It is currently Feb 16, 2020 6:58 pm 

If you are looking for a new pet, click here for pets for needing adoption, rescue, or for sale.
Click here for lost/found pets and click here for pet related advertisements.

Image Rainbow Bridge page Image Add your fur baby here Image

Reply to topic  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Previous topic | Next topic 

Post subject:
Post Posted: Aug 24, 2006 8:33 am 
Whoa momma! A top Pinecam poster!
This is a sad affair, but it is unlikely that the Chinese are going to change there way of life because the eccentric Americans think that they should. For example...

In India the cow is a sacred animal, they are appalled that we slaughter them at a rate that we can not even keep up with, we don't even come close to consuming all the meat that is provided on a daily basis by our own meat market. Yet the people of India don't look down on us or petition against our government. They accept that it is part of our society. And if you think that these cow are treated humanely or slaughtered humanely, just ask a cow on the feed lot. Being bred for food for another is never a happy means, but it is a noble one. PETA has been known for blowing things out of proportion to get a rise out of people to bring them together for a cause, they are not against boldface lying to get what they want and will justify this behavior with "but it is for the animals" Yes, but lets be realistic... stopping unneeded slaughter is one thing, but are we those who are the pot calling the kettle black??

"If you are kind, people may accuse you of selfish, ulterior motives; Be kind anyway." -Mother Teresa Of Calcutta

http://www.pinecam.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=20745

Post subject:
Post Posted: Aug 24, 2006 9:25 am 
Active Pinecam Poster
Active Pinecam Poster
Then let's just forget about this topic then and just accept that this is their culture and that it's "ok"

Post subject:
Post Posted: Aug 24, 2006 1:09 pm 
Scanner Monitor
Scanner Monitor
Natalie wrote:
This is a sad affair, but it is unlikely that the Chinese are going to change there way of life because the eccentric Americans think that they should. For example...

In India the cow is a sacred animal, they are appalled that we slaughter them at a rate that we can not even keep up with, we don't even come close to consuming all the meat that is provided on a daily basis by our own meat market. Yet the people of India don't look down on us or petition against our government. They accept that it is part of our society. And if you think that these cow are treated humanely or slaughtered humanely, just ask a cow on the feed lot. Being bred for food for another is never a happy means, but it is a noble one. PETA has been known for blowing things out of proportion to get a rise out of people to bring them together for a cause, they are not against boldface lying to get what they want and will justify this behavior with "but it is for the animals" Yes, but lets be realistic... stopping unneeded slaughter is one thing, but are we those who are the pot calling the kettle black??

Natalie- your kidding right?

If you look at the signatures on the first petition or read the articles on some of the sites- there are voiced opinions from all over north America, south America, and all the European countries. Humane Society International has activists there now. Has nothing to do with "American only". I don't believe that Peta staged any of the photos I've seen for propaganda reasons.
Cows are given a bolt to the brain.
They are not beaten with clubs,or hung from trees, or skinned alive.
As grisly as it sounds a gas chamber would be more humane than the current mode of "culling "- the rabies threat.Or a bullet to the brain. Of all people- you have shocked me. I sit in the evening with my 2 dogs and I couldn't even fathom a mob with clubs swinging into my driveway with the intent of killing. They'd have to get thru me first and I keep a good supply of ammo. Not all of the citizens of China agree with this or are participating in this.There are some under the threat of retaliation that are appealing to the world-imploring the help from other countries to make their own govt stop this type of torture as a solution.The 10 year old boy that screamed "don't my dogs have rights, too?" as the mob drug his 2 German Shepard's out the front door to the nearest tree. It's too haunting not to be involved...

Post subject:
Post Posted: Aug 25, 2006 10:21 am 
Your message

Subject: Say NO to mass dog slaughter in China

was not delivered to:

Beijing.Office.Box@mail.doc.gov

because:

Error delivering to Beijing Office Box; Router: Database disk quota exceeded

This is the message I got as a result of sending the petition and My letter. hope that some of the letters got through.

