It is currently Aug 7, 2020 6:58 am 

If you are looking for a new pet, click here for pets for needing adoption, rescue, or for sale.
Click here for lost/found pets and click here for pet related advertisements.

Image Rainbow Bridge page Image Add your fur baby here Image

Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Previous topic | Next topic 

Post subject:
Post Posted: Sep 20, 2006 10:39 pm 
Scanner Monitor
Scanner Monitor
You want to STOP a husky from digging?! from escaping??!? :rof laughing:

I've had diggers, a climber (could CLIMB a 6' solid wood fence, and hoist himself over!), and a couple of fence benders (working the kennel wire back and forth until it breaks a tiny hole which they manage to squeeze through).

For digging, I had a run with paving stones set in sand, outlined with buried railroad ties under the concrete-secured chain link posts. Very nice looking and secure, but $$$ and hard work building.

Of the four male huskies I've owned, I do not believe a shock collar would have stopped any of them -- they get so juiced up on adrenalin and STUBBORN (being males + Northern breed = double dose of stubborn! :) ). I don't think they'd even notice the pain!

Short of having your youngster declawed :lol: , I'd try the buried wire fence approach. You could also try placing very large rocks at the base of the fence, but for a whole acre, you'd need a LOT of large rocks. There are products that you sprinkle around that are supposed to repel animals, and I've also heard of placing / burying some of their own poop at digging spots, but with a husky, I think his determination would win out.

A word of warning: One of my fence benders, Smoky, did not survive his escape. My two (male :) ) huskies finagled through an impossibly small hole they worked in the wire of a run built to contain Golden Retrievers at 6am one morning shortly after I first moved in 18 years ago. I was less than 15 minutes behind them, searching frantically in my truck. A "neighbor" "mistook" Smoky for the dog that had been raiding his (illegal) chicken house, and shot him in the chest. This gorgeous, 5 year old, show dog bled to death in my lap on that man's driveway. My other escapee instantly became an indoor dog, and all my dogs have been inside since then. They spend lots of time on the deck, but never totally unsupervised.

Please let us know what you go with and how it works! :D

Post subject:
Post Posted: Sep 20, 2006 11:45 pm 
Prolific Pinecam Poster
Prolific Pinecam Poster
pacamom wrote:
Lay down sections of chain link fence on the inside of the fence. They can't dig thru it to begin with. You could build frames to attach it to. Then he would have to get under a whole section to dig. The grass will grow up thru it and you wont even see it after a while.

Um....grass with huskies that run around like raving lunatics? I have patches, but I don't think I'll get grass to grow over it. Of course if they can't dig thru it perhaps. :hugegrin:

Post subject:
Post Posted: Sep 20, 2006 11:58 pm 
Whoa momma! A top Pinecam poster!
I had the exact problem with an Akita/Lab mix. There was nothing she couldn't dig under. I tried rocks...she moved them...tried stakes in the ground...she found a way around them. She once dug a cavern in the back yard big enough for her and the golden to both go into....turn around...and come back out head first. Seriously thought about renting her out to the neighbors for any needed excavation work.

The solution that finally worked was an invisible fence just outside the original fence. If we just had an invisible fence she would have gone through it.....but to dig under the existing wire fence she would have to stay in the shock zone much longer than she was willing to. The cost online is fairly reasonable...check Dr Foster & Smith web site. they sell one for about $150.00 Cheaper than some of the other suggestions here I suspect.

Post subject:
Post Posted: Sep 21, 2006 7:11 am 
Stratospheric Poster!
Stratospheric Poster!
ColoradoKnights wrote:
pacamom wrote:
Lay down sections of chain link fence on the inside of the fence. They can't dig thru it to begin with. You could build frames to attach it to. Then he would have to get under a whole section to dig. The grass will grow up thru it and you wont even see it after a while.

Um....grass with huskies that run around like raving lunatics? I have patches, but I don't think I'll get grass to grow over it. Of course if they can't dig thru it perhaps. :hugegrin:

:hugegrin: I thought of that after I posted, but it is possible. Not in dry Pine Junction, but I have a friend with lots of sibes and the grass is taller than them by July. And the craters they dig get well hidden and then you fall in them never to be seen again.

