It is currently Jan 23, 2020 4:45 pm 

If you are looking for a new pet, click here for pets for needing adoption, rescue, or for sale.
Click here for lost/found pets and click here for pet related advertisements.

Image Rainbow Bridge page Image Add your fur baby here Image

Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Previous topic | Next topic 

Post subject: Animals
Post Posted: Sep 5, 2006 1:20 pm 
Active Pinecam Poster
Active Pinecam Poster
The majority of residents with more than 3 cats/dogs and livestock are in violation of zoning and/or water law and/or covenants, regulations that existed before they purchased their properties. The majority of the property up here was not intended for ranching and farming and raising animals when it was subdivided. Indian Hills had a building moratorium for decades because of ground water contamination including high nitrates.

Post subject:
Post Posted: Sep 5, 2006 1:26 pm 
Active Pinecam Poster
Active Pinecam Poster
ridgewalker wrote:
Blackwolf,

My intention was not to be rude (although I don't think you reply was particularly polite).

If you notice your first reply to me, then you can understand why my shackles went up.

Quote:
The shift people I know have lived here for many, many years and, without exception, moved into areas zoned residential (i.e. no livestock) and were later imposed upon by newer neighbors bringing livestock into the residential neighborhood. They moved here for the peace and quiet.

Then the livestock shouldn't be there if it's not zoned for livestock.

Quote:
As for your comment about them moving back to the city ... they have a right to live here and they have a right to expect a residential neighborhood to be exactly that.

I was not implying they move to the city, I was stating that it is much easier for them to move to the city than people with livestock.

Post subject:
Post Posted: Sep 5, 2006 1:31 pm 
Posts pretty often
Posts pretty often
but, it seems WWW's situation has nothing to do with someone "not liking" his animals.... seems as though PCounty just happen to find something and have now decided he is in violation. I wonder if they would ever even come back out to verify all animals were gone? I don't know... i love animals large, small, in between and all the rest. I make sure my animals are not a "bother" to anyone but ME.
I wish Worldwidewalter all the best in his current predicament. I would just like to see the "government" stay out of it seeing there is no complaint involved regarding the "non human species!"

Post subject:
Post Posted: Sep 5, 2006 1:32 pm 
Stratospheric Poster!
Stratospheric Poster!
Blackwolf,

I was simply trying to make a point about residential vs agricultural.

I apologize for the offense.

Post subject:
Post Posted: Sep 5, 2006 2:10 pm 
Active Pinecam Poster
Active Pinecam Poster
ridgewalker wrote:
Blackwolf,

I was simply trying to make a point about residential vs agricultural.

I apologize for the offense.

Apology accepted. I am sorry too if I was abrasive. There are so many homeless animals out there, that I get a little "touchy" when people have to get rid of their pets to appease another person. Some people move to the country to have these creatures.

I am sorry WWW, that you had to part with your animals. How heartbreaking. :(

Post subject:
Post Posted: Sep 5, 2006 2:18 pm 
Stratospheric Poster!
Stratospheric Poster!
I'm very touchy about animals as well.

Any time I go out in the ambulance to care for someone that has been thrown from a horse, I also make sure the horse is ok and that someone is taking responsibility for him/her.

I've often been known to stop and care for an injured animal (most recently, a forgotten day-old calf ... momma cow and I had a loooooong talk 'bout that one). :)

Post subject:
Post Posted: Sep 5, 2006 2:33 pm 
Stratospheric Poster!
Stratospheric Poster!
I know people who live in Denver and are zoned agriculture - right there at 6th Ave and Garrison and also along Hampden btwn Wadsworth and Kipling. They even have ditch water. So those people could move back to the city and take their livestock with them. LOL
When we bought our place in PJ, we made sure we had the proper zoning so that we could have alpacas. Turns out, we can have pretty much anything we want. I had ducks till something got them one day. :(

Post subject:
Post Posted: Sep 6, 2006 9:34 am 
Posts Semi-Regularly
Posts Semi-Regularly
When we were looking for horse property, it was scarce. There are ony a few communities around that allow for horses. Without these communities, we would be lost trying to find a home where we could keep our horses. Some people can not afford to purchase 35+ acres to get the "automatic" zoning that allows for them. We are very thankful every day to be able to have our horses home with us, where we can care for them the way we believe they should be cared for. We have had so many horrible horse boarding experiences, that we wouldn't have it any other way. Horse property that is closer to Denver is way too expensive for the average folk like us. Parker is suppose to be a great community for horses, but we couldn't find anything affordable there either. We had to come all the way to Bailey so that we could keep our horses with us and now we realize that we are not alone. There is a very strong horse community here. We love where we live. We love living and riding in the mountains.

