It is currently Aug 7, 2020 6:55 am 

If you are looking for a new pet, click here for pets for needing adoption, rescue, or for sale.
Click here for lost/found pets and click here for pet related advertisements.

Image Rainbow Bridge page Image Add your fur baby here Image

Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Previous topic | Next topic 

Post subject:
Post Posted: Nov 27, 2006 5:22 pm 
Posts Semi-Regularly
Posts Semi-Regularly
I am glad you are getting support from fellow mountain people. I do not have horses, but would like to in the future. I understood making sure my dogs are safe and I understood smaller livestock being at risk. I know understand horses being at the same risk. I am sorry your loss had to be educational for me.

My friend works at the Colorado State Vet office and I told her what happened for their records. I told her DOW was already advised of it.

Sorry for your loss.

Post subject:
Post Posted: Nov 27, 2006 11:35 pm 
Prolific Pinecam Poster
Prolific Pinecam Poster
My sympathy for loss of the foal.

May I suggest, that here in the mts, life is fagile, no matter the species. If you are a flight animal (horses)or a predator (lions, coyotes, bears) [for this discussion purpose] you know where you stand in the survival.

My heart goes out to anyone who has lost a "pet" to the natural habitat we live in.....

For those that "lurk" and want to learn here; please be certain, that you live in the mts, and there are prey animals. If you don't like it, please go back to the city. We live up here with the habitat; we accept it. We all try to protect our domestic animals the best we can...we may error in judgment; but we do our best...and I ask all of you, in these high mts, never forget that you must protect your domestic animals.

Post subject:
Post Posted: Nov 28, 2006 11:56 am 
Active Pinecam Poster
Active Pinecam Poster
MtRider, so true. When I lost my goat it was hard, but I accepted it for what it was and where we live.

Post subject:
Post Posted: Nov 28, 2006 12:56 pm 
Active Pinecam Poster
Active Pinecam Poster
my sympathy for your loss

Post subject:
Post Posted: Nov 28, 2006 1:00 pm 
Pinecam Hall of Fame poster!
Pinecam Hall of Fame poster!
MtRider wrote:
My sympathy for loss of the foal.

May I suggest, that here in the mts, life is fagile, no matter the species. If you are a flight animal (horses)or a predator (lions, coyotes, bears) [for this discussion purpose] you know where you stand in the survival.

My heart goes out to anyone who has lost a "pet" to the natural habitat we live in.....

For those that "lurk" and want to learn here; please be certain, that you live in the mts, and there are prey animals. If you don't like it, please go back to the city. We live up here with the habitat; we accept it. We all try to protect our domestic animals the best we can...we may error in judgment; but we do our best...and I ask all of you, in these high mts, never forget that you must protect your domestic animals.

Sorry. I don't buy the exclusiveness of 'in the mountains'.
Coyotes, red foxes, bears, mountain lions. If you are near natural water, you will have all of these natural predators and more. Roxborough is a fine example. I have found more cat collars than cacti in the fields.
The strength of the herd, to paraprase the DCHS motto, is how many prey survive. Do what you can, hope for the best, prepare for the worst.

Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4