It is currently Jan 24, 2020 5:02 am 

If you are looking for a new pet, click here for pets for needing adoption, rescue, or for sale.
Click here for lost/found pets and click here for pet related advertisements.

Image Rainbow Bridge page Image Add your fur baby here Image

Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Previous topic | Next topic 

Post subject:
Post Posted: Feb 3, 2007 12:32 pm 
Scanner Monitor
Scanner Monitor
Is she able to "go" OK?

Post subject: Re: Your sick dog
Post Posted: Feb 3, 2007 1:04 pm 
Posts pretty often
Posts pretty often
Hello-
I am a nurse and I prefer to use homeopathic medicine and natural cures if possible as it is easier on both the human and dog's systems.

In the past I have given my dog pumpkin pie filling as it has lots of good vitamins and minerals. For some reason it settles their systems. I was given this tip from Doc Gurney at Aspen Park Vet. I would stay away from the eggs as some dogs don't do well with the egg protein. I have also given my dogs raw crushed garlic just a little bit mixed in their food and feed in smaller portions. It is better to feed more frequently if you can 2-3 times a day smaller portions than one large portion. Garlic, when crushed releases a chemical called Allicin which helps to kill intestinal parasites. I used it in Mexico to prevent the fiesta tango and it worked quite well. Sounds like your dog got into something and you should collect a fresh stool sample for testing first thing Monday morning and bring the dog into the Vet for some blood work. Sometimes dogs eat deer or elk droppings and can get Giardia or clostridium difficile or other GI bugs. I have NOT heard good things at all about Rimadyl for dogs. Just my opinion from the research I have done. I recommend hopping online and reading some of the articles out there on Rimadyl NOT wriitten by the pharmaceutical companies pushing the stuff.

The bland diet is very good advice. Long grain brown rice or rice in general is easier on their systems. I soak all of my grains overnight before cooking. I would never give the rawhide chews. They are VERY difficult to digest and have in fact caused bowel perforations and bowel problems. A soft diet would be good right now and give the bowels a chance to rest. Good Luck and keep us all posted on your baby.....

Post subject:
Post Posted: Feb 3, 2007 1:12 pm 
Prolific Pinecam Poster
Prolific Pinecam Poster
It seems so Aspenleaf. However, when she does go (not to be to gross) it is warm and kind of melts down into the snow so unless I walk out into the field in the snow I can't really see it.

I just talked to the Vet -- she is on boiled chicken and rice tonight and tomorrow. As well as a little Pepto tonight before bed. If she is not better by Monday I will take her in first thing. The Vet says it could be a number of things. Might even be over feeding. We'll see -- I instructed my husband to keep his boots and jacket close by. He is on potty patrol the next two days.

My dog is happy as can be with all this added attention. She is our baby.

Post subject:
Post Posted: Feb 3, 2007 1:23 pm 
Prolific Pinecam Poster
Prolific Pinecam Poster
Thank you for all the great information Doubleheader. I had a bad feeling about the Rimadyl when it was prescribed.

The soreness in her leg did go away. However, I have a feeling that this all has something to do with either the Rimadyl prescription or her routine shots, she had last week. I guess we will see. She is very happy right now -- we are giving her lots of extra loves. Isn't she a beauty? If ever, I would like to have another dog exactly like her. I wish we could afford to clone her. She is so smart and so devoted to us, and the best little RV'er to be found. I got her at the Safeway Parking lot when she was a tiny pup -- eleven years ago.

Post subject: Re: Your dog
Post Posted: Feb 3, 2007 2:52 pm 
Posts pretty often
Posts pretty often
Yes! She is absolutely beautiful. You are most welcome. If she was fine up until the Rimadyl then you are right on....that is the problem!

Not to scare you, but review this information-websites below:
Check out this info...http://www.beaconforhealth.org/rimadyl.htm
Vomiting is a sign of drug intolerance in Rimadyl. I hope they told you specific side effects to watch closely for....
"Advise owners to watch for signs of drug intolerance, such as inappetence, vomiting, diarrhea, melena, polyuria/polydypsia, anemia, jaundice, lethargy, ataxia, seizure, or behavioral changes. Should these signs appear, have the owners stop the drug immediately and consult a veterinarian."
Another one:http://www.caps-web.org/rimadyl.php
I hope you have stopped the Rimadyl. Please read these articles...scary.
Can cause a lot of stomach problems and ulceration of the stomach.
My Vet prefers 1 Bufferin a day with food depending on the dog size. Works GREAT! I would wait until the stomach settles down however.
Good Luck! Sounds like your dog is very very LOVED! That is the BEST!
Pam

Post subject:
Post Posted: Feb 3, 2007 5:15 pm 
Prolific Pinecam Poster
Prolific Pinecam Poster
Wow! That is scary Pam. I stopped the Rimadyl immediately. She just had her boiled chicken and rice -- loved it. Then she went out to do her thing. She did a good job. My husband is out checking now.

She is very much loved. We find it hard to go on vacation if we have to fly -- because we can't take her. She is our constant companion.

My husband says her stool is greenish? Would that be from upset stomach?

Post subject:
Post Posted: Feb 3, 2007 5:16 pm 
Stratospheric Poster!
Stratospheric Poster!
she ate spinach ,,,, :hugegrin: :whistle:

Post subject:
Post Posted: Feb 3, 2007 5:21 pm 
Active Pinecam Poster
Active Pinecam Poster
We had Doc Gurney for our old girl 2 years ago and another thing he recommended to us to stabilize the stomach is raw hamburger rolled into small balls. Gets the good bacteria working. You can make a bunch and give as a frozen treat.
What a great looking dog.

Last edited by Ingrid and Joe on Feb 3, 2007 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
Post Posted: Feb 3, 2007 5:24 pm 
Prolific Pinecam Poster
Prolific Pinecam Poster
I am very worried about her now. :( She acts fine, happy.

Post subject:
Post Posted: Feb 3, 2007 5:37 pm 
Infrequent Pinecam poster
Infrequent Pinecam poster
Vomiting was one of the main symptoms of our dog's kidney failure. Her appetite got worse as time went by and eventually refused to eat. When her vomit came up green we knew she was in trouble; we tried for a week to save her but we ended up having to put her out of her misery. I hope this is not the case with your family member but you should be aware of some serious conditions. Best wishes.

Post subject:
Post Posted: Feb 3, 2007 5:43 pm 
Scanner Monitor
Scanner Monitor
Is your vet available after hours? If not, there is an ER clinic at VRCC http://www.vrcc.com/ . Be prepared, however, the last time I was there (quite a few years ago) it was $90 just to walk in the door! For me, though, even though I can't afford it, it's always been worth it for the peace of mind.

Post subject:
Post Posted: Feb 3, 2007 5:53 pm 
Prolific Pinecam Poster
Prolific Pinecam Poster
If she starts to act sick -- we will take her in immediately. She is like one of our children. How sad for you Tim1955. I will never get over having to put our Irish Setter down twelve years ago. Our Vet is Lone Rock. Our baby has an appetite is drinking water as usual.

Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next