It is currently Nov 20, 2018 8:34 pm 

If you are looking for a new pet, click here for pets for needing adoption, rescue, or for sale.
Click here for lost/found pets and click here for pet related advertisements.

Image Rainbow Bridge page Image Add your fur baby here Image

Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Previous topic | Next topic 

Post subject:
Post Posted: May 12, 2006 10:45 pm 
Prolific Pinecam Poster
Prolific Pinecam Poster
Our oldest Husky (also a diabetic) is on thyroid meds. Of course I think we paid something like $26 for a 3 month supply, so the cost you talk about seems a bit high to me. He has been taking them for about a month and his blood levels for thyroid are now in the normal range. Before that they were way low. The only thing that I've seen is that he has lost a bit of weight, mainly because by getting the thyroid levels back, it speeds up the metabolism, and at about 11 years, he doesn't eat like he used to. Of course, his energy levels seemed to have picked up and he seems like his old self again, so from what I can see everything looks good!

Post subject:
Post Posted: May 13, 2006 6:44 am 
Scanner Monitor
Scanner Monitor
EJD, our pills also were considerably less than your quote, more like 14 dollars or so for 2 months, and part of that was a minimum $8.00 fee for any prescription from our vet.
I'd double check with the vet as to whether you got some billing error but if that's their price consider using a mail order pet med source with your vet's prescription. Thyroid supplements have been around for a long time and they're usually very inexpensive. Unfortunately I destroyed the medical records last weekend for my dog after she died a few weeks ago or I could quote exact prices.

Post subject:
Post Posted: May 13, 2006 6:48 am 
Stratospheric Poster!
Stratospheric Poster!
I paid about 35.00 for 1000 pills. 0.5 mg over the internet

Post subject:
Post Posted: May 13, 2006 7:05 am 
Active Pinecam Poster
Active Pinecam Poster
We paid $31.00 for 120 pills that will last us 2 months. Our holistic vet charged us 7.50 (included in the total) for shipping and handling. Otherwise it would run us about $12.00 a month for these pills that Didi takes twice a day. We will probably just go over and pick them up (she is located in Simpsonville, KY) most of the time. However, depending on price of gas, it could be cheaper for her to send them through the mail! Hopefully, once the dosage is straightened out, we will be able to buy them from her in bulk to last us several months at a time. Didi seemed quite frisky last night--usually she is sleeping pretty sound after suppertime. Maybe they are perking her up a bit! Paula

Post subject:
Post Posted: May 13, 2006 8:28 am 
Posts Semi-Regularly
Posts Semi-Regularly
Our Am. Eskimo also has been on thyroid meds for years....is actually quite common in dogs...as in humans, and you're right-it's diagnosed with blood test (so I don't think it's a diagnostic "fad" as one poster was concerned about although always good to question...). It also helped our dog-kept weight optimal. She also has been diagnosed with Cushings Disease and bad hips, but despite all-she is as spry as a puppy at 12 years of age. Our vet recommended a blood test 2 months after starting as well to measure the thyroid level to make sure it was at right dosage and then again in 6months to make sure and then we've been doing it annually with her senior profile and checkup. Good luck to all that have those "hypo" dogs.....sounds like the meds have been effective! Best part is keeping that weight off....if dogs get too heavy, it's very hard on their joints (esp. our seniors).

Post subject:
Post Posted: May 13, 2006 9:07 am 
Active Pinecam Poster
Active Pinecam Poster
Our holistic vet told me she sees this a lot. She said it is linked to over vaccination, although I have read articles where it says it can be genetic (in the blood lines of the dog) and steroid shots and pills also can play a part in it. We used to get Didi vaccinated yearly here in Indiana (before we knew better) and a conventional vet we used here in Indiana always gave Didi predisone/cortisone shots and pills for a red itchy ear and feet Didi always get in the spring. We don't do any of that anymore, but apparently maybe it is too late. Paula

Post subject:
Post Posted: May 13, 2006 9:20 am 
Stratospheric Poster!
Stratospheric Poster!
I would rather get the steroids and thyroid meds than see what my dog goes thru without. He is a dalmatian that literally turns pink from allergies in the spring and summer. Pink all over.