Post subject:
Post Posted: Sep 21, 2006 8:06 am 
Scanner Monitor
Scanner Monitor
Another possibility is to build a small, say 6 or 8' by 10 or 12', maximum security run and confine him to it when he's unsupervised. Problem is, he won't like it unless the other dogs are in with him. It would be much easier and less costly to build than trying to fix the whole acre.

Then, when allowed to run in the 1 acre enclosure, under close supervision, have him on a 1" x 30' cotton or nylon lead. Again, he won't like that the other dogs can run further than he can, but he would be safe. Just don't use a chain, thin rope or cable which can injure any dog (or person) who gets tangled up!

A concern about the electronic collars -- the batteries can die, fall out, or the collar can come off. This happened to my neighbor's Lab, and he had a GREAT afternoon! Luckily, he returned home safely (but Labs are more like to do that than Sibes!)

???

Post subject:
Post Posted: Sep 21, 2006 8:24 am 
Infrequent Pinecam poster
Infrequent Pinecam poster
I had a Malamute that would dig under or chew through a wooden slat fence when I lived in the 'burbs. Over the course of a few months I tried the various ideals mentioned above, but what finally worked 100% of the time was an electric wire (for horses) mounted about 6" off the ground and about 6" from the fence. I think total cost was about $100 and took just a few hours to install.

Post subject:
Post Posted: Sep 21, 2006 9:35 am 
Posts Semi-Regularly
Posts Semi-Regularly
I also have a husky/malamute mix, the best thing that has worked for me is the electric horse fence along the bottom. I tried confining him to a more secure run but received several complaints by the neighbors because he howled and screamed the whole time. The electric fence would probably be the least expensive and most effective.

Post subject:
Post Posted: Sep 21, 2006 9:52 am 
Scanner Monitor
Scanner Monitor
Growing up, we had a German Shepherd that jumped the fence. Dad installed an electric line, and one jolt to the nose/toes was all it took to break him forever. The fence was never even turned on after that; as long as the wire was there, he respected it. A few seconds of pain is certainly better than what could happen if he keeps getting out!

Post subject:
Post Posted: Sep 21, 2006 11:44 am 
Active Pinecam Poster
Active Pinecam Poster
Yup, I agree with the horse fence. It is quite a jolt, but if the dog has any brains it should only take once. Better than ending up dead on the road or shot. Stockyards supply in Commerce City has everything you could need and they are very helpful. I have a solar powered one that has been going for 3 years without problem. I have only had to replace a 20 dollar battery about every 18 months or so. You can use wire or the visible mesh with thin wire in it. only problem would be winter. You would have to make sure it doesn't get buried in the snow. If you have a climber you can also string it at the top of the fence

Post subject:
Post Posted: Sep 21, 2006 12:12 pm 
Scanner Monitor
Scanner Monitor
Both paca and mushercubby have the right idea- my 3/4 acre fenced area for the dogs (1 a 5 year old fanatical digger siber) has this same thing all along the interior of the yard. It pops in some areas with gopher diggings but after 10 years for the most part it's grown over. Maybe 2? feet out and attached with 2x4's to the 6 ft fence frame. My special needs girl has never got out :hugegrin:

Post subject:
Post Posted: Sep 21, 2006 5:49 pm 
While a enclosed chain link kennel with a cement base is probably your best option, this may be a workable solution...

http://www.innotek.net/store/product_in ... de603f0c13

This system has the only collar on the market that lets you know that the collar is fit properly. If you think that this could work for you send me a pm and I can let you know the cost for what you need, pay no mind to the price on the web site, I can beat it.

Natalie

Just another link I pulled off the internet...

http://www.sureguard.com.au/

"If you are kind, people may accuse you of selfish, ulterior motives; Be kind anyway." -Mother Teresa Of Calcutta

http://www.pinecam.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=20745

Post subject:
Post Posted: Sep 22, 2006 1:54 pm 
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Oh my, Big Time poster!
I have one way to prevent a dog from digging under the fence.
Place chain-link or heavy wire mesh along fence line and bury it under a few inches of dirt and put several large rocks along the length (to secure it in place).

Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2