So what I am referring to is the references to the fact that some of the Chinese use dogs for food, they cant vaccinate an animal that is intended to be used for food. For the ones that were used as pets, how is the government to know the difference? I am in no way condoning the practices of slaughter and I in no way condone the practices of slaughter in our own country. Killing is wrong and as a result of those feelings I have been a Vegetarian for 13 years now. The cold hard facts are that on a whole Europe and the U.S. kill way to many animals for the consumption , In China they have so many people that live in such squalled conditions and as a result they have to deal with The Bird Flu, and such.. all I am trying to say is it in our place to tell the Chinese government how to care for it's Billions of people? My question is... Was this a one time action on that part of the government, or is it an on going slaughter to wipe out all dogs in the country of China?? It was my understanding that this was done and the some 50,000 dogs were killed and are gone. All we see is the worst of the worst, that is PETA's job. If there were this many dogs killed the web sites have shown the smallest part, it is an assumption on our part that all the dogs were killed inhumanely or with out reason, doesn't China keep dogs the same way that we keep cows? Wouldn't it stand to reason that most of the dogs were from these "feed lots" for lack of a better name? Remembering that too, many people in those areas of China raise dogs for food to sell and would not want those dogs destroyed, because of the loss of income? Please, if there is a way to stop any type of needless killing then I am all ears, but lets stop it here first, because I hate to look like a hypocrite.

"Cows are given a bolt to the brain.
They are not beaten with clubs,or hung from trees, or skinned alive. "

In some cases, but the lives that they lead before their deaths are less than dignified. Not all are killed in the way you have stated, some (most) still are bled to death.

I am not here to jump on a bandwagon. I am not prone to believe every thing that the media puts out if I was then I would have believed that 20,000 people were killed in hurricane Katrina. Or that our own government blew up the Two Towers on 9-11 or that all Pit Bulls are killing machines.

Is there a realistic solution to this problem?? First, we have to convince an entire population that they need to change their eating habits... :whistle:

"If you are kind, people may accuse you of selfish, ulterior motives; Be kind anyway." -Mother Teresa Of Calcutta

Post subject:
Post Posted: Aug 25, 2006 10:44 am 
Oh and I almost forgot...

Here is our own State a few years ago several hundreds in not more Pit Bulls and look alike died at the hands of the Government our Government...not because they might infect any one with a horrible disease but because they "Might be dangerous", all of them were pets. There talk about needless killing... They are still banned and still being killed on a daily basis here in Colorado, just because of their breed no other reason. Then if you add all the other States that saw a reason to ban the breed then add together those numbers, we may just get to 50,000 ourselves. It is easy to point fingers at others, but what if the finger is pointed back at you, how do we justify our own killing? In protection of our citizens? Most of the people here don't agree on the decision to BSL yet it stands. There is also the fact that 1000's of pets are killed every day just because they don't have homes. I hope that you see I am looking at a bigger picture, I want to see all the killing stopped, but i have to do what I can here in my own area. I'll sign any petition that is for the control of animals through vaccinations and spaying, hoping that it will make a difference. And that is the reason I believe as a nation that we are the Pot calling the Kettle Black...

Sorry, I just can't say enough and I feel that after awhile I am sure that I'm not stating anything that any one here doesn't agree with or haven't felt on their own.

Post subject:
Post Posted: Aug 25, 2006 12:20 pm 
Posts pretty often
Posts pretty often
Natalie wrote:
Oh and I almost forgot......

While all of the numbers you mention here may be true, it is unlikely that great numbers of pets/dogs are being beaten to death in the U.S.

1st AD USAEUR '88-90

Post subject:
Post Posted: Aug 25, 2006 1:12 pm 
Active Pinecam Poster
Active Pinecam Poster
Perhaps because China's population is so HUGE that they have resorted to eating anything and everything they can. I am allowed to be appalled by what they do in their country without expecting it to change.

Post subject:
Post Posted: Aug 25, 2006 3:03 pm 
Scanner Monitor
Scanner Monitor
Agreed Natalie several good points.

However PETA is not the only website with info on this CNN.com has followed this- as well as Humane Society International.There are several above and beyond PETA.

A second "cull" (I hate that as a description) was scheduled for Aug. 6Th outside Shanghai with all the uproar over the first one things aren't clear if it was allowed to proceed. This time a 3 mile radius around the city with 500,000 dogs.
Yes they are euthanizing pits- a bit different then death by bludgeoning, hanging, or crude electrocution.

Some pits ARE far enough gone they have to be put down. Not ALL.
It's an owner issue there.

As far as China- well then perhaps sanctions against their treatment of "food sources" can be enforced. I've read some good ideas on some of these sites.

Reply to topic  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4