I should add the pink is from scratching, chewing, rubbing, anything to try and stop the itch.

Post subject:
Post Posted: May 13, 2006 9:57 am 
Active Pinecam Poster
Active Pinecam Poster
Yeah, I think some dogs are just really really bad with the allergies and they do need a little help. Our youngest boxer, Duke, is sort of that way and so far we have been lucky to keep him off the steroids although it has been close a time or two. He gets it really really bad all underneath on his belly usually starting in June and going until things get cold here usually October. So far we have been lucky to keep him comfortable enough with salves, Aveeno bath treatment and oil massages with essential oils and other calming skin treatments. He also takes a natural supplement too. We have been very lucky with him so far and every year at this time we keep our fingers crossed. Paula

Post subject:
Post Posted: May 14, 2006 10:31 am 
Active Pinecam Poster
Active Pinecam Poster
Our lab was diagnosed with this problem about 3 years ago. We still lived in Conifer at the time and our vet was Dr. Gurney at Aspen Park Animal Hospital. He recommended Nature-throid, it is apparently all aspects of the thyroid and a more natural form. We still give this to him every day and he does quite well. Our vet here in Montana contacts him every two years when it runs out and they exchange blood tests so that he can continue to stay on the same pills. Our vet checked on getting the pills but since she never ordered them before it was about $250 per bottle :yikes: ! So that's why we go through Dr. Gurney,apparently he orders more and gets them for around $90 per bottle which lasts just over 2 years.

beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy
of such devotion." Unknown

Post subject:
Post Posted: May 15, 2006 12:16 pm 
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Oh my, Big Time poster!
2boxerdogs wrote:
Yeah, we were kind of taken aback I guess a little bit when the vet called. I knew Didi was getting kind of old (will be 7 in November) and boxers have such a short life span. I have read 8 to 10 years, but I have heard of them living until around 11 to 12 years of age. We just want to make sure they have any and everything they need to live the longest they possibly can. Paula
Hope Didi gets 'fixed' & things go well 2bd... You are correct in the life span. Our chet would still be here if it weren't for cancer - there was nothing else wrong with her. She was 11 years & 4 months.

When we were looking for our current Boxer, a breeder in Denver who has had Boxers for over 30 years, said, "With a Boxer, anything over 10 years is a bonus..." Our vet looked at us like we were nuts when we said we got another Boxer, but what can I say, we just :love: the breed!

I'll check my herbal guide tonight & see if I can find anything for you too! :)

Post subject:
Post Posted: May 15, 2006 3:30 pm 
Active Pinecam Poster
Active Pinecam Poster
Hi RMHigh!! I once watched an episode of Emergency Vets a long while back where a very, very sick boxer (6 years old, I believe) with cancer (seemed to be in it's spine or around there) was put to sleep. The attending vet referred to our beloved boxer breed as "tumor factories". That was pretty unsettling to hear and it just about broke my heart, although deep down I know it may be true. We personally know of one boxer (Sugar Ray) who lived back in our subdivision that had cancer at age 4, but was able to live until 11 and 1/2 years old. He developed another tumor they think in his spleen and he was put down as it was affecting his respiratory system. I pray that all of our boxer babies are able to beat the "C" word, it is just so troubling to think about. I try not to think about it too much, although I know sometime down the road, I might have to.

Didi, we think, is perking up some, but she has a ways to go in order to be able to keep up with our youngster, Duke! Hope Palmer is doing well!! Paula

Post subject:
Post Posted: May 15, 2006 4:35 pm 
Scanner Monitor
Scanner Monitor
Best of luck to you 2B's - We have a boxer mix at age 8 and sure hope she has more than two years left.

Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2