It is currently Jan 24, 2020 4:52 am 

If you are looking for a new pet, click here for pets for needing adoption, rescue, or for sale.
Click here for lost/found pets and click here for pet related advertisements.

Image Rainbow Bridge page Image Add your fur baby here Image

Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Previous topic | Next topic 

Post subject: Re: Your Baby
Post Posted: Feb 3, 2007 6:23 pm 
Posts pretty often
Posts pretty often
Hello...it's Pam again...
I would also try some chicken with rice or chicken noodle soup. It makes our tummies feel better and will also make hers feel better. She will also get some sodium from the salt in the soup which will help if her electrolytes are off from diarrhea. The green could be from something she ate. I would just feed her things that are easy to digest. Just make sure the stool is not a dark black which could be blood in the stool. Also Pepto pills can make the stool dark in color due to the Sodium Bismuth. It also can make the tongue look black. Maybe the greenish is from the sodium bismuth. Remember to just give small meals more frequently. If you are home I would break them up into 5 meals a day...very small. Is she keeping her food down now?
Yes, VRCC is excellent. It is a huge hospital with all of the facilities etc. for pets, but it is quite expensive. Sounds like you are doing a GREAT job! When my do was sick I had to give her IV fluids every day. Not fun sticking your dog, but I did it because I wanted her around for years to come. We get so attached....I understand totally your worries. I don't want to advise against your Vet(Dr.), but I have heard too many horrible things about Rimidyl, especially with older dogs. How is the nose? Cool and moist?

Post subject:
Post Posted: Feb 3, 2007 7:02 pm 
Prolific Pinecam Poster
Prolific Pinecam Poster
Yes her nose is cool and moist. I just gave her the first dose of Pepto -- only 1/4 of a tablet, per Dr. I hope it is the Rimadyl that has made her sick -- then she will get better. She was only on it for eight days.

I will loose sleep tonight with the kidney failure talk. I will keep you posted as to how she does. I hope we are not standing outside with her again tonight in the frigid temperatures. She has been getting sick once a night, but wants to go out maybe four or five times. The first night she was sick three times while we were sleeping.

Thanks for all the information and recommendations. I forget that she is eleven years old. She will always be a puppy to me.

MK

Post subject:
Post Posted: Feb 3, 2007 7:18 pm 
Scanner Monitor
Scanner Monitor
Try not to worry too much. :) Vomiting can be a sign of LOTS of different things (very uncommon, unlikely things). I'll bet the Rymadel caused her stomach problems, and now that she's off it, she'll be fine. Please keep us updated on how she's doing (she IS beautiful, BTW) :)

Post subject:
Post Posted: Feb 3, 2007 7:52 pm 
Whoa momma! A top Pinecam poster!
Misskate wrote:
My husband says her stool is greenish? Would that be from upset stomach?

Have you given her a "Greenie" in the last week or so?

"If you are kind, people may accuse you of selfish, ulterior motives; Be kind anyway." -Mother Teresa Of Calcutta

http://www.pinecam.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=20745

Post subject:
Post Posted: Feb 3, 2007 8:00 pm 
Stratospheric Poster!
Stratospheric Poster!
About 6 months ago , our biscuit biter ate about a 1 square foot section outa a pair me sweat pants , light blue , in laundry basket ,,called vet , vet saay watch dog and stools ,,, kinda took close look at her dropping fer 3 days ,, no blue ,, just larger than nomal piles ,,, was cotton pants too , guess she just digested it . :hugegrin: :whistle:

good luck with your pup

Post subject:
Post Posted: Feb 3, 2007 9:33 pm 
Our dogs get pepcid ac, 1 pill per 10 pounds of dog, when vomitting. Also, the boiled rice and/or hamburger for about 3 days to chill out their stomachs. Then slowly reintrodue food. But, if it keeps going on and you aren't sure why, I'd get it checked out...
Hope your pups feel better!

Post subject:
Post Posted: Feb 4, 2007 9:22 am 
Prolific Pinecam Poster
Prolific Pinecam Poster
Hi to you all. And thanks for all the great recommendations. I am happy to report that "Miss Molly" slept through the night. I know, because I was up "all night" checking on her. I think she feels much better. I will keep her on the chicken and rice for a few days. I am amazed at how much she likes it, it is so bland. Just shows they will eat just about anything won't they?