Post subject:
Post Posted: Sep 6, 2006 10:18 am 
Active Pinecam Poster
Active Pinecam Poster
I still wonder what the deal is with the chickens? They don't use much water, you can keep them in a coop on pineshavings so that you don't polute the ground, and, especially if you do not have a rooster, they are very quiet...so why wouldn't they be allowed up here? I mean, I have friend in the city with a macaw- and let me tell you, that thing can make some seriously shrill noises. Is it because the parrot is inside and the chickens are outside? Because you can eat a chicken?
Sometimes I wonder about these zoning laws...
What happened, mister thread starter? Did you cull your flock or find a way to keep them?

Post subject:
Post Posted: Sep 6, 2006 10:45 am 
Posts Semi-Regularly
Posts Semi-Regularly
dobesol wrote:
I still wonder what the deal is with the chickens? They don't use much water, you can keep them in a coop on pineshavings so that you don't polute the ground

Horses don't drink that much either unless you have a lot of horses. We only have 2 and they drink about 75 gallons a week. My friend fills her bath tub more often for her kids than my horses drink in a week.

You can keep horses on pine shavings as well or have pea gravel delivered and have the manure picked up weekly by Mountain View Waste.

Post subject:
Post Posted: Sep 6, 2006 11:12 am 
Infrequent Pinecam poster
Infrequent Pinecam poster
Thanks to all for the input. The road that my neighbor wants to vacate had never been developed; it is simply just a field with grass growing in it. I talked with all of my close neighbors about my animals and made sure that they did not care if I had them. Before I got the animals I had two dogs that received several complaints for barking. I searched for an answer to this problem and found that if two people are willing to complain then I will get a ticket from Park County animal control. So I had my dogs de-barked. I still got complaints, yet I knew it was not my dogs. Just because I had two big dogs in my yard it was OK for someone to assume that they were barking. I had to prove to animal control by sending them to my vet that my dogs were de-barked. So finally Animal control quit coming to my house about barking dogs.

I asked Animal Control if I could have chickens, ducks ect... They said that I could, I asked them if the neighbors could complain about that, because I did not want to get them and have a complaint. Animal Control told me that they could not complain. So to make the story even longer, one neighbor works shift work and he said that the animals do not wake him up an they don't bother him. So I think all is well after talking to all of my close neighbors who I gladly give them a dozen eggs when I see them. Meanwhile the county changes the flow of water that leads to my house and each time it rains my culvert fills up with sand and road base and ends up on my property. I ask the county to solve their problem and remove the road base that makes it so no vegetation will grow on my property except the existing trees. Well after numerous calls it is still not fixed. I have stood [censored word] deep in freezing cold water with a 10 foot long shovel trying to keep my culvert open so the water and sand don?t wash out my house, I have to do this every time it rains, which had been allot lately. I even put in a 24" culvert. Still to keep the water from washing out my house, I stand in cold muddy freezing water shoveling to keep it from washing out my house. Now there is about 200 yards of road base that belongs to Park County in my back yard. After talking to several people who live up hill from my house they told me that the county changed the flow of water by removing a culvert across the road so that they do not have to maintain it. Now my back fence needs to be replace because it is three feet under Park County's road base. Where there is not suppose to be a road. The water flows over a mile from uphill to my house and it is not slowed down by anything. The county dug out the ditches and in one rainstorm were filled up again, an obvious problem. In closing I have found that if I complain to the County then the problem is not fixed, yet I can't enjoy my own property it is up to whoever wants to complain about me to decide what I can and can't do. Nothing like living in a free world. To add to my agony and discussed; my dog who went almost everywhere with me and was my best friend went to play with the neighbor kids and they took him to their house. Well their dog killed my dog. Now my little buddy is gone. Park County Animal Control issued the dog owners a ticket, however, because it was on their property it was torn up. When my neighbors thought my dogs were a problem to them I had them de-barked, I asked all of my close neighbors about the chickens and ducks and they said that they liked them and did not mind. So if I build a 6-foot privacy fence around my property would everyone just leave me alone, probably not.
I still have only a few weeks left to get rid of all my "small livestock" aka chickens and ducks or I get to stay 10 days in the county jail.

Post subject:
Post Posted: Sep 6, 2006 11:20 am 
Posts Semi-Regularly
Posts Semi-Regularly
Oh my gosh! I am so sorry you are going through this WorldWideWalter. It is so sad to me that people complain about everything these days and how that can ruin another's life! Prayers to you that people will mind their own business and you can live in peace.

Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next