regularly
Posts Semi-Regularly
We had a golden on thyroid medication the whole time he was with us -- about 8 years (he was a rescue dog). He had a weight issue and it helped get the weight off and keep it off. I don't remember if he had to have a blood test 2 months after, but he did have one every year with his annual. I don't know of any side effects - he did great on it. The last couple of years they had a "treat" version but he was so conditioned to have spoonful of peanut butter with his pill that we just kept giving it to him that way. Otherwise he would nag and nag for his "dessert."

I know its upsetting to hear that your baby has something wrong and has to take medicine, but it truly was no big deal for our guy. I wouldn't worry about it.

Post subject:
Post Posted: May 12, 2006 12:26 pm 
Active Pinecam Poster
Active Pinecam Poster
I just got the pills in the mail from the vet just a little while ago and Didi has already taken her first one. So far, so good. Paula

Post subject:
Post Posted: May 12, 2006 1:24 pm 
Posts pretty often
Posts pretty often
We just started our dog on thyroid medication a little over a week ago. The only side effect my vet said we might see is hyperactivity in which case the dosage would probably be too high.

In just over a week I can see that our dog is more active - more like himself. So far so good. We go back for a 2nd blood test in June to verify the dosage is correct.

Post subject:
Post Posted: May 12, 2006 6:38 pm 
Active Pinecam Poster
Active Pinecam Poster
Both of our dogs are on thyroid meds. They do fine. One is also diabetic and takes two shots a day. It shouldn't be a problem.

Post subject:
Post Posted: May 12, 2006 9:27 pm 
Active Pinecam Poster
Active Pinecam Poster
Just picked up thyroid pills for my German Shepherd today at the vet. Expensive little pills. For 100 pills (give two a day) it cost $47.00. I need to get her on my prescription insurance!!! :yikes:

(But she's worth it!)

“You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view . . . until you climb into his skin and walk around in it.” Atticus Finch

Post subject:
Post Posted: May 12, 2006 10:04 pm 
Posts pretty often
Posts pretty often
Boy, seems like a lot of us have our pets on thyroid meds. Hope this isn't the newest "vet thing". Had a vet once that was obsessed about diabetes in cats. Every cat that came in was evaluated for diabetes. The vet was getting grant money to study it. Won't mention names, but HE practices up here and has for a LONG time.

Maybe diagnosis is just getting better. In the olden days, would a vet even have considered thyroid in our dog? Don't know, just seems like a lot of canines with thyroid problems lately. I first responded on the "blood test" thread in the pets forum.

My dog does seem to be feeling better, but beginning to wonder? My pills are also much less expensive EJD. And I only give 1 per day.

Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next