I have never given her the Greenie things -- thank goodness. But she used to be given the raw hide sticks. I will be hesitant to give her those again. The raw hide sticks do keep her teeth really clean and her gums in good condition, from all the chewing. I had also heard about giving them pumpkin. I think that is a good thing.

Thanks again,

MK

Post subject:
Post Posted: Feb 4, 2007 9:36 am 
Scanner Monitor
Scanner Monitor
Great news! What a relief!! :hugegrin:

Post subject:
Post Posted: Feb 4, 2007 9:50 am 
Pinecam Hall of Fame poster!
Pinecam Hall of Fame poster!
Hi Miss Kate, you girl is a beauty and I'm so glad to read that she seems to be feeling better. I posted on another thread about an herbal remedy that I used on my old arthritic kitty. It's called Connectin by In Clover and they make preparations for dogs and cats. My cat got noticeable relief for her joint stiffness. Were you giving the rimadryl for arthritis? This herbal stuff may be a safer alternative. I got it at Buster's.
As an aside, before I knew better, I had a sheltie that was on Rimadryl and that vet told me to always give it with a full meal as it could cause ulcers and bleeding. That was in Jersey. Out here, when my young dog had a shoulder issue, a vet prescribed it and when I added, oh so give it with food, she looked at me quizzically and said, really, I don't think it matters...
I questioned her further stating what my previous told me and her reply was, well maybe that's true long term...this dog was prescribed it for two weeks, I guess it's all relative but geeze, 2 days in a dog that doesn't tolerate it well can be serious and shouldn't vets err on the side of caution????

Post subject:
Post Posted: Feb 4, 2007 10:03 am 
Prolific Pinecam Poster
Prolific Pinecam Poster
Hi JMiller,

Yes, it was always given with food. Right before I put her dish on the floor. I just think, if it was the Rimadyl that she cannot tolerate it. If she starts to limp again I will certainly look for a different remedy. I hate it in the summer when she has to be on the Prednazone for her allergies. But there is no way to stop the constant itching. She licks all the fur off her legs. She is allergic to grass of all things.

My son's dog had really bad allergies too. She was prescribed so much Prednazone down in Arizona that she became food aggressive and badly injured her sister dog. He is convinced that all the steroids ended up contributing to her death, last spring. I think you just have to be so careful what medications you give them. They can't tell you if they don't exactly feel right. I think I may lean toward homeopathic and herbal treatment in the future.

Post subject: Re: Miss Molly!
Post Posted: Feb 4, 2007 12:37 pm 
Posts pretty often
Posts pretty often
"I hate it in the summer when she has to be on the Prednazone for her allergies. But there is no way to stop the constant itching. She licks all the fur off her legs. She is allergic to grass of all things.

My son's dog had really bad allergies too. She was prescribed so much Prednazone down in Arizona that she became food aggressive and badly injured her sister dog. He is convinced that all the steroids ended up contributing to her death, last spring. I think you just have to be so careful what medications you give them. They can't tell you if they don't exactly feel right. I think I may lean toward homeopathic and herbal treatment in the future."

Fantastic! Sounds like your dog is feeling better. I have also found the Connectin to be helpful. Ask the Vet if you can give Benedryl for the Allergies instead of Steroids. Also I have found that a lot of dogs have low Thryroid when they have hair loss. I have also given my dog drops in the mouth of some natural allergy medicine by Bio Allers. You can get it at Vitamin Cottage. My husband also takes it. They have one specifically formulated for Grass and one for Tree Pollen. It amazes me how well this stuff works. No side affects as it is all natural, homeopathic.

For cleaning the teeth we give our dog baby carrots. They were started on those as puppies and love them! Much better for them and their digestive system than the rawhide chews. Don't know if your dog will eat them for treats, but worth a try....
Wishing you the BEST! Now tonight you get some sleep!
:hugegrin:

Post subject: Re: Your Dog!
Post Posted: Feb 10, 2007 11:19 pm 
Posts pretty often
Posts pretty often
Hello Miss Kate-
We haven't heard lately how your dog is doing....hope she is feeling better!
Pam :^)

